SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Another job after retirement?

neetsiepie
4 years ago

I am eligible to retire with full pension in July. As much as I want to do that, finances won't allow it-my retirement is part pension and part 401k, so I can't start drawing on the 401K till Decemenber, 2020.

Today we just learned that a new bill will be signed by the Governor that will affect our retirement earnings and that is going to be an impetus for me to pull the plug earlier than later. Also today a former coworker posted a job that has opened up where she works so I texted her and asked if it would be something I could do. She replied that it would be, in fact it would probably be boring for me (according to her) and the pay is about 25% less than I make now. But it does provide health insurance-which is THE main factor that keeps me working where I work.

My expenses would actually be far less than what I have now-no parking or union dues, plus the health insurance is entirely provider paid, where mine I pay a portion.

I mentioned it to DH-the possiblity of retiring from my current job and taking on a less complicated one-but he's adamant that I retire so I can concentrate on my health. I think a job that would not require so much thinking would be perfect, even though I would have to be working full time. Plus, as I mentioned, the cuts to my retirement contribution (1/3 of my contribution will go to help the State pay down the unfunded liabiltiy while the balance would continue to go into my 401K) are a bif factor in my thinking of leaving my current job.

I am thinking of sending in a resume for this other job-it'll be the first time in nearly 30 years that I would have a private sector job, if I was successful! So I need you to help me weight this one out. I'm probably going to retire-for good-in two years-if I were to get this other job, and for sure in 18 months if I stay with the Government job I have.

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations