SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
edanz

Training climbing rose?

edanz
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

Hello. First year planting roses, so lots of questions. Here I have two questions:

1. My dormant, bare root roses have 3 or 4 big canes that were sniped a few inches off the ground. Buds off of these are already waking up and growing. Now I have read all about main canes and lateral canes. My first question is regarding the growth off of the sniped main canes: Will I treat these as laterals in the future, or since the main cane has been cut so close to the ground, will these essentially become new main canes? Must all main canes come from the ground directly, or is it ever possible for main canes to branch off close to the ground into two or three main canes?

2. My second question is regarding a climbing potted rose that appears to have all the main canes pruned at about a 3 feet off the bottom. These are very thick older canes that are producing laterals that are already in bloom. It will be impossible to train these canes as they are too thick and going straight up. So then, will I eventually just have to cut these at the ground in winter and only train the new softer main canes?

Sorry for the long questions, but as I said, I'm totally new to roses in general.

Many thanks!

Comments (4)