SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karenmoranuk

HELP with Matching dryer situation/door hinge dilemma

Karenmo
5 years ago

We'll probably need to replace our old reliable Kenmore electric dryer before we sell our house in the near future with something new that "matches". the washer... to make the house look good for the market in our area where prices are high and buyers expect everything looking pulled together. Our laundry/pantry room is right off the kitchen, so it's high visibility, not buried in a basement workroom where people tolerate some utilitarianism. For many people an appealing laundry/pantry right by the kitchen is a major selling point, so I really can't blow this off....

Our washer is relatively new. It's the front-loading Samsung wf36j4000aw/a2, which has its door hinged on the LEFT. This has been inconvenient in our location since the dryer is on the left and that big old door is in the way when transferring clothes from washer to dryer. But I have coped. I put a towel on the floor, empty the clean, wet clothes from the washer onto the towel, close the doggone door, and carry on with dryer loading.

When our old top-loading washer died, and I shopped for a front loading washer, I found there weren't many options with a door hinged on the right, so had to deal with this reality. Now that I am looking into the dryer thing, I find myself right back in the same door hinge Hell. The "matching" Samsung dryer has the door hinge on the RIGHT. This would make it *really* hard to access the dryer in our house since it's located in a corner with a wall on the left and a cabinet along that wall a bit in front of the dryer. Our current dryer has a drop-down door, so no issue there.

While I found a "creative solution" with the towel thing, I can't come up with a reasonable way to make a right-hinged dryer work in this space. I considered switching the dryer and washer locations, so then the doors would open away from each other as the designers probably intended. But in our house, if the washer would be situated on the left, then the washer drain hose (whose outlet is on the left side of the washer to begin with) would have a REALLY long trip to discharge into the laundry tub, which is asking for trouble. I need some good old Houzzer Help!!

Comments (18)