Transforming my yard wth natives.
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (396)
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
Related Discussions
add some pizzazz to complete this transformation?
Comments (31)>Whoa! Reyesuela, those pro-English ivy comments are treading on some dangerous ground. I and others made such comments once and then we found ourselves on trial at the Hague. Yeah, I did it years ago and got jumped on by practically everyone. I don't care. :-) I'm an English ivy REBEL! You should have see what happened when I was a new gardener and said I really disliked the gardens of most "gardener's gardeners," which are so often focused on the delights of individual plants that they often have a deaf ear to the entire composition that's presented. I probably said it differently nearly 10 years ago, but boy, forget the Hague, people were looking for a rope and a handy branch.... >It depends on how you define "damage." If pulled off of a surface, Boston Ivy leaves it's "feet" behind which can look unsightly. It may or may not matter, depending on what and where the surface is. You can power wash it off, though! Right? So it's not really damage if you can remove it.... I suddenly realized that helleborus may not work in Dallas. You'll have to check. Vinca minor does great....See MoreCome see my now-finished yard!
Comments (24)I can't tell you how satisfying this has been. The weather has been so gorgeous (when there's no wind) I can hardly bear to leave my yard. My grass is growing--so excited! Yesterday, I watched a big black hummingbird hit all my flowering plants, one by one. And my neighbors keep coming over to see what I did and ooohing and aahhing over it. I'm now trying to decide how much more planting I want and what kind. I'm sure the seasons progress I will notice a need or two to be filled. I'm trying not to be a "collector" and repeat plants, but . . . there are some more different ones I want! And I kind of like it spare and serene . . . but then I think I want more "lush," lol! Dilemmas . . . I bought new plants, too, and will probably buy a few more this weekend at the University of Texas--El Paso's Chihuahuan Garden's annual native plant sale....See MoreMy neighbors just did the 'drought-resistant' yard thing
Comments (66)I definitely wouldn't want to capture *ALL* the rainwater falling on the property, as I understand about the need for replenishing not only our groundwater tables but also for the immediate watering of my big, mature trees. I'm just thinking that with a 10,000 sq ft property, there's a lot of space to put a few additional barrels. I have this big, basically unused area behind my garage where X number of barrels could sit and do their thing without being an eyesore for me or the neighbors. BTW, and this is purely a guess, but I think about 2/3 of the property is earth vs some man-made material. Also, my patio and the walkway from it to the driveway slope at, I believe, 9 degrees toward the driveway. The driveway slopes down to the street naturally, following the slope of the property. I could theoretically reroute the runoff from the patio somehow to save it, although it doesn't really get much water of its own during a rain, because it's covered and its cover is also fully guttered....See MoreNative plants for very dry,very deep shade.
Comments (18)I don't get bent out of shape concerning what people plant in residential gardens & I don't crusade the idea of going native to anyone who will listen. I figure if I make my own yard look good with natives, thats the best way to sell the idea but I'm not out to change the world. If someone asks, I'll answer. I'm not an average homeowner. I like the prairie and we removed the lawn and went that direction but then I keep in mind the perspective that I like gardening more than most who live around here. I'm not a sports fan which also places me in another minority, I'd rather be outside gardening during the game or when the Thunder plays. The toothpaste is out of the tube concerning our problem invasive species such as honeysuckle, Bradford Pear & privet. The popularity of the non-invasive plants you mentioned such as day lily, roses and hosta and several other popular landscape plants we could list is not the problem when you consider the amount of land covered in concrete and high maintenance lawns. I consider lawns to be a much more serious concern than whether people prefer native as opposed to conventional garden plants. Water waste is one of my biggest bug-a-boo's with sprinkler systems becoming very common, widespread chemical use on lawns that runs down the street into streams and air pollution. I find myself doing the math of what I see going on here and know is going on elsewhere. There are strict restrictions on ranchers and farmers, officials regularly check to see if they are in compliance while homeowners are free to spray their lawns with abandon. This makes no sense. I don't like seeing the city expand and watching builders scrape off the native prairie and then replace it with bermuda lawn grass and formal landscaping along with regular mowing, spraying and sprinkler systems. Fire suppression is a bigger cause of problems than introduced plants where I live. Eastern Red Cedar is out of control and is taking over thousands of acres of prairie at alarming rates inevitably creating deciduous forests of both native and non-native woody plants. In my opinion, it makes no difference whether they are native trees & underbrush or not at this point. Why should it? That land cannot be restored back to prairie, habitat is lost forever and it seems there is no stopping this aggressive transformation, no end in sight. When its dry, these infested places turn into infernos that explode. After the fire is finally out, the trees are what come back, not the grasses. Its a problem of balance and funds. Fracking is a major concern. We have earthquakes here all the time now, I heard we have more than California or anywhere else in the world right now. I also worry about the fact that we are depleting the aquifer faster than it can replenish itself with large scale farm irrigation. We have a vote coming up concerning something called 'Right to Farm'. Its about halting regulations on farming practices. I'm not sure what its all about since I haven't had time to look into it but it sounds ominous. Has anyone heard of this?...See More- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years agoJay 6a Chicago thanked Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

LANDSCAPE DESIGNYard of the Week: Native and Low-Water Plants in Colorado
A bleak backyard is transformed into a colorful meadow-like space with a fire pit, a dining patio and an edible garden
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSSee 6 Yards Transformed by Losing Their Lawns
Wondering whether a turf lawn is the best use of your outdoor space? These homeowners did, and they found creative alternatives
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNSee 3 Gardens Beautifully Transformed by Native Plants
Wildflowers, native perennials and grasses dazzle in gardens that celebrate their diverse ecosystems
Full Story
INSPIRING GARDENSNative Plants Bring 10 Southern California Front-Yard Gardens to Life
Rare plants, rain gardens and wildlife habitats are just a few of the features showcased on the 2016 Theodore Payne Native Plant Garden Tour
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNPatio of the Week: A Contemporary Yard Highlights Native Plants
Simple paving and soft foliage meet in this sophisticated outdoor living space in Los Angeles
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNBefore and After: 4 Yards Transformed by Decks and Patios
Looking to invest in your backyard? Boost usability and your garden’s overall look with a stylish deck or patio
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNHillside Yard Offers Scenic Views and Space for Contemplation
A landscape designer transforms an uninspiring yard in the Bay Area into a garden that celebrates California living
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNYard of the Week: Inviting Space for Family, Friends and Wildlife
A landscape architect turns a Massachusetts yard into a contemporary outdoor retreat with native plants and gabion walls
Full Story
BEFORE AND AFTERSPatio of the Week: Stylish Urban Yard Rises From a Parking Spot
See how a designer transformed a London backyard area with fake lawn into a contemporary outdoor retreat
Full Story
LANDSCAPE DESIGNYard of the Week: Orchard and Plantings Bring a Garden to Life
A designer transforms a once-barren L.A. backyard with espaliered fruit trees, herbs and pollinator-friendly flowers
Full StorySponsored
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida
More Discussions
























































Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)