SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
southeasthouse

Best wood flooring option for bonus space?

southeasthouse
5 years ago

I am preparing to renovate the converted attic floor of my home, and would appreciate some help on choosing flooring.

The house is an 1860s home, and all the other flooring (aside from tile) is the original hardwood. Which I love. I can be as rough and careless with it as I want, and it all just blends in with the patina of a century of wear.

The attic floor currently has carpet, that is definitely coming out. The contractor suspects there is original wood flooring below, which he could restore. But I would like some sort of sound-muffling underlayment, which means a new floor on top.

Typically, I would just choose reclaimed hardwood, to match the rest of the house. And that is DEFINITELY the style I am going for - this space will not be stylistically different from the whole house. But this space is infrequently used. I usually just go upstairs right before a guest is coming to prepare the space. Sometimes I can go months without going up there. Which means a cat can throw up, and I will discover the mess months later. A guest could have knocked over a glass of water, and I may be none the wiser. Etc etc. While I can be hard on my floors, leaving something for months is pushing it, even for me.

So I wonder - is reclaimed hardwood a good choice for this space? Is there something else I should be considering? I know LVP gets a lot of love on here, but it definitely is not a thing in my historic area. There's no chance it would show up on a main floor in my house. But is it something I should consider for an attic space? Would its touted "waterproof" nature be a better fit for a "messy" area? An easier to clean choice for a space where any and all glitter projects will take place? But how "shiny and new fakeness" does it scream, in a home where everything else is old old old??

I've never really considered the flooring world outside of old hardwood. So any help in opening my eyes is appreciated!

Comments (6)