Does anyone know who sells Hoary (hairy) Pucoon plants ?

whatis123 Mo.(6)(Mo)

It's difficult to find them for sale on the Internet.

SaveComment9Like
Comments (9)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

No, I don't know anywhere to get plants, and it seems that seeds are now impossible to find. I've heard it's very hard to start from seed. If you want something with a similar yellow flower in the Borage family you can grow Amsinckias, fiddlenecks.

Save    
whatis123 Mo.(6)(Mo)

Thanks for the information about that yellow flower Jay. I did a little scouting and found the Pucoon may be purchased at Hidden Savanna Nursery and the seeds at Prairie Seed Source. Although they all say the seeds are almost impossible to germinate.

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Since they come in banks in the wild (not one alone), they evidently propagate.

1 Like Save     Thanked by whatis123 Mo.(6)
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Are you going to get a plant? I couldn't find a place when I looked. We've talked about it's germination before, wondering if it needs some kind of beneficial fungi or something. I've never seen a specimen close up. Thank you for the info!

Save    
whatis123 Mo.(6)(Mo)

Now that I read about it I don't think I would get that plant . Seems to need sandy and dry conditions. Your fiddlenecks sound interesting though even though they're considered weeds. They may be only good for the West so I'm inquiring if they would survive in mid Missouri. Painted Ladies seem to enjoy them.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I've considered the fiddlenecks. I only recently discovered them, but yeah, I've seen them on weed lists, that's one weed I want lol. I grow leadplant and lupins, I just ammend the soil with a lot of sand and you can then grow other plants too like Opuntia and Missouri primrose.

Save    
WoodsTea 6a MO(6a)

I've seen Hoary Puccoon out on the Hi Lonesome Prairie southeast of Sedalia, MO in a field that didn't look particularly sandy, more just like good ol' upland Missouri tallgrass pasture. It was in an area that had been burned recently, along with various grasses just emerging, Nothoscordum bivalve, Viola pedata, and Castilleja coccinea. So I don't think it needs sand necessarily, but whether some other organism needs to be there seems like it could be a possibility.

1 Like Save    
dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

They grow wild around here, along the roadsides in ditches. Very sandy, dry soil. I have tried transplanting but with mixed success. Supposedly, the U of Mn has tried to cultivate them for commercial purposes but was never successful. I doubt any grower would be able to sell them. I haven't tried to collect seed, might do that this year.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, I'd love some seeds too. It's rare in these part as far as I know. It would be shocking to run into some by a train track or something. You put that idea in my head, I'm going to do it lol!

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Gardening Guides Invite Mining Bees to Your Garden by Planting Their Favorite Plants
Look for mining bees (Andrena) pollinating woodland wildflowers in U.S. gardens this spring
Full Story
Gardening Guides 6 Plants That Beat Butterfly Bush for the Wildlife Draw
It's invasive, a nonnative and a poor insect magnet. Check out these better alternatives to butterfly bush in the garden
Full Story
Gardening Guides Small Carpenter Bees Are Looking for a Home in Your Plant Stems
Provide flowers and nesting sites in your garden for this beautiful, tiny, metallic blue wild bee — your plants will thank you
Full Story