SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Comments (116)

• Nil13 usda:10a sunset:21 LA,CA (Mount Wash.)
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I'm guessing, "staging". Probably individual plants, artfully potted, and grown into one another.

Obviously not the maughanii or truncata.

That maughanii is just old.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hm. That's a good way to save space, at least.

That maughani is incredibly old! Just look at my H. maughani "Shiko". I don't think it's done anything in the last three or so years.

This H. bayeri Suisyo is at least doing something.

This one is H. heidelbergensis var scabra

H. emelyae var comptoniana

Bonus pic: E. gorgonis

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Oh more! If you scroll up to the top of this thread, that's a Yuki Kesheiki or Yukigeishiki. This one below is what mine looks like lol

More from today: H. truncata philae, easily my most orderly truncata:

Vector which I'm going to put it in full sun today, it needs a bit of blush. It turns green very quickly in the shade. Took maybe two weeks out of the blurples. It got way bigger at the same time, though.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Pagan, maybe your Haws are telling you something about your hard style of care....LOL.

Haworthia Shiko

Haworthia Vector

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I tried to spoil them last autumn, doc, I swear! I lost interest around winter though. And just now, I think I just killed my Marten. Anyone got an extra, I'll be pleased to relieve you of it (yes, I know, the nerve lol as if anyone would part from a Marten). Mental note: Matrix needs at least a couple of months to acclimate to full sun. I'm an idiot.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Pagan, not that this will make you feel better, here is lost roots Crystal Ball in the ICU.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Overcast again. These are a little blurry (couldn't be arsed with a tripod).

H. mutica

The spiky one on the left is my very etiolated Haworthiopsis viscosa var. viridissima. It really needs to get out of this community pot and be grown in the sun. On the foreground, H. venosa--almost like a weed in the collection.

In the same pot, Gasteria armstrongii and behind it, H. viscosa (but not viridissima--how do i know? I don't! lol Arid Lands said so and their roots are actually separated by a divider just so I'd remember when I dig them up.)

H. chloracantha, flash

H. bayeri var laeta

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Next, H. reticulata var hurlingii

This one below is one of the first 7 haworthias I got in 2012, H. cooperi var dielseana. It typically grows as a solitary rosette and supposedly offsets only rarely. And it's true! I dug this out last February to see what's going on with that new rosette because it was growing out from a space between the lower leaves. True enough, it grew out of a left-over leaf that I pulled out because it was damaged by under-watering. I've tried to propagate this from leaves before but I've not been able to make it work. So I guess the secret is to yank a healthy leaf out and make sure you don't succeed at removing it cleanly lol When I checked, though, the new rosette did not have roots of its own. Hopefully, it will grow them eventually so I can remove it. I'll check again in autumn.

In my defense, this is what it looked like when I tried to clean it up.

H. pygmaea "Madonna" (MG)

H. mutica var nigra (STC)

H. truncata "Sizanumi" (HL)

H. margaritifera

Bonus pic: adromischus leaf-rooting pot that now looks too cool to disassemble:

(p.s. yes, it has to be disassembled or the plantlets will eventually etiolate as they jockey for light.)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Some of my seedlings of unknown parentage. Hoping they look better when they’re all grown up!

Group pose

• Jeff (5b)
    4 years ago

Nice photos and plants you guys/gals.

Here are some seedlings I've been trying to post but haven't worked. I tried doing a screenshot of them and they work. I don't know what the deal is with some of them. Too large?

They look less like Gasterias now.

Haworthia esterhuizenii x badia

I didn't realize how interesting this one looked until I saw it in the camera. Doesn't look like anything other than an alien. I keep thinking 'mutant', but that name is already taken.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Who among you is smart or knowledgeable to answer this quandary? This is the plant.

This is the spike of this plant with seed pods to the end!

These are the seeds from the ripe pods.

This plant is outside with all my other Haworthia, many of which are in spike. Here’s the deal: NONE of them have seed pods! To the best of my knowledge Haworthia ARE NOT selfing. So how do I have a 15” spike loaded with maturing pods?

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Well, doc. You were the one who told me the pollen is ready almost as soon as the flower opens and I had to wait a couple of more days before the stigma matured enough to receive pollen.

So, it's possible that when the pollinator showed up, only that plant had mature enough flowers/stigma to receive pollen. The other plants probably had plenty of pollen but needed a few more days for their stigma to mature. It could be that the pollinator/s that did this didn't return to the succeeding days to cross the other side when they were ready to receive pollen.

Or--and this removes the staggering coincidence--that particular plant had the most healthy and fertile stigma on its stalk and the other plants were less than ideal and so the pollination didn't take.

I'm leaning more towards timing, though.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

I have been informed that there are a few Haworthia that are selfing. Apparently, this picta-splendens hybrid is one of them. Whatever the mechanism, I’m going to have a few nice seedlings...I hope.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hey, that's excellent! I'm going to let mine bloom and put it outside the screen. Hopefully, someone will come by and deal.

• in_awe
    4 years ago

I moved from Michigan to Florida at the end of last summer and lost track of this thread. Finally caught back up. It's interesting learning to work with an overabundance of sun, rain, and humidity instead of freezing temperatures. I've lost a few plants, mainly variegated ones that couldn't handle the sun, but overall my collection is doing OK, and some plants are even thriving. Here are some pics:

And some from Mini Garden that are stressed out by too much direct sun:

Haworthia "Yukigeishiki"

(front row from Mini Garden, back row from other sources)

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Didn't know you moved...Hope FL suits you. Where in FL are you? Agree, you need some serious shade cloth in FL. ~ 70% or more.

• in_awe
    4 years ago

Doc,

Northeast Florida, a little bit south of St. Augustine.

I have a small greenhouse structure that I bought that I plan to put shade cloth over. I just have to figure out where to set it up. I'm not sure on whether to leave it open to all of the rain we're getting right now though. 90+ degree heat with daily rain showers and high humidity. Other than a few plants though, I haven't found any major issues with root loss yet, and it sure is nice not having to water by hand.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Just be careful with Haws and Euphorbia and anything that goes semi- dormant with that kind of heat. I almost stop watering when it gets like that up here. And all my outside plants are covered.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I know the red and coppery colours can look kind of freaky (especially when accompanied by wrinkling) but they do look gorgeous! I agree with doc's heat warning. I also strongly recommend not using the greenhouse structure without positive air movement (just park a fan in there). Even in coastal Zone 7 where I am and my haworthias in a screened pergola, the more sensitive ones will react to heat AND humidity. Fortunately, a fan is usually enough to move the coastal air around.

• in_awe
    4 years ago

For the summer I'll only use the greenhouse as a frame for shade cloth, with possibly some plastic at the top to block the frequent rain. During the winter I'll put the full cover on to protect from the occasional below-freezing night.

• in_awe
    4 years ago

Doc,

I saw your post on FB of your Haworthia koelmaniorum x pygmaea. Wow, I wouldn't have throught that that cross would work, considering that koelmaniorum is now considered to be an outlier of Haworthiopsis. Have you tried crossing that plant with anything else? Do you know if there are other successful Haworthia x Haworthiopsis crosses out there?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

That one isn’t my cross. I got that from Mr Hammer years ago.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Would you mind posting that pic here, doc?

• Jeff (5b)
    4 years ago

I could use some advice. I have my first and only Haworthia growing from a leaf cutting. It's a tiny venosa on a very crispy leaf. It's only about 4mm tall. I don't really see any roots. Should I let it keep growing on the leaf at this point?

I can't tell if that green thing at the bottom is another plant or what. I don't really see any roots yet.

P.S. I'd also like to see doc's pic.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

As a challenge, definitely. Put it in actual soil, indoors this summer. Babysit by spritzing the base regularly (pointed spritz, not wide spray--too hot for showers, it might melt; and definitely not actual pour-watering). That green thing looks like another plant. Keep us posted!

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

For you, Pagan.

• Pagan
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Nice! Very strong koelmaniorum in that cross, doc. I wonder if it turns copper or pink in the sun?

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

And I think you can appreciate the bristle nature of pygmaea, also. The species has more of a marbled texture. I don't know, if it has a sun related color change.

• Charline X
    4 years ago

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    4 years ago

Do you know how many pages I had to leaf through to resurrect this beautiful work of plant art!?!?

These are the same plant. Haworthia truncata ‘Praxiz’

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

I can’t believe how long it’s been since the last posting!!! And, it was me! Please don’t tell me you Haworthians have lost interest in contributing to this most wonderful thread. You must have new plants or other maturing plants to share. So let’s hear from you...what else do you have to do while you’re being intelligent and staying at home.

Haworthia Black Bear

Haworthia Utahime

Haworthia Odori

Haworthia Maki

Haworthia Shinkurozato

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

What to do when Haworthia cooperii v truncata Bolo Reserve dies in the middle because of the surrounding growth? You unpot it, remove as many reasonable offsets as you can, repot and discard the junk!

• Jeff (5b)
    3 years ago

Hi Doc. For now I just have this phone photo. I haven't been doing much photography lately. These are all hybrids from seed in 2" pots.

Top left: H. Matrix x comptoniana 'Thumbalina"

Top middle: H. esterhuienii x badia, although it doesn't look like it should.

Top right: unsure

Bottom left: H. springbok x byakua

Bottom middle: Magnifica Atrofusca Mutant revert x Emylyae Major

Bottom right: unsure at the moment, Comptiona x Picta? or from some misc. mixture. I also can't tell if it's etiolated or as it should be.

None of these are my own seeds.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Jeff, nice work! Glad to see someone is still awake out there in Haworthialand. I like top and bottom left the most. Frm whom did you purchase your seed?

Here are some of my seedlings from crosses I’ve made. Since I am too lazy to keep records, I am not certain about the parents except for the first group. Thirse are H splendens x picta Beige Cream

Most of these have either picta or splendens as a parent.

And these have obvious parents.

• Jeff (5b)
    3 years ago

All except the top middle were from Sandy's Succulent Garden on Instagram. She mainly sells plants but has been doing hybrid seeds. As far as I know, she's only been doing that for two or three years (as far as selling them anyway), so they're pretty experimental.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Jeff, that wouldnt be Sandy Quimby Nicholls in California.

• Jeff (5b)
    3 years ago

Yes sir. I only know her by Sandy. Very nice and helpful. I do have one plant I bought from her.

Here is another one(s) that may be really nice. H. Emelyae x Picta x byakua, x Pygmaea

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Jeff, that is nice. Show us the plant you bought from Sandy

• Jeff (5b)
    3 years ago

Haworthia pygmaea mutant 'Ice City' is from Sandy. Most of hers are out of my price range. This was a small offset I got a couple of years ago that didn't grow well until I put it in a lower light spot a couple of months ago. Just barely starting to look how it's supposed to.

The ubiquitous H. obtusa black (from Minigarden two years ago). You can really see the lack of green here.

Every photo has one hair in it and yet I always forget to brush them before shooting.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Jeff, MiniGarden has a pygmaea mutant but ive not seen it called “Ice City”. Sandy is extremely nice, grows magnificent plants and always helpful. This is my pygmaea mutant

And another with some stress hence the color difference.

Then there is Icy Tree

• Jeff (5b)
    3 years ago

Those are great. I'll have to show it again when it grows up. Hers looks icier. She seems to have quite a few varieties that look frosty to me. Really interesting.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Some new arrivals To stimulate some summer interest.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

I’m back with the last purchase for this season. Seems I was the last person to post. These are all picta hybrids and all are very similar in their appearance. I’m just a softie for picta. Unfortunate the virus has caused a loss in interest. I hope others will find some time and let us know how you’re holding up

• Jeff (5b)
    3 years ago

STILL can't post multiple photos here?

Cymbiformis offset. The closest to albino that stayed alive.

I have more but I'm frustrated. I've been thinking of doc and have wanted to some for quite a while. Finally got to it.

• bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
    3 years ago

Nice, Jeff. Glad you found your desire. On another note, thanks to Rina for her concern as to my whereabouts....I'm still here and safe, just another year older!

• Jeff (5b)
    3 years ago

I'll post one at a time. Here are three from Sandy's Succulent Garden seeds. Still small.

Emelyae x Picta x byakua, x Pygmaea

• Jeff (5b)
    3 years ago

Springbok hybrid x byakuya

• Jeff (5b)
    3 years ago

Docs fave - Magnifica Atrofusca Mutant revert x Emelyae Major

• John (Zone 5b/6a, IN)
    last year

Seems it's been awhile since someone posted but I think it's time to knock a bit of the rust off.

H. mirabilis var. mirabilis (Bayer) or H. joleneae (Hayashi) on 04.14.22

The same plant on 01.28.23

And here's my H. truncata x maughanii on 01.10.22 shortly after i got it from a friend who was moving.

And here it is on 01/08/2023

Once it grows out of those more stretched out, yellow-ish leaves it'll be looking pretty good. Not bad for a years worth of growth, at least for me.