SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
klmcdonald731

Rental kitchen updates

Kristen
4 years ago

I'm moving into a rental soon and am looking for a way to update this older kitchen in reversible, budget friendly ways.

Some of my ideas for updates -

1. new hardware - what kind of knobs would work with these cabinets to give them a fresh look?

2. temporary wallpaper backsplash in a white subway tile?

3. vinyl floor cloth to cover the flooring in a fun black and white pattern?

4. a wooden shelf above the sink?

5. white contact paper on the cabinets - would this really be removable and worth the work?

Other ideas welcome!!

Some decor ideas -

Need ideas for the very empty corner with the tiny table! Thinking of using as a cute breakfast nook with some corner seating with pillows, a small round white table, and a fun neutral pendant lamp from the ceiling. Maybe some floating shelves above for more storage? Any other ideas here? Maybe a large hutch with storage and a coffee bar? Need seating and storage in a small amount of space unfortunately!

Also, the wooden storage with coffee pot next to the stove will be gone as this belongs to the current tenants. Any cute ideas for hidden storage in that spot?

Comments (48)

• PRO
    MDLN
    4 years ago

Would:

• do a really good cleaning of the cabinets,
    • paint walls a shade of green,
    • keep hardware simple, to not draw more attention to the cabinets,
    • NOT put contact paper on the cabinets, will not look good, and will be a nightmare to try to remove.
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Would it be hard to take the cabinet doors under the sink off their hinges and store them someplace? You could then get a tension rod and some fabric for the opening, since those are the worst looking of the cabinets.

I agree with leave the cabinet hardware alone. No need to add jewelry to the cupboards here.

Once you have your things in there and maybe paint (love the idea for the green) the kitchen will feel much more like yours. A few cheerful accessories and you will be golden.

• Related Discussions

Update on paint -- rental property

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks! It actually looks better than it looks in the picture. The lighting is a little off in the picture.
    ...See More

HELP Me Renovate This 900 Yr Old Kitchen!

Q

Comments (18)
    I agree with lazygardens above. Great solution. When my DH and I bought our 1925 bungalow it came with a kitchen that was remodeled in the 1950's. It had cabinets about the same style and color of your kitchen. The counters were old ugly red-ish formica which, like yours, were also on the backspash all the way to the base of the upper cabinets. We hated it and because we had just bought our house, we were on a shoestring budget. We sanded and painted our cabinets white, changed the hardware, and installed new laminate over the existing one with contact cement. For the backspash we pre- sized the formica and installed pre-pasted vinyl wallpaper over the top of it. (use vinyl wall paper because it is washable.) We updated the faucet. Those changes alone made the kitchen much more bearable and it was pretty cheap to do! For this being a rental I'd go with the paint, wallpaper and new laminate. You are lucky that your landlord is flexible and will let you do it. This solution for our kitchen tided us over for 20+ years. We are just now doing a full kitchen remodel.
    ...See More

Continuation of small rental kitchen: Induction in a rental?

Q

Comments (15)
    Nosoccermom, How could do you think renters would mess up an induction cooktop? Even when you don’t clean it, it stays clean. Items don’t burn into the surface. It is actually an easier to use and clean unit than a gas or electric range. The one risk that I experienced when I moved to induction was for the first week, I burned everything in sight. Who knew how much power a 3700watt burner on full blast really was when you don’t feel the heat from the surface. Induction does introduce some behaviors that spoil you for other things though, like putting a cotton towel next to a pot while cooking, or putting wooden utensils on the cooktop surface while cooking. These are things you should not do when using the gas burners.
    ...See More

Update on Vacation Rental

Q

Comments (20)
    I missed the back story on the exact situation you are in but you seem to be doing what you need to do and the apartment looks lovely. I agree, if things are tight you don't want to spend too much but just keep your eye out and you can find some great things that speak to you. Best wishes to you and so glad you are able to be creative with what you need to do!
    ...See More
  • mainenell
    4 years ago

As a landlord, I would not take kindly to a tenant changing the hardware without my permission.

I do not allow painting by tenants.

Any film you put on the cabinets would have to come off WITHOUT damaging the finish. And without leaving a residue that will date the finish in the process of removal. YOU would be responsible for the cost of refinishing. Expect to be billed for that labor, time, and materials.

• Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would ask permission for any change I want to make, just gathering some ideas first! I have permission to paint but have to have the color approved and also have permission to change hardware as long as I keep the originals.

• PRO
    MDLN
    4 years ago

Agree with above comments, ask permission first. Rented for a long time before buying, a couple landlords let me deduct costs of "upgrades" (paint, cabinet hardware, added cabinet to bath wall, etc.) if I provided receipts.

Your hardware looks like single screw, so should have many choices.

Maybe a kitchen cart for next to the stove.

• always1stepbehind
    4 years ago

I don't think it looks that bad...what needs attention is the grunge around the knobs on the cabinets. Just needs a good scrubbing.

• PRO
    MDLN
    4 years ago

Might put some fabric on a tension rod to cover the bottom and doors of sink base cabinet.

• annac54
    4 years ago

Absolutely NO to the contact paper. I had to remove it from a kitchen in a rental we bought and it took me days to finish it. We replaced the shelves that could be removed as it was such a pain to get the adhesive gunk off. Try the material that just lays in the cabinets without any adhesive. Or vinyl tile that you cut to shape and tape together on the back of the tile and place the whole thing in the cabinet.

• chloebud
    4 years ago

Lots of good suggestions to make this more special. I like Rita's suggestion of a tension rod and fabric for below the sink.

• gigirambles
    4 years ago

Definitely talk to the landlord before making any "permanent" changes. Also, this lady has LOTS of good ideas regarding decorating rentals. https://thehomesihavemade.com/

• hollybar
    4 years ago

Former tenant,current landlord here. ;-) I would remove and store the shelves under sink. Cover hole with cool fabric on tension rod. Put all my $$$ and efforts into figuring out a perfect set for the kitchen corner and for the cart near stove. When you can,share dimensions and you will get great advice. There are many Ikea/cabinet hacks that could work well there.

As for painting. Yes,ask the landlord. If he says "Yes,of course", then tell him your preferred colour and ask when he will get it done ;-) Unlikely to happen but you never know. If he balks at painting, ask if you provide the labor will he provide the paint for a color you mutually agree upon. If you have the honest intention of living there for a few years and you make that clear,they might agree. Best of Luck.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    4 years ago

How long is the lease?

I would not spend one cent to improve this space so your landlord benefits on your dime. Instead, scrub the place clean and add touches, which you own, and can take with you. A rug, polypropylene, would add some color:

• User
    4 years ago

I agree about cleaning the cabs...they might be just fine with a good scrubbing.

Oh and btw...here's the link to hardware that Century Hardware suggested. Just in case you feel like spending 17.99 PER HANDLE...

Belvedere Pull, Oil Rubbed Bronze · More Info

(Honestly people...if you're going to spam, at least think about the post you're spamming...)

• User
    4 years ago

Also...did you know you can create a faux backsplash with fabric and liquid starch? It peels right off and you simply have to wash the walls. In fact if you want a bedroom "feature wall", it's a great non-committal idea...

I like this idea because you can get a bunch of fun clearance fabric and also make curtains (non-sew using iron-on hemming tape)

ETA this is a great blog by a military wife (constant moving and rentals) who makes her home her own in very budget friendly ways. Because she moves a lot, she buys things that are inexpensive and might be used in her next home...

https://thehomesihavemade.com/

ETA again...apologies gigirambles. I missed that you already mentioned the blog...great minds :)

• everdebz
    4 years ago

I also think that de-greasing, cleaning, oiling is good. If the finish is about gone, Magic Eraser could be ok on the worst places. Or try t.s.p.

Then Murphy's oil soap... etc.

http://www.stagemyownhome.com/cleaning-kitchen-cabinets.html

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

My two cents:

We have all had T H A T rental! And since kitchens and bathrooms are where we spend a significant amount of our time, it's important to try to upgrade it and make it our own. There are several ways, without spending too much money or being concerned with reversing it all.

Giving it a good scrub top to bottom is without saying. The cabinets are not that ugly and remind me of a kitchen in Provence France. The point is not to ignore the cabinets and pretend they are not there. Try to keep the table and chairs and any other wood in the same tone as the cabinets. This way they won't stick out like a sore thumb. As you will notice below, the other more interesting pieces in the room divert your attention from the actual cabinets and it looks very intentional.

Most certainly change the hardware. Easy to do and makes a huge difference. Don't forget to keep the old hardware in a safe place to put back when you are ready to move on.

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

More two cents:

Here are examples of a light backsplash and a dark backsplash. The white backsplash highlights the cabinets, which you don't want to do. Consider a color the same as the cabinets or darker.

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

I could go on forever - haha

Backsplashes & paint: I love the suggestion above laminating fabric. Other suggestions are painting the back of clear glass and installing one piece with mirror clips (easy to keep clean and a bright color depending on your taste), or a brick removable wall covering on the backsplash all the way up to the ceiling and the long wall near the table, or a combination of two different color paints (see the oven shot below) notice the dark paint and isolating the light backsplash at the oven.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I like the matching fabric curtains and backsplash, but think the backsplash would get awfully dirty. Another trick is to use flashing from the hardware store as backsplash. You can have it custom cut to fit and then use tiny finishing nails at all the corners to help it stay up. When you leave, try to get the LL to pay you for it. Or fill the holes with toothpaste and move on. I always got LL to pay me for my improvements. Looks like some trim or a layer of the cabinetry material is missing at the bottom of the sink cabinet. You could replace that with a strip of luan. You might try cleaning the cabs with TSP (tri-sodium phosphate,) rinse it off, lightly sand and then tack off sanding dust before you rub on a stain in approximately the same color that they are now, including the new luan. Get some pop-on lights with sticky backs or double sided tape and put them under your upper cabinets to light your work surface and act as a kitchen night light. How many need to eat together in this kitchen? A corner nook would be great! Here's another idea if there are only one or two of you. Install a floating shelf and use stools. Get a washable rug to cover most of the floor. They may be too pricey for you but look at ruggable.com

Kitchen Reno on a Budget · More Info

A Bright and Airy Renovated Kitchen · More Info

• acm
    4 years ago

Given that the cabinet under the sink appears to be nearly rotted out, I'd ask the landlord for permission to paint the cabinets. You'd want to do it right -- TPS, sand, prime, paint -- but I think you'd like the resulting kitchen so much more. See if you can get a discount for your labor. Whatever you do with decor, those cabinets are going to need more than cleaning, from the look of it.

• Laura Hill
    4 years ago

A definite NO to contact paper on the cabinets (for the reasons stated above)... but what about using removable wallpaper instead? https://www.salthousenyc.com/how-to-transform-your-kitchen-cabinets-with-wallpaper/

• Kendrah
    4 years ago

I rented for 20 years before buying my house. I fully understand the desire to make a space your own and have done so many times in kitchens. However, I never changed the cabinets, counters, backsplash or floor. There are so many great, easy ways to make a space your own without changing those elements. Luckily you have a great neutral base to start with and most everything seems in good condition and well maintained.

What colors and styles best describe your tastes? I'd look for the following items you love that can make this place charming and take up a lot of visual real estate:

Back door and window curtains

Long floor runner in front of sink

Hand towels placed in oven door

Potholders displayed on wall

Decorative objects you love on the high up shelf

I generally like keeping countertops clear, but if you like canisters, they are another great way to bring in a decorative element.

• DH
    4 years ago

acm basically shared my idea about painting the cabinets, but my spin... As a former landlord, if tenants asked permission and were willing to put their own labor in (and I knew they could do it well), I was willing to reimburse them for part or all of the materials cost if what they wanted to do would be considered an upgrade and not be off-putting to future tenants.

Important to note though, in my city at least, that you can NOT withhold part of your rent for any reason, even if you have an agreement, verbal or written, that the landlord will reimburse you for something, or you could be subject to eviction proceedings.

So If they decide you have not done a good good enough job (and they’ll have to make reparations when you move out) or they’re otherwise sketchy and won’t reimburse you after they said they would, you still do not have the right to withhold your rent. You would have to seek resolution in other ways (like mediation or small claims court).

Get everything in writing for whatever agreement you make, and familiarize yourself with tenant-landlord laws (there’s often a “tenants bill of rights“ available online) in your area. It’s just a smart thing to do.

Those doors on the sink cabinet look to be in pretty rough shape, and I would not be surprised if there is signs of moisture damage and rot underneath the sink too—If not from a current leak, perhaps from a previous one.

At any rate, I think it would be reasonable to ask to have those cabinet doors, (and the floor of the cabinet base if needed) repaired or replaced. A moisture issue in the home is serious and needs to be addressed, or it could lead to more expensive repairs down the road. A good landlord will recognize that and be willing to make it right for you, and to protect their investment.

Not that you’re going to have any issues with your landlord necessarily, but the condition of those cabinets do raise a bit of a red flag for me.

If they wont repair or replace the doors, or it doesn’t really need that (maybe it’s just cosmetic wear and tear and not as bad as the photos make it look), I think doing ANYTHING to those cabinets would be considered an upgrade. The curtain is a really easy, non-permanent solution that would be super cute. Or if you’re willing to put the effort in and can get permission, painting at least the lower cabinets (with or without the curtain under the sink) would certainly be considered an improvement in my mind.

Like acm said though, if you like the idea and get permission to paint the cabinets (and yes, no contact paper!), be sure to do it right, even if you’re not being reimbursed for anything And it’s just worth it to yo to do. You don’t want a situation where the landlord could withhold some of your deposit because they have to undo what you’ve done, especially when they are not in great shape to start with.

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

Now to the table area:

This is your corner to shine. With the window and a good corner to create a perfect eating area, this will pull everything together.

Consider an upholstered bench with a back to go from the corner to the door moulding. It's ok if the back goes over the window a bit. Treat the window treatment as a frame around a painting and don't skimp on fabric and trim. If you get pre made curtains, install two widths on either side (instead of just one width per side).

The table should be a single pedestal table, especially with a banquette/bench, as it is impossible to slide past table legs. One great pull up chair should do it.

Also find a unique pendant light for over the table. If you don't have an ceiling outlet, install a hook and swag the cord to plug into an outlet.

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

We always need more storage in the kitchen. Create a multifunctional shelves and hanging system on the long blank wall. It will shallow and not take up much depth into the room. The key is to store food in the same clear containers for like product. Here's some inspiration.

• tatts
    4 years ago

I really, really hate fabric on tension rods where there should be proper cabinet doors. It looks cheap and slap-dash and temporary. Hate.

YMMV

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

I'm still thinking of a cute storage cabinet for next to the stove.

Years ago, my mom and I used to go to our "town clean-up days" where everyone would throw out what they didn't want. It was a blast. We had the same problem in our kitchen and she was a great innovator. We got an old desk and cut it up to fit the area. Yup, just sliced it down the middle and reattached it underneath. Then got a salvage piece of marble from our local marble guy cut to size. Of course we had to paint it a bright orange gloss! it was gorgeous and all those drawers and the file drawer was perfect for those darn plastic containers.

I'm not as daring as she was and love using Metro racks in the kitchen (always on craigslist and an inexpensive solution).

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

https://www.target.com/p/whitmor-baker-s-rack-with-cutting-board/-/A-53736043

This is from Target and 36" wide. Container Store has other sizes, but more expensive.

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

Just an explanation concerning fabric backsplashes: The fabric is laminated on plastic or on glass, Glass is easy to clean.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

I think pennydesign was describing the DIY fabric and starch kind of backsplash, not the laminated one, Denise.

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

Deco - I realized that. Just giving an alternative and inexpensive and removable solution to add some brightness to the kitchen.

When my son graduated college, he and his his friends all had that kitchen, so I have a lot of tricks up my sleeve. Sometimes it's a fun challenge and you can't make it any worse, no matter what you end up doing.

• housegal200
    4 years ago

Hack a short Ikea bookcase sideways, reinforcing it. Add seat cushions, an antique thrift shop round table and a couple chairs. Or find a small modern white tulip table for that corner. Add a drop pendant over the table. Oops, I see decoenthusiaste just suggested the same thing.

Transitional White Kitchen · More Info

• User
    4 years ago

Ikea does a tulip table...the Docksta for 199

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40063632/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5fK3_rTL4gIVmrrACh2OiAdmEAQYASABEgKGmPD_BwE

I hope Kristen comes back with updates...

• Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Unfortunately I won’t be moving in until August, but will provide updates with what I do! Thanks to all for the suggestions

• Denise Marchand
    4 years ago

Don't forget to let us know what you like and the style you are leaning towards. We are very needy as a group and love feedback! Good luck with your move!

• Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I would describe my taste as modern farmhouse, I love a mix of old and new. Here are some of my inspiration photos I've found.

The space in the corner is 69" by 57.5" - I wanted to use IKEA Kallax shelf units on their sides to build a DIY corner seating area but they will be slightly too long for the space unfortunately. I also plan to hang a pendant swag lamp as well in a natural color. Something like the second photo.

For the kitchen corner:

temporary wallpaper backsplash (although mentioned a white backsplash would highlight the cabinets, so I'm not sure on this one. Maybe a faux brick instead?)

For the flooring - either a vinyl floor cloth like the one pictured here, but since these are expensive maybe a large indoor/outdoor rug that can easily be cleaned. The floor space is right around 9' by 9'.

I also want to add floating shelves in the kitchen corner above the seating for extra storage.

• decoenthusiaste
    4 years ago

Check out ruggable.com for washable rugs.

• User
    4 years ago

Okay, so sounds like you're set on your ideas...much good luck in your future new home and congrats again!

• Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Another note - the house will be cleaned before I move in so I plan to wait to see what condition the cabinets are in and will likely give them a good thorough cleaning before I decide next steps.

I think the photos make them look a bit worse than they are in person, but will pay special attention to the cabinets below the sink to make sure they’re clean and there’s no moisture.

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    4 years ago

Krud kutter (red and white bottle in the paint section of a big box hardware store) is your friend. You can make a floor cloth using a canvas drop cloth, paint and a stencil very reasonably. You have a nice landlord to let you paint! Post updates.

• DH
    4 years ago

I think your plans and thinking are spot on. Best of luck!

• Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I’ve been living here for two weeks now and so far so good! I’m doing things slowly and finding thrift store/online finds so it’s still very bare but wanted to share an update.

The living room right next to the kitchen had extra unused space, so I created a dining nook there using a bench I already had and made more of an island/breakfast spot in the kitchen instead so I could have more storage. I plan to paint the small hutch ($10 garage sale find) but haven’t had the chance. My budget is tight but still looking for more low budget suggestions!

• Kristen
    Original Author
    4 years ago

One more

• everdebz
    4 years ago

You said low budget - for table I've heard people make their own chalk paint.

• Gcubed
    4 years ago

You did a good job!

• cyc2001
    4 years ago

Looking great! The space already looks warm and inviting.

• Olychick
    4 years ago

Looks wonderful! Your landlord should feel lucky to have a tenant like you. And hopefully, when s/he realizes it, s/he will let you refinish the fronts of those cabinets to look as nice as everything else you're doing.