SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_998793437

Indoor Korean Fir Top Dying

steve A
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I bought this Korean fir in October of last year and potted it immediately according to the instructions the lady at the store told me. She sold me all the potting stuff. Its like gravel on the bottom, mixed gravel and potting soil in the middle, and potting soil on the top layer. Around Christmas in December, I brought it in from the veranda and put lights on it and a few ornaments.Fast forward to February after I put it back on the (south facing) veranda. The needles at the top started turning brown. The needles on the level just below the top crown fell off just by rubbing with my hand. The top crown needles will not fall off yet with just hand contact. They feel spongy when I press them, like they're alive (but just barely) and dangling over the abyss by a thread.When I first got the tree, I was only watering it weekly. Also, it didn't receive a lot of light during December and January after I had moved it inside. I started watering it more when I moved it back to the south facing veranda. I should also tell you that I live in Korea and the veranda gets tons of morning light. There is a lot of new spring growth happily sprouting out all over. The two questions are: 1) what was probably the cause (i.e. over or underwatering), and 2) do I need to prune the top?

Comments (6)