SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erika_laing

Sconce Lighting around surface-mounted medicine cabinet (DEPTH Q)

Erika Laing
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

When choosing lighting around a surface-mounted medicine cabinet, how important is it that the sconces stick out further than the cabinet?

I am considering purchasing a cabinet that sticks out 5.5" from the wall.

Most wall sconces and LED light bars do not stick out that far. I am having a heck of a time finding something that is all of the following: out farther than 5.5 inches, bright enough (>= 100watts, LED, halogen, high lumen, etc), stylish.

Also -- how annoying is it that very few sites allow us to search by depth of the lighting fixture??

The scarcity of these options makes me think that perhaps it is NOT that important that the light fixture extends past the edge of the mirror, but I just can't shake the feeling that it would be a mistake to buy something of shallower depth than the cabinet.

My dream find: a very bright, energy efficient if possible, stylish (mid century perhaps), sconce or light bar between 8 and 24"-ish long, that extends far enough (6-8") from wall to create sufficient side lighting for the mirror of the cabinet as well as to generally light the small full bathroom.

Halp! Why is this issue so under-discussed? Does it not matter if your light is bright enough?? I just want to get it right!

Comments (5)