SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melle_sacto_gw

Fencing in a portion of the front corner side yard for privacy

Hello all! We've been in our new house about 18 months now and I am anxious to get going on some of the front yard updating. The front and backyards were professionally landscaped, maybe 20-ish years ago; so far I have spoken with two landscape designers about possible changes to the front yard to add privacy and reduce water use. In my opinion the landscape is relatively generic for our neighborhood and our house just kind of fades away behind it.

The specific change I'm debating is one we had started considering even before buying the house: re-capture a portion of the front yard (to the right of the driveway in my photo below) by fencing a portion of the yard and creating private space in this side of the corner front. Our garage and driveway are on this side, and there's an exterior side door as well (not visible from photo). Personally we use this side door the most, but prefer to direct our visitors through the front door and de-emphasize the egress on this side of the house as much as possible. Right now this side is, from my perspective, completely wasted. We do not use this yard space at all, it's just a second front yard to maintain. This side faces west so the trees need to stay.

My struggle is with imagining what it would be like to fence this portion of the yard and whether or not the cost would be worth the small amount of additional privacy we would achieve. I tried to visualize a fence with 4 or 5 foot set-back from the sidewalk, but I can't even decide what style or height or anything. I'd like to grow some 8' tall evergreen shrubs that could be limbed up like little trees, and then some type of lower groundcover or mixed border or something. I wouldn't want it to appear unfriendly or fortress-like, but I also would want to create a real feeling of privacy for anyone inside. I tried to mock it up, but I don't really care for how this looks. I'm not sure if it's because this is not a good proposed change or just my limited mock-up skills. For reference, brown is fence and the gray strip is the width of the new driveway (if we installed the fence, I would want additional paved area for door swing and for walking).

The designers thought a fence was a great idea, but I don't know if they just were agreeing with me or what. I've tried to search online for corner lot fence solutions, but nothing seems to have a layout like our yard, with the driveway and side door on a different street from the front door, and with the front not able to connect to the backyard. Our backyard is small, and I think a second private area might be really nice. But it's not a backyard, and it's not a courtyard to the front door. It's just...strange.

If this were your yard, and you wanted more privacy due to the corner location, how would you handle this space? Would the fence make more sense if we also fenced the tiny strip of yard on the other side of our driveway as well (not pictured).

Comments (15)