SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammy_fiorillo

New development, small yard, fence or trees for privacy around patio ?

Tammy F
5 years ago

Looking for ideas to create privacy around the patio area. Have lived here 2 years and houses are now going in behind us and they are very close. We added the small flower bed and the gravel area with stepping stones last year, before any houses were there. We have some restrictions with the association so we can not plant or put fencing in the side swails and no trees within 5 feet of the property line. Since the backyard is so small we were thinking of just fencing or planting trees along the patio and gravel area only, to create a private courtyard area with no grass in it. My vision is to add a birdbath, the chiminea, more shrubs, stepping stones, make it feel like my own little oasis in the middle of suburbia.

Option 1 is an L shaped fence, straight across the back and turning in by the AC unit and hatch door. We can only have white vinyl fencing so it would be a 6 ft privacy style. Inside the fenced in area we would extend the mulch and add small plants/shrubs along the fence line, keep some of the gravel and the stepping stone path leading out in front of the AC unit.

Option 2 is 10 trees spaced 4 feet apart, either blue point juniper or emerald green arborvitae, following the current shape, so a softer line than the fence. We would extend the mulch area to the new trees and stagger some small shrubs between the new trees and the old plantings.

Option 3 is a combo of fence and trees - maybe a straight line of fence in the back and trees on the sides ?

We are struggling with what to choose. The fence is immediate privacy but only 6 feet worth of it. The trees are a softer option and nicer to look at it but will take time to fill in. The builder will continue the large evergreen treeline you see in the yard of the house behind us.

First picture is standing in my house at the slider. Second is looking to the left, we put our grill on the gravel between the patio and the door. Third picture is looking across the yard from the left side near the AC unit, we have the house that blocks our view on the right of the patio.

What would look better, function better, make the most sense ? We are open to ideas.

Comments (9)