SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sydcricket

Finally! My little socal 1930s Spanish kitchen reveal

Astrid C
5 years ago

The time has come I can share my finished kitchen! (Well, almost finished, I've still got to work on window treatments in the nook, a new back door, and a few other odds and ends).

I can't believe it was over a year when I posted my "before" and what a year it was! Thank you all for your advice and suggestions. It wouldn't have turned out nearly as well without you. I love it so much!

Before:

Link to my original post: [https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-little-socal-spanish-kitchen-remodel-before-dsvw-vd~5127994[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/my-little-socal-spanish-kitchen-remodel-before-dsvw-vd~5127994)

After:

The floorplan remained the same for the most part, with just the stove being moved over a few inches so it could have base cabinets on both sides (essential!). My main priorities were getting a counter-depth fridge rather than the existing behemoth, a range hood, functioning counter-space (do you see how low the original cabinets go?), and a new dishwasher (as you can see the existing one is broken. Though I did find a really cool mummified mouse under it). I really wanted to keep with the feel of my 1930's house and the original cabinets in the mudroom.

Cabinets: Omega inset cabinets in "Beach House" for upper and "Sage" stained lowers - alder wood

Cabinet hardware: Knobs - "Newport" by Emtek, Pulls - "Sydney Thin" by Top Knobs in polished nickel

Floors: Cement Tiles in custom design (picture I had of a Moroccan tile, but with my own colorway) by Villa Lagoon Tile

Countertops: Corian in "Bisque"

Backsplash: Interceramic 4.25" x 4.25" field tile (great price but many pieces were warped) and border/pencil liner by Quemere Designs ($$$ but gorgeous and matches the floor)

Fridge: a 2015 model Kitchen Aid (craigslist score!)

Dishwasher: 18" Bosch, the one with the hidden controls

Range Hood: 36" Z line (from Amazon)

Range: GE Cafe Series 30" (got a great scratch + dent deal!)

Light fixtures in nook and mudroom: Vintage via eBay

Blue sink: Saved from previous kitchen :)

Faucet: Kohler "Sous" in chrome

Garbage Disposal: InSinkErator Evolution Compact

Wall Paint: Sherwin Williams "Swiss Coffee"

What I love:

My floors! - The cement tiles turned out just like I imagined. Minh @ Villa Lagoon tile was patient and helpful through setting up the custom order and sending me pictures and samples until I was confident that it was exactly right. The colors turned out just like the sample chips they had sent, with subtle, handmade variation. They're soft on my feet and bring that vintage feel of southern Europe and the Caribbean where I first discovered them. Price was very reasonable too, especially compared to similar encaustic tiles I'd seen in high-end tile shops.

Countertops: I had been DYING for perla venata quartzite and spent a lot of time at slab yards looking for the right one before I realized the fabrication put me way out of budget and I wasn't sure if it would be "too much" in my little kitchen. I think Corian ended up being a better fit style-wise and I just love its softness, durability, and clean satiny look. Pretty much everyone I talked to tried to talk me out of it, saying it was really outdated, but I disagree. I'm pretty brutal on my countertops too - so probably would have done something terrible to Quartzite anyway sooner or later.

Pull-down faucet: Okay so it's probably a bit of an anachronism style-wise but its soooo easy and functional for spraying and cleaning both the dishes and the sink itself.

Inset cabinets and drawers: Really essential to that "period" look and to match my mudroom cabinets. The doors don't soft-close, so they click/clack significantly, which wouldn't work for everyone, but it doesn't matter to me. And the smooth, slidey, deep drawers - yum.

Two tone!: Glad I went with two-tone cabinets, all white would have been much too cold and stark The medium-tone wood warms everything up. I also like how I went white with the fridge and stainless everywhere else. It was not intentional, I just bought what was available and I'm glad it worked out! I think a huge stainless fridge would have been imposing on the small space. Also, strangely, the mixed finishes on the knobs (polished nickel), faucet (chrome - closet available), and brushed stainless hinges (only silver color available) totally work together. I think they are far enough apart from each other they just all look chrome.

Okay, most everything I love: the pull-out trash (thought I'd die with out a step-open mechanism but I don't miss it), my side-of-fridge pantry (amazed how the kitchen still looks smaller. Probably from opting for the counter depth fridge - which is still plenty roomy for us, though the freezer capacity might be an issue for others), 18" dishwasher (excellent choice for our needs and freed up room for the pull-out trash. the Bosch is quiet and I love the utensil drawer as opposed to basket), even the toaster oven and microwave (bought second-hand to hold us over during the reno but liked 'em so much I'm keeping them). Oh also glad I added a garbage disposal too. How did I live without it before?

Things I learned:

Alder is too soft of a wood for the cabinets. I had heard mixed things about it and didn't like stained maple (too blotchy) but I've dinged it a few times already and will need to touch up. If I could do it again I'd sell an organ and upgrade to stained walnut. I'm not too bummed though. After all, I was drooling over these "old world" Shiloh finishes https://www.shilohcabinetry.com/weathered.html sooooo let's just say soon it will have a "vintage" look.

Cement tile really is fussy to install: I micromanaged the install pretty well, since I knew it was notorious for being a tough install in places where contractors don't have experience with the material. But I wasn't able to avoid some hazing, not from the grout, but the mortar. Luckily it's on only a few edges, and not that noticeable.

Well that's about it! Since I just realized in the photos that I still had my Chinese New Year decorations up from a party: Happy Year of the Pig everyone!

Comments (32)