SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
david_perfette

Some tips for spraying lacquer

David Perfette
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm building a large kitchen island. The cabinet has a beaded face frame that I will be coloring with an oil based glaze and finishing with Sherwin Williams' pre-catalyzed lacquer. Other than some experimenting a few years back, I have little experience spraying lacquer. I have an expensive Asturo spray gun that I bought a bunch of years ago so I figure it's about time I build the skill. I've been reading and watching videos which have provided most of the how-to info I need but there's still a few specifics not covered that I was hoping to get some tips on.

I'm going to color and spray the door panels before assembling them due to wood expansion and shrinkage, but I'm also wondering if it would make sense to do that with all the parts instead of assembling the whole thing and then spraying it. For example, I would think it would be easier to spray the maple plywood before assembling the cabinet box. Is there anything I'm missing here? Is there any benefit to constructing the whole thing and then spraying?

What about the beaded face frame? Any tips on spraying it that would avoid the lacquer pooling in the channels of the beading? In the main video, I use for reference, the guy appears to put a fairly heavy coat on the flat, large surface door he's finishing, but I'm thinking of trying a more fine, atomized, spray technique, and using more coats to build up the final finish.

Lastly, how hard should the finish feel before it has cured? To put my mind at ease while I'm doing it I'd like to have an idea of what it should feel like between coats so I know whether or not I'm doing it right.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (14)