SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sheilajoyce_gw

We Eloped Fifty-four Years Ago

sheilajoyce_gw
4 years ago

We eloped 54 years ago today. We met our senior year in college when a classmate took our group to the local radio station where he worked to use their equipment to record a semester project radio contest presentation. He he consulted the DJ on the air about selecting background music. That DJ, new in town and on campus, saw me, asked him for my number, and called me on campus that night for a coffee date. I was distracted and did not want to talk to him because the main building on campus was burning down. Fire engines from everywhere were trying to put out the fire in freezing cold weather and the water they used froze quickly. I was graduating in 6 months, and feared all records were being burned too. What would that mean for all of us?

We eloped 2 1/2 years later (my parents were dead, siblings scattered around the world, no money for a wedding, and his grandparents who raised him could not travel to our location). We have had 3 kids, who have provided us with a son and daughter-in-law and 3 wonderful grandsons, the most recent arriving 3 weeks ago. We have lived in the Midwest, East Coast and now in California. We can't believe it has been 54 years. We also can't believe we are those old people in the pictures of us holding our new grandson!

Comments (23)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz