SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

OT: Basal cell carcinoma removal

Lars
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Yesterday morning I went to my dermatologist to have basal cells removed (I described this in my Montezuma's revenge thread), and afterwards I was in quite a bit of pain, and so I took some of the pain medication that I had on hand, including Vicodin that I brought back from Mexico. I only took two of those yesterday, plus one early this morning, but I've been feeling very wobbly and tired all day today, and I wondered whether this is normal. The doctor had to remove at least four layers of cells before he got everything, and then there were a lot of stitches to sew up the wound. In the beginning, it was only a tiny dot, and he removed only a few cells about a month ago for testing and then told me that they were cancerous and that I needed to have them removed. At first he thought it would be a minor operation, but it turned out to be much more than that. I am no longer in pain, except when I move or activate muscles in that region, but I still feel drained and have a bit of trouble walking without wobbling. I have not taken any more pain medication since early this morning, but I did have trouble sleeping last night because of the pain, which fortunately is mostly gone by now. I think it is the stitches that are bothering me the most right now.

Is it normal to feel this way the day after basal cell removal? I do have some pain in my chest, but not enough for me to be concerned about that, but I do feel extremely tired and have been resting most of the day. I also have to limit movement that affects the area where I have stitches, to avoid pain there.

This is the first time I've had basal cells removed, and so I did not know what to expect. I was glad that I had a Lyft driver take me to the clinic and back, as I was not really in a condition to drive after the surgery, even though the clinic told me that I could. I would not have been able to wear a shoulder harness with my seat belt because of where the stitches are.

I will return to the dermatologist office in two weeks for stitch removal and then six months later for another check to make sure that I do not have more basal cells.

What are your experiences with this, if any? I wasn't going to start a thread about this, but I'm having a few concerns now. I know it has nothing to do with cooking, but I do value the opinions and advice of people here.

Comments (33)