SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laura_grosmaire

Protecting hardwood floors

Laura Grosmaire
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

We put in white oak floors w/water based finish approximately 18 months ago. Under the stereo system, we placed a ~ 3x5 piece of wool carpet (the underside was not "soft") over a "grid" plastic/rubber like no skid sheet (common type) to protect floor from scratchy stuff on bottom of carpet piece. I inquired about whether the grid would be safe on floor and was assured AOK. I've never had a warm fuzzy about it and yesterday bought the more traditional felt like carpet pads (which also has a rubbery no skid side) to place under. Low and behold, when we pulled stereo cabinet out last night, there were 2 darkish lines on wood along line of weight bearing bottom of cabinet and additionally, a very faint grid pattern on wood where pad was. The grid is not from plastic micro pieces, I tried cleaning up with damp washcloth, it appears to be in finish (?). So, what now? Use the pad we just bought? Is there a, "yes, this really is safe", option out there? We gave the floors some time to cure (~2 weeks) before we did this, do you think this is the problem? Or is it unique to water based finish? Etc. Any words of experience/wisdom appreciated. The floor is so beautiful, hate to see it marred.

dark lines + grid:

closeup of grid (no grid on top/grid on bottom):

This type of "pad":

Comments (5)