SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randynjen

How to cool condo loft

randynjen
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I have a mountain condo that was built in the early 1980's. There is only one window in this unit and it is about 2 feet from the ground. All the summer heat gets caught in the remaining 25 feet of loft. I can't alter the exterior of the building in any way; for that reason I've tried a window air conditioning unit. The square footage is under 900 square feet but the AC only cools the lower 4 to 5 feet of the condo. Basically it does a great job of making the floor cool but again none of the heat stuck in the ceiling can escape. I have installed a large ceiling fan at the top of the loft and I am considering adding a second fan. It gets hotter than Hades about 100 or more degrees and may cool to 85 at night. I'm hoping that someone may have a good suggestion. Currently we have the ceiling open to the beams and we are about to replace the insulation so if there's something that could be done while the ceiling is open please let me know.

The itty bitty window on the ground floor is pictured above. Only the small lower half opens. We open it as well as the neighbor across the halls itty bitty window for a cross breeze. All of the ceiling from the beam nearest the fan to the window is currently open and here is a view from the window up to the fan. It is open to the decking of the roof. We are getting new insulation installed and new drywall in the next month or so.

These are the 4th and 5th floors of our condominium building and I am in a center unit. The itty bitty window is our only source of fresh air. I don't have attic access and from what I can tell the building doesn't have any attic venting along the 5th floor. All Eight Units with lofts have complained about the heat in the summer and we are hoping there's a "whole house" solution. Also in the winter the snow pact is great enough we are unable to add any type of projections to the roof as it would most likely sheer off. (the chimney did just last year that's why the ceiling is open)

I was thinking is there a way to run a duct possibly from the top floor to the window at the bottom? Maybe I can run an AC unit in the upper floor and allow the cool air to fall to the lower floor. This is my only sad idea. I hope if there is a way to rectify the stifling heat we find the solution before the insurance company closes the ceiling up. All ideas are welcome.

-Thanks in advance

Comments (14)