SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19039753

What? No Valedictorian or Salutatorian?

User
4 years ago

I went to my great nieces graduation Thursday. The student speakers were the Student Council President and the Class President (both girls BTW). Thought that odd. Looked in the program and no Valedictorian or Salutatorian were mentioned. And neither were recognized by the Principal. Odd.

They did have everyone who had an academic letter stand (and was amazed at the number who did stand -- started with one year and worked their way up to all four years of academic lettering and that was a lot of the kids).

So I asked great niece after -- where were the Salutatorian and Valedictorian. She explained that they didn't do that because it would "hurt" a kid's feelings if they were number 3 or 4 or 5. So they did the top 10%. (well, wonder if you were in the top 11% wouldn't your feelings be hurt because you didn't make the top 10?)

Great niece had a A+ average for all 4 years and she wasn't in the top 10!!!

So what difference is it that you come in number 3 or 4 or 5 or you come in number 16, 17 or 18?

Maybe I'm old school, but having a Salutatorian and Valedictorian is something to strive for academically. Is what they're doing like giving "participation" ribbons to all who come out for a sport rather than name a star athlete?

And is it the norm now? (We're a small family -- our last graduation was in 2001 so I understand things can change in 18 years)

Martha

Comments (99)