SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcsend1231

WHICH ONE - Kitchen layout

Charla
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

This is a re-post because I didn't really get an answer previously, lol

Here's the facts: I have been to 2 kitchen designers. There are some non-negotiables: CANNOT move the window, CANNOT move the support beam (that the island is built into), the sink HAS to be 6' or more away from the window. The appliances are already purchased. One designer said that the fridge cannot go where the stove is because with the fridge doors open, it'll be too close to the island. We'll have plenty of drawers w/ a few base cabinets for tall items.

So, which do you prefer?

The "U" layout will only work if the cabinets on the short wall are 12" deep. The area would basically be a beverage bar, with the coffee maker tucked in the corner & cookbooks on the shelf, and the cabinets would serve as a food pantry. Does this layout have too many cabinets for this smallish kitchen?

Also, with the "U" layout, I can either have a 18" cabinet - the fridge - and a filler piece that dies into the corner (2nd pix). OR I can have a 12" cabinet next to the window - the fridge - and a 6" pull-out pantry (pic. 3). Would the 6" pantry be odd?

The "L" layout seems fine, but that empty wall seems like it's longing for something - other than a great piece of artwork. There would a 15" floor to ceiling pantry next to the fridge.

Okay. "L" or "U" layout???

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz