SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beveridge_susan

New Kurapia Lawn - Sod vs. Plugs

There is a new variety of Kurapia that seems like it would be better for me - called New White. It is darker green, less stems and less flowers, nicer foliage generally. My personal random estimation is that it is 20% better for what I want and like. So I would like to install that.

However, it is only available as plugs so far, not sod. So, weeds. Although the topsoil will be new, so it will be only new blown weed seeds (theoretically, hahahahaha, I've heard the horror stories). No turf grass trying to sprout through at least though. And, the company estimates full coverage in 3-4 months, so we're not talking years of exposed earth for the weeds.

My question is, how heavily should I weight the weed factor in choosing to go with "Better Kurapia in Plugs" versus "Ok Kurapia in Sod"? Is the weed factor HUGEHUGEHUGE? or just HUGE? I don't really hate pulling weeds as much as some people seem to (yet), and it's only a 700 square foot area. I'm leaning toward the plugs, but thought I should consult with people who have gone through this or similar plug-establishment period.

I suppose option 3 would be to wait until New White is available as sod. I will call to find out the status on that, but what would you do, assuming they tell me "Oh it will take us YEARS to get to that point"?

Comment (1)