SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
will_mckendree

Cleaning Post-Construction hardwood before screen and recoat?

Will M.
5 years ago

Hello all, I have a townhome that we are installing new oak hardwood on the upper floor. During a long renovation process, the lower floor hardwood is going to need a screen/buff and recoat. I need to clean the floors (incredibly filthy from construction dust).

I am shop-vacuuming the floors throughout, but it seems there are a lot of places people have walked through the dust with wet shoes. So several of the spots need a good scrub.

My flooring guy is going to screen and re-coat the floor on Tuesday (it's currently Saturday night). He told me not to use water-based cleaners because it might affect how the water-based polyurethane goes down. He told me to use mineral spirits instead.

Now, with how filthy the floors are, I have scrubbed with mineral spirits for a good 3 hours on my hands and knees - not really getting that far in the total square footage. I plan to spend the day tomorrow working on this, but I'm wondering - If I'm careful not to leave water sitting on the floor, could I use a water-based product so I can properly mop the floor? It would have almost 48 hours to dry before the screen/recoat, and the floor was refinished about a year ago - it just got gouged and mistreated by my first contractor.

Any advice that would save my back would be much appreciated.

OR if there are any speed tips to help with this process - I purchased 100 Terry cloth towels since you can't rinse and reuse these in a day...

I'm including a photo of the kitchen so you can see one of the rougher areas - even after vacuuming, it was not much better than in this photo. Many thanks for your advice!!

Comments (6)