SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
payork

LP SmartSide siding to replace cedar

payork
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I’m In Minnesota and going to replace the siding on the front of my house. Parts of it on the right side window has some water damage (it’s about 25 years old) The other three sides of the house have 12” clap boards.

The front siding is probably cedar about 5/8” thick and 7” tall (reveal is 6”). It’s surface nailed. You can also see the builder ran single pieces of trim vertically too. The longest vertical piece is about 20’ tall. I plan to replace that trim with composite wood. I will trim the windows separately and then run the vertical trim above and below again if that makes sense. Trying to keep the same look but also do not want to remove a 20’ piece of trim when it’s time to replace windows.

Do you think it’s ok to replace this front siding with LP engineered wood? One difference is that the LP is 3/8” thick which is why I’d need to replace it all and not just fix the damaged areas. I used this LP siding last year to fix an area around a bay window In the front of my house (I “blind nailed” with 2 1/2” exterior screws instead of nails).

Comment

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH