SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redriver550

Curb appeal, foundation area

redriver550
4 years ago

I hate this new forum website. I had a whole thorough post, and instead of posting it, it just disappears when I hit next.

So anyways, 2nd try. I'll copy and paste so I can do it again.

I'm working on the front of my house, bed between the sidewalk and house/garage. The house faces East. The house is grayish brown now, like what is on the garage window area. The old bushes shown here are gone. I will post an updated pic tomorrow when the sun is in a better spot.

I have a huge hosta planted to the left of the garage skinny window. I'm working on planting one to the right. I'd like to plant two bushes centered to each side of that window as well, and then fill in with plants. Morning sun, rest of the day shade. I also have a few daylilies planted to the far left, about where the brick ends. It gets more sun there.

I thought about the bushes being arborvitae, cone shaped, but I don't have a good track record growing those. This soil has a lot of clay, takes a day or so to drain. I literally had a hole dug for the next hosta, that sat full of water at least a full day.

Around the corner, to the right, all the bushes are gone. I have symmetrically, planted two white hydrangeas, hostas and daylilies on the wall along the sidewalk to the front door. There's a lot of weeds that keep coming back. I weeded it many times last year and used Preen. It's all filling in again this year, so I will likely pull it all, and put down mulch. It takes too much time weeding and I have other areas that need attention.

The plants I tend to buy are purple tones, or coordinate with. I like to use white also.

I like different varieties of daylilies and hostas. This is about the only place in my yard that I can plant shade plants.

Anyhow, I'm looking for ideas to pretty this up. I have purple coneflower I can divide and use here, just not sure if that's a good choice for a front walk.

zone 5 Illinois

Comments (26)