common milkweed newbie

gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago(5)

I planted common milkweed last spring. It grew well but never flowered. Will it come back this year?

SaveComment13Like
Comments (13)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Will the sun rise tomorrow? Truely we don't know.

Save     Thanked by gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Probably, just keep an eye out near where it was planted. It IS a perennial (grows back from roots every year) if that's what you are wondering.

What I meant was, does it only come back from seed, since mine didn't make seed.

Save    
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

No, as skip said, it's a perennial.

However, from my own experience, it either loves your site or hates it, so who knows if it will return or not.

WildXplorer(5b)

It's a very easy plant to grow. I would suggest that, at the end of the summer, you pick up some seeds and sow them around to have more next year.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Gracie, I have tons of syriaca and some other species. I'd be happy to share if you need anything! Close here in Joliet.

Jay

1 Like Save     Thanked by gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

From what I hear (but can't validate myself), it spreads relatively rapidly underground (if it survives), btw mine popped up a couple days ago.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It has spread extensively underground for me. That's why there is so much extra to give away. Mine hasn't emerged yet, but the swamp milkweed is already showing.

If you need plants I could bring you some, and we can meet at the native plant sale on Laraway rd. May 18th! There is a good chance your plants will return and which case forget everything I said lol.

Oh my, I just went up to move the milkweed. EEEEKKK, I've created a monster. Roots 5 feet long! Do I really want this in my yard? Is there any way to control it?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You can dig it out of the spots where you don't want it. It started spreading in my yard for a few years during which time I never saw any Monarch caterpillars. Last year I was swamped with Monarch Caterpillars and they ate all my milkweeds down to sticks. I had to drive out to Woolhuos in Manteno and buy 8 more milkweeds. I have another garden where they have gotten too numerous. I'm going to thin them out over there, but still keep some. There are other native milkweeds that don't spread like that! Syriacas are used by more eastern Monarchs than any other milkweed. They've evolved great powers of regeneration to combat constant predation. I think they are worth growing even though they are a bit agressive.

Save    

Thanks Jay; I should have said "runners" instead of "roots". I also have a swamp milkweed.

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You must have done a good job growing them. I have a colony of syriaca in a full sun situation, and it spreads like crazy, but some of my vollenteers are in part shade or deeper, and those milkweed stay behaved. One (plant) that has gotten part sun for several years now still has only 2 main stalks with a smaller stalk that continuously grows back after being eaten. Remarkable regeneration. The other plus you get from having them in part sun is the leaves stay fresher and greener much longer than the common milkweeds that have been in full sun all summer. The Monarch caterpillars prefer to eat the tender new growth of the milkweeds. The fuzzy tussock caterpillars that feed on common milkweeds prefer the older, tougher leaves. After several years of decline the eastern Monarch butterfly population rose last year. A lot of us worked to make that happen.

These 2 Asclepias syriacas have been here several years, but still only have 2 stalks because they are in part shade. One drawback, the part shade setting prohibits them from ever flowering and setting seeds. There are some milkweeds that prefer a little shade like variegata and exaltata. I just can't wait for the native plant sale!

Save    

Update: I now have 6 plants sprouting where I thought I had dug it out, LOL!

1 Like Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Flowers and Plants Help Monarchs and Other Butterflies by Planting Common Milkweed
Summer-blooming Asclepias syriaca is an important larval host plant for the monarch butterfly and attracts a number of pollinating insects
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Butterfly Milkweed, a Beacon in the Prairie
Vivacious orange flowers for you, nectar for the butterflies and bees. Asclepias tuberosa is worth planting for more reasons than one
Full Story
Gardening Guides Great Design Plant: Milkweed
Quit cringing. This not-weed plant is a sight to behold in the garden, has a delicious vanilla scent and is a magnet for butterflies
Full Story