SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jordan_macphee

Kale is getting leggy even under grow lights - what am I doing wrong?

Jordan MacPhee
9 years ago

My homemade grow light fixture setup. I don't know why my photos are uploading
upside down. They're right side up in my computer's folder. I tried flipping them upside down in the folder and re-uploading but they still did this. Oh well.

I
made the rookie mistake of letting kale grow indoors for four days after
germination without any grow lights (I was waiting for the weekend to make the fixtures), which made them get really leggy
(tall and spindly), and eventually fall over for the most part. I didn't throw them out, I just placed them under my grow lights in case they're salvageable. Likely not though. Here's what they look like:

So I replanted a new tray of kale and I finally got around to making my own grow
light fixtures out of dryer vent pipes and used grow bulbs (rather than
tubes). I read online that about 50w per square foot would be
sufficient, and I have 4 100w bulbs in about a 4.5' x 1' fixture, which seemed to be more than adequate, but my kale seems to be getting leggy again, even those that are directly underneath the grow lights. They're not falling over to the same extent, but they look almost identical to the first batch! Notice how tall and thin the seedlings even an inch away from the lights are:

Remarkable! Right side up!

So what am I doing wrong here? One thing I'm going to do is space out the lights so that they're distributed evenly instead of two bunches of two like they are now, but that won't do anything to solve the problem of those seedlings directly under light not growing properly. Just feeling pretty discouraged after two full trays and weeks and nothing much to show for it. Help much appreciated.

Comments (11)