SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

Q: One layer for fleece blanket okay?

petalique
4 years ago

It appears that this forum gets only low traffic, but I’ll try my question anyway.

I bought some very pretty patterned “no pill” fleece a few years back. I want to make a small-ish (lap?) blanket for a nursing home patient than she can use as a supplement to bed blankets (but smaller, just to go over the body top of the bed blankets) or for when she sits in a wheel chair.

These fleece blankets can get quite warm, so I am planning on a single layer. I was going too use some yellow, wide satin binding, but read that might not launder or wear well. If I only do a single layer, it seems that most of those (flat lying) pull through (cut tabs, make hole, pull through) won’t be possible.

So my questions:

1. Is one layer of nice fleece fine?

2. Would about 45” square be a good size, or what might you suggest for an average-sized 85 year old (confined to bed and chair)?

3. Any suggestions on binding it? I don’t really care for a bulky, cluttered look of some of the square knotted fringe bindings. I have sewing machines with various attachments — rolled hem, edging feet, etc.. I’m running short of time, so might not be able to create a pearl cotton blanket stitch with a ?? Large needle or crochet hook. Maybe yellow cotton folded binding, as done with quilts (I’d have to machine stitch both sides, no time for hand hemming).

Thanks for anyone offering your time and talent. Happy Mother’s Day!

PS (I have embroidered her name onto a label that I will hand or machine stitch onto the blanket.)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor