SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
saconnon

Perle d’Or failing. High salinity?

I planted all my roses last fall and they all looked good with lush green new growth until 10 days ago I noticed Perle d’Or started to get yellow veins on the old leaves and some brown leaf edges. I thought maybe some nutrient deficiency so I gave a little Miracle-Gro about 3 days ago. However, subsequently after searches online yesterday I have found no description of this exact problem. Nitrogen and Iron deficiency should be yellow leaves with green veins where Nitrogen deficiency affects old leaves first and Iron deficiency the new leaves. My veins are yellow and some brown edges so I wonder if too many salts in my soil near the house foundation? The house was just restuccoed before the roses were planted and lots of fine stucco cement was dropped into the soil here. Maybe that diluted Miracle-Gro was a bad idea. I tested the pH yesterday from soil collected at the base of PdO and it is between 6.5 and 7.0 same as all other places in the yard I have tested. PdO is one of 3 roses along the foundation. The other two are Lady of Shallot and Belinda’s Blush, which look fine. More digging reveals a study that shows PdO is not very salt tolerant and Belinda’s Dream is very salt tolerant (Belinda’s Blush is a sport of BD). https://journals.ashs.org/hortsci/view/journals/hortsci/49/5/article-p544.xml The key finding from this link (in case it doesn’t work for you) is quoted below:
A greenhouse study was conducted to evaluate 18 Earth-Kind® rose cultivars (Belinda’s Dream, Cecile Brunner, Climbing Pinkie, Ducher, Duchesse de Brabant, Else Poulsen, Georgetown Tea, La Marne, Madame Antoine Mari, Marie Daly, Monsieur Tillier, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Mutabilis, Perle d’Or, Reve d’Or, Sea Foam, Souvenir de St. Anne’s, and Spice) in College Station and 10 of the same 18 cultivars in El Paso in response to two salinity levels at electrical conductivity (EC) of 1.2 (control, nutrient solution) and 10.0 dS·m−1 (EC 10). In both locations, ‘Belinda’s Dream’ and ‘Climbing Pinkie’ in EC 10 had no or little reduction in shoot growth, flower number, and leaf SPAD readings. The net photosynthetic rate (Pn), stomatal conductance (gS), and transpiration (E) did not decrease in these two cultivars at EC 10 in El Paso. In College Station, ‘Mrs. Dudley Cross’, ‘Reve d’Or’, and ‘Sea Foam’ in EC 10 also had no or little reduction in shoot growth, flower number, and leaf SPAD readings. In both locations, ‘Cecile Brunner’ and ‘Else Poulsen’ in EC 10 had severe visual foliar salt damage, and they had the greatest reductions in shoot growth and flower number. In addition to these two cultivars, the lowest relative shoot dry weight (DW) and flower number was observed in ‘Madame Antoine Mari’, ‘Perle d’Or’, ‘Spice’, and ‘Souvenir de St. Anne’s’ in College Station. In summary, ‘Belinda’s Dream’, ‘Climbing Pinkie’, ‘ Mrs. Dudley Cross’, ‘Reve d’Or’, and ‘Sea Foam’ were the most salt-tolerant cultivars, whereas ‘Cecile Brunner’, ‘Else Poulsen’, ‘Madame Antoine Mari’, ‘Perle d’Or’, ‘Spice’, and ‘Souvenir de St. Anne’s’ were the least salt-tolerant among the cultivars investigated.

Her is what PdO looks like today and when I took pictures I noticed a few buds in each cluster were dead and fell off when I touched them. Maybe it just won’t be a keeper in my yard. Does this condition look familiar to anyone? Does it look like too much salinity in the soil (I can’t find any pictures of rose leaves affected by high salinity). Thank you in advance for all ideas and suggestions.

Comments (9)