SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theclose

Refrigerant leak? Not sure if I should get another opinion...

theclose
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on this forum. You were all so helpful when I chose and had a new system installed in Sept., 2013. Well, I'm back and not for a good reason! Our Bryant Evolution system is giving us some trouble. On Friday the fan/compressor stopped working. I did a little troubleshooting and found when I reset the breaker, start the system up again, it would work for about 15 min and then stop again. I had a tech from the company that installed come out today. While I had a good experience with the install, I am doubting the tech that came out today but not sure if I should.

Without checking anything, he said it was most likely a refrigerant leak. Then when he did go back to the unit, he hooked up the pressure gauge and said/showed me how he isn't getting any pressure at all. Options offered: recharge refrigerant which would be a waste of $ b/c if there is a leak then it will just need recharging again, or do the dye test which takes a week to diagnose. He didn't examine the line set, nothing. I thought this odd.

The reason he didn't instill much confidence is that he kept seeming wishy washy. When I questioned if is is 100% a refrigerant leak, he said he guesses, yes he's sure, etc. Said there's nothing else it can be. Is that true? I did some research on refrigerant leaks and there are mixed messages on the dye test (leaves gunk in the lines?).

So, what say you? Should I get another opinion? Could it be something else other than a leak? Should I press for another test other than the dye test?

FYI, system is:

CNPVP 4821 Cooling Coil
187 BNA 048 4-ton, 2-stage condensing unit

Thank you!

Comments (33)