SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
audtomaton

Exterior design help! I live in a sad blue box.

Audrey Hughes
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I am desperately in need of so exterior design expertise. I have a contractor set to begin work next week, and I don't know the best option is to improve the look of my house.

TLDR--I need help with fiber cement siding ideas and a portico over the porch.

Here is some history... This is a duplex that was built in the 1950s. It used to be covered in a 14" cedar shingles which gave it more personality. The previous owner did not want to maintain them, and replaced the southern and western sides with the inexpensive vinyl siding you see here. Since the house looks terrible with grossly mismatched sides, I am replacing it. I am also replacing the exterior door with one that (I think) looks a little more correct for the time period, similar to this.

I originally had planned to replace it with a vinyl siding that looked similar to cedar shingle. However, I am worried that 1) vinyl isn't a green choice and 2) it might not hold up or age well, so I am instead going with fiber cement.

I need advice on siding exposures and styles, e.g., how I might (or might not) mix things up a bit to create visual interest. I also need help on the design of a simple porch covering. The slab porch extends just past the mailboxes. Since my house is on a small hill, it is hard to see the roof from the street, but the style of the roof is a hip roof.

I like the neighborhood I live in, so am interested in investing some money to improving to look of my home. Most of the homes in my neighborhood where built between 1920 and 1940. There are a lot of wood frame houses. Some the nicer homes are Craftsman style, but it is a pretty eclectic mix. My personal taste is more mid-century or modern--but I'm not sure how to get there from where I'm at :)

I am totally open to any and all suggestions, if anyone would be so kind as to advise. Thanks in advance!

Comments (71)