SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nicole___

My neighbor just got her elderly dog back from a 7 day kennel visit..

nicole___
5 years ago

Her collie is "now" emaciated, dehydrated and injured. It's traumatized, in shock, slowly recovering.

11 years old. An AKC full sized Collie. She is timid, sweet, elderly. Easily frightened temperament, this is just her personality.

When her owner picked her up she found the dog so frightened and traumatized, it wouldn't get up. It hadn't drunk water or eaten in the 7 days it had been housed at this kennel. Her front paw had a large open wound, was swollen and bleeding. She was told the dog was frightened by all the noise of the 30 other boarded barking dogs, their anxiety freaked her out. They had tried taking her on a walk "once" and it hadn't helped.

I think THIS dog should NEVER have been left in a kennel. (owner error) It needs a house sitter. I also think the kennel was in error to just leave it in a frightened heap, laying in it's own excrement for a week. After I called the kennel and asked "them" "What happened", I reviewed the kennel, gave it one star(the lowest rating possible), explaining the blatant neglect and mishandling.

??? What do you think? Once the kennel had THIS dog in it's care, how should it have been handled differently? If one dog needs more care than the others, should the kennel be held responsible? That is the question?

Comments (46)