SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anebt_anebturia

NEWB: Heat strip and air handler confusion--Help!

Maritza Combes
5 years ago

I had a Ruud air handler with a built-in heat strip. The handler operated on a single circuit, with a 60 amp breaker. Now I have a DiamondAir with a separate, installed heat strip. I assume I need two separate circuits. A guys is coming but I don't want to get ripped off.

1. From the handler plate info I guess that the handler will need a 15 amp circuit breaker (max fuse)?

What gauge wire? The disconnect box is a few feet away.

2. The heater will need a 30 amp circuit breaker (?). What size gauge?

3. Regarding the huge wire coming from the power supply: Can I use it to connect the heat strip?

Or, do the wires from the new air handler need to be the same size? In other words, can I run a new circuit and keep the huge source wires for the heater connection?

4. The heater does not seem to support the handler model. However, the connector to the power board does fit? The model number is not on the heater sticker. Is that okay?

Basically I need info on wire gauges for both circuits, breaker sizes, correct info on heater/handler match, and whether a bigger gauge wire that used to be connected to the Ruud can be used for on the of the circuits. Please let me know if I'm wrong. Sorry about the upside down pics.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!