SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joslin99

Need kitchen design input- TIA!

joslin99
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have a small kitchen with and intrusive cinderblock chimney. We want to take down the wall between the kitchen and dining room to expand the kitchen. This is a small starter ($400k) home but in an expensive area, however it is our “forseeable future” home as well. The kitchen/dining area is 50% of the ground floor of the home. As such I would like to try a little harder than the “free design” the wholesale cabinet lady put together. I have been playing in the IKEA planner. So while the measurements are accurate the look is clunky because I am trying to create a more custom look in the planner that is limited to IKEA dimensions.

I am not committed to a cabinet line or GC. Some HVAC will need to be relocated $$ and I would like to enlarge the window in the brick exterior wall $$$, we also need to bring 200amp service into the house (underground) although we already have a panel installed to accept it $$. And then there are the soffits, which are an unknown. I would like them gone but could settle for hiding them.

As you can see just changing the floorplan is adding up, so I will have to decide where to cut corners. Our budget is modest at $30-40k. I am not fancy and would be satisfied with wood counters in an improved layout and we could do soapstone in a few years. Aesthetically we want white shaker and unshiny black countertops. We thought that covering the chimney in brick veneer and making it a feature might be cool. Any hood we place on the chimney will have to be recirculating.

Functionally we are vegetarian so I need massive amounts of prep and chopping space compared to others, but I don’t need a ventilation system. I also use a TON of spices and currently have 2 12” uppers FULL and half a shelf in the pantry. We now have one of those black hole closets-as-pantry 56” x 27” x 8’ that houses recycling, brooms, pantry. So, by volume we are probably going to be LOSING storage space with this remodel.

Hoping to enclose back porch as proper mudroom at some point. Maybe even now if we can make savvy kitchen decisions. There is alot of stress on our poor dining room as it is used as entryhall, mudroom, dining, and only flat work space in entire house.

Rough idea of whole ground floor (800sq.ft.) 8' ceilings in whole house. :(

kitchen · More Info

Existing kitchen, back door to porch is used as our primary entrance/mudzone so the dining room is a closet, entry hall and only flat space in house. Hoping to enclose back porch as proper mudroom at some point. Maybe even now if we can make savvy kitchen decisions:

kitchen · More Info

Dimensions without stuff:

kitchen · More Info

What cabinet lady came up with since I told her I would love an island:

kitchen · More Info

Thinking of using chimney more as feature wall with faux exposed brick, poor little window becomes an orphan as we move sink down to accomodate fridge. Didn't bother with uppers, playing with layout.

kitchen · More Info

How it is into dining room

weird confluence of basement, side door and half bath

Most of dining room is visible from living room, so would love to NOT see dirty dishes.

Comments (8)