Transforming my yard wth natives.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have a lot of winter sown seeds about to germinate, and some other plants ordered too. A few of us are adding a lot of new, native plants. This thread is to share ideas and communicate, while this whole process of preparing and planting is going on. This is more for communication now, no reason to be entertaining. Anyone who wants to sound off has the floor....for a time. There's a million things to do. Let's get started.

SaveComment396Like
Comments (396)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Aralia racemosa.

Aralia racemosa.

Trillium erectum.

Trillium nivale.

Sanguinaria canadensis.

Dicentra cucullata.

Mertensia virginica.

Mertensia virginica.

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I do! Still don’t understand what the issue is. At what temperature are you starting to harden of your indoor seedlings to go outside?

Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

When the temperature at night doesn't dip below 50 degrees. Those plants are all tropicals.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Should I treat my Man of the Earth like that? It’s already showing little roots coming out of the bottom of the peat pot. This is one I really don’t want to mess up.

1 Like Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
dbarron(z7_Arkansas)

Jay, damn it, I want to be amused :) But good luck with your incipient nursery.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Oh yeah Iris, I most definately would treat that the same. The same as a tropical morning glory. I hope you get seeds to send me lol. I hope I get good germination with the Asclepias humiatrata. I had do a lot of wheeling and dealing for those seeds lol. The highest bidder thing. I was the highest bidder lol!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

These are still on my wish list from Mountain Gardens and then I'm done ordering plants.

Apios priceana.

Panax quinquefolia. ginseng

Aletris farinosa.

Collinsonia canadensis. stoneroot.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Ughh, last fall I tried planting my bladdernuts on mounds in a low part of the yard, but some of the soil eroded away and freeze/thaw lifted them all exposing some roots. I hope they are alive.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Asclepias viridiflora.

Asclepias viridiflora.

Asclepias stenophylla.

Asclepias stenophylla.

Asclepias hirtella.

Asclepias hirtella.

Asclepias ovalifolia.

Asclepias ovalifolia.

Asclepias exaltata.

Asclepias exaltata.

Asclepias incarnata var. pulchra.

Asclepias incarnata var. pulchra.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Oh no, Skip! How many did you plant? I hope they will be fine. Seems they are pretty tough. Mine are still alive after all the abuse they have been taken by the deer.

Jay, still no sign of any of my milkweed. Hope the Monarchs are taking their time, too.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I planted 5 of the bladdernuts, they were all pretty small, 1 gallon. I'll fix them another day.

I did get outside and move my 2 Clethra to the back yard and plant the 4 big bluestem 'red october' that were in my shed from last year. Those were 2 or 3 gallon and the clethras were similar in size. I hate planting large plants! So much digging and soil disturbance. The Clethra were deceptive little plants, they are only around 3ft tall but they were already sending out offsets, so actually I ended planting the 2 main ones and 2 separate new ones in the backyard. I saw my Viburnum is expanding laterally too. The top soil by the road is clodden sticky clay and the soil in the back is beautiful black crumbly stuff. There will be a Clethra forest back there in a few years with soil like that.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I cut some branches out of the juneberry to thin it out, and I pulled out some landscape fabric. I took more pictures but they won't load either. The fabric probably has kept out a lot of weeds over the years but the creeping charley seems to like growing on top of it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

1 Like Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Was that bear pic added just to hit the picture limit as fast as possible?

I have to confess, I didnt water when I moved and planted the last couple times. The soil is already moist to wet and it will rain on sunday, you think it will make difference? My hose isnt even connected yet.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It was on the news some redneck and his 18 year old son shot a mother bear and her 2 cubs. They filmed it and posted them high fiving that's why I put the bear pictures on.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s so sad, Jay.

I have no idea about the watering in. I always do, especially with trees and shrubs. I am afraid I have some big air pockets or something that will cause them to sink too deep eventually.

Going to look up all of Jay’s pretty flowers. Blueberry bees were still hard at work today. They are so cute!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That is tragic Jay

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just dug out some of the stella daylilies. They are everywhere around here. Businesses, yards,streets.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have some of those. They seemed to be one of the popular free gift with orders about 15 years ago.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I finished the mulch around the mailbox. Started weeding on the next bed to put down mulch. Ripped out a wheelbarrow full of cleaver. The stuff was sticking to everything.

2 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Those cleavers can grow really fast. The last blue eyed grass, the rosulatum is only native to South Carolina. That one is my favorite I think. I still need more time on the weed ID's.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

You know I don’t expect you to ID my weeds, right? I checked on the one that still remains unidentified from the Name that plant. It has grown a bit, but not by much. It’s still the only one of it’s kind as far as I have seen. If the cleaver wouldn’t have this weird, hairy texture I could have munched on it while pulling since I missed lunch. Supposed to be healthy.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't remember what plant from ntp you're talking about. I don't get too many cleavers but the few I do get are bad. I think I'll start eating more lamb's quarters this year. There's lots of them around here. I don't feel like I have to ID your weeds. I enjoy getting the experience without the others trying to beat me to it, but the ranunculus was on there a long time and nobody else ID'd it.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It was back in the middle of February. Maybe it will do something in Summer to make it easier. It’s still small and not in the way, so I will leave it there for now. I am just posting the pictures here because I am honestly baffled by the variety of stuff I am seeing this year. Be happy to dig out something and put it with a ruler if there is one you think is interesting though. The one you said is chickweed looking is actually kind of cute.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I thought the chickweed one would be easy, but I'm baffled. A ruler would help with that one. I haven't looked at the plantain looking thing yet.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Will get to it tomorrow! Who knows, maybe the blue eyed grass is going to show up eventually, too.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sounds good. No rush.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I had a little helper today! Well, more likely getting the stuffing.

Here is a picture of the plant. I don’t want to annoy anybody here by turning this into Name that Plant. Especially since most of them are probably not even native.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I give up on that one. Send it to name that plant. If you do, show pictures before you pulled it out. 5 petals? Tubular, I have no clue!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

This is the nursery that I ordered the Trillium nivale from. They sell tree seedlings. I'm thinking of ordering spicebush seedlings.

https://www.nativewildflowers.net/

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

You still have room for some more? Did you cut things down? Did you order from them before? I just took a quick peek. Vinca minor is native? I didn’t think it is. It’s a big pain in my behind. Going to look this plant up again.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

No, not native.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I pulled a couple pieces of vinca minor out that rooted in the shade. I have the green and the variegated. There aren't any fences around here so the yards all flow into each other. I want to use the spicebushes and Aralias as screens. They will also be the background for lots of other plant species.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yeah, I'm gunna burn through this one as fast as I can!!!

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't think I would have gotten that ID Iris. Well, now you have a new salad green.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Great pictures for inspiration! I think I found some woodland phlox today. How is that for a nice change? As for the ID, I could just stay outside and not starve with all the weeds that turned out being edible.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My Tweedia caerulea is growing fast. The leaves look like the picture.

Asclepias hallii

Gomphocarpus physocarpus

Calotropis procera

Asclepias perennis

Asclepias incarnata var. 'Ice Ballet'

Asclepias curassavica var. 'Silky Gold'.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Any leads on the quest for the milkweeds you were still looking for? I actually bought one of the ‘Silky gold’ last year at Lowe’s of all places.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

No, I don't have any time to spend searching for plants. I have left my email to be notified by a couple nurseries if they have it back in stock. I know another guy here looking for the same 2 species and we will notify each other of any leads. I was promised seeds for those amplexicaulis and quadrifolia from somebody who had plants but they never came through, so I'll get them when I get them, there are plenty of other cool milkweeds to keep me busy, not to mention other plants in general. I've found a lot of things after looking a long time and you having these cudweeds is great because I really wanted seeds for those. So now the only things that I want that I don't have are the rare milkweeds and Plantago patagonica. And also the Gomphocarpus cancellatus because my seeds didn't grow lol. It's awesome that I found the Hieracium venosum.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Nice idea for screening Jay. Did you get the A. perennis?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have a bunch of A. perennis winter sown and a lot of seeds left over. I want to grow one in a pot.

The few plants I couldn't find. There are too many species that are rare and hard to find. It shouldn't be like that. I just did all the native,eastern Sisyrinchiums and a couple of those were very rare to the point that there were not even photographs.

Asclepias quadrifolia

Asclepias amplexicaulis

Plantago patagonica

Hieracium venosum, I did find this plant eventually.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Smilax hispida, background vine.

Aralia spinosa, background.

Prunus virginiana, background.

Aralia racemosa, background.

Lindera benzoin, spicebush, background.

Lindera benzoin, spicebush.

Ribes americanum.

Ribes missouriense.

Elymus hystrix, bottlebrush grass.

Chasmanthium latifolium, river oats.

Solidago flexicaulis, zigzag goldenrod.

Hydrophyllum virginianum, Virginia water leaf.

Aristolochia serpentaria.

Panax quinquefolius.

Myrrhis odorata, Sweet Cicely.

Cunila origanoides, American dittany.

Hedeoma pulegioides, American pennyroyal.

Collinsonia canadense, stone root.

If the soil feels wet and if you roll it up in a ball, and it stays in a ball, it's too wet to plant.

Asarum canadense

https://youtu.be/ghT841bgixY

Green Comma

Coral Hairstreak

Red Spotted Purple

Grey Comma

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, did you try tasting that corn salad weed? That weed generated a lot of talk. It's edible and it's in the honeysuckle family. Very weird! I thought your weed looked hairier than the species so I looked up the other Valerianella species but locusta still looked the closest.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I haven’t, but will when I go outside later on. Got to wonder how all this stuff is showing up in my yard.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You said it wasn't salad worthy. I assumed you had tasted it. Or you don't like eating your weeds. The garlic mustard thinks its coming back, ha ha, think again!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Clinopodium arkansanum, available at Missouri Wildflowers. Calamint. A worthy substitute for the rare Conradinia verticillata.

Clinopodium arkansanum, Lamiaceae, Lamiales, low calamint.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/low_calamint.html

https://youtu.be/YwmZOdJ3ijc

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Careful with garlic mustard, it has low levels of toxins that wont bother you as a garnish but if you eat a bowl of it everyday it could make you sick.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, thanks for the warning. I don't ever eat it. I'll just use regular garlic chives. I should start growing ramps. It's too cold here today to get much done outside. It's unbelievable how deep some of this landscape fabric is burried. I will be hauling rocks to the landfill down the street on and off. The previous owner made it hard for weeds to grow, but he also made it very hard to grow anything else. The west facing side has tons of fabric and lava rocks. I can plant a lot of species in there if I limb up the upright yews, remove the rocks and landscape fabric, and ammend the soil. Lucky you's in the 70's. It's cold here!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I said that because the leaves on my plants are so small. Wouldn’t fill up a bowl. Sorry about the rocks and fabric. It’s 74 degrees here. Tomorrow night it might freeze again.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I guess that's why floral said that you harvest the whole plant. I read it has a nutty flavor. I got one whole bed of daylilies dug out. I have to wait on the rest, I'm being watched like a hawk. People are so afraid of change! I can use ticks as an excuse for killing the red barberry lol. I think I'll go girdle a couple trees. Technically where the property line is, I could pretty much cut all the limbs off my neighbor's oak. It has one large branch that I want to remove, and also there are a couple large limbs from the cottonwood tree that need to be cut.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's getting about that time for the spring ephemerals to emerge. One genus with many varieties of species all across the continent is Trillium. Illinois has 9 native species. New Jersey has 4, and South Carolina has 17 Trillium species. That's a lot of Trilliums lol. Trillium, Melanthiaceae, Liliales.

Trillium of Illinois.

Trillium cernuum, Illinois.

http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/nodding-trillium

Trillium cuneatum, Illinois.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillium_cuneatum

Trillium erectum, Illinois.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/red_trillium.html

Trillium flexipes, Illinois.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/wh_trillium.htm

Trillium grandiflorum, Illinois.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/lf_trillium.htm

Trillium nivale, Illinois.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/snow_trillium.htm

Trillium recurvstum, Illinois.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/pr_trillium.htm

Trillium sessile, Illinois.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/ss_trillium.htm

Trillium viride, Illinois.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=trvi4

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Trillium of New Jersey

Trillium cernuum, New Jersey.

Trillium erectum, New Jersey.

Trillium grandiflorum, New Jersey.

Trillium undulatum, New Jersey.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRUN

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Trilliums of South Carolina

Trillium catesbaei, Catesby's Trillium, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRCA11

Trillium cuneatum, little sweet Betsy, South Carolina.

Trillium discolor, mottled wakerobin, mottled Trillium, South Carolina.

Trillium erectum, red Trillium, purple Trillium, stinking Benjamin, wakerobin,South Carolina.

Trillium flexipes, drooping Trillium, South Carolina.

Trillium lancifolium, lance leaved Trillium, narrow leaved Trillium, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRLA15

Trillium grandiflorum, South Carolina.

Trillium luteum, yellow wakerobin, yellow Trillium, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRLU3

Trillium maculatum, spotted Trillium, spotted wakerobin, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRMA5

Trillium persistens, persistent Trillium, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRPE7

Trillium oostingii, Wateree Trillium, rare, endangered lone remote colony, South Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trillium_oostingii

Yrillium rugelii, southern nodding Trillium, white flowering variation, South Carolina.

Trillium rugelii, lavender flowered variation, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRRU2

Trillium reliquum, confederate Trillium, confederate wakerobin, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRRE6

Trillium pusillum, dwarf wakerobin, rhizomatous just like T. nivale which it resembles, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRPU3

Triillium simile, jeweled Trillium, sweet white Trillium, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRSI3

Trillium undulatum, South Carolina.

Trillium vaseyi, sweet Trillium, sweet Beth, Vasey's Trillium, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=trva2

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

soil cultivated

Ammended with shredded leaves and planted with Stylophorum diphyllum and Asarum canadense

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Good job Skip! Looks foresty! We want pictures!!! Awesome!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Honestly this was a convenient location for a nursery bed. Ill be propagating these things all over the place over the next few years. The white fence is so far from foresty, maybe I'll expand the bed and plant something shrubby there.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I could use about 50 nursery beds lol!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I didn't know that garlic mustard was endangering a couple butterfly species. Now I'm getting really mad!

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/cerc/danoff-burg/invasion_bio/inv_spp_summ/Alliaria_petiolata.html

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sanguinaria canadensis, tribe Chelidonieae, subfamily Papaveroideae, Papaveraceae, Ranunculales.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/bloodroot.htm

Dicentra canadensis, Papaveraceae, Ranunculales.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/squirrel_corn.html

Arisaema tripyllum, Araceae, Alismatales, Jack in the pulpit.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/jackpulpit.htm

Dodecatheon amethystinum, Primulaceae, Ericales, Illinois native.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/am_shstar.htm

Dodecatheon media, native to Illinois and South Carolina.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/shootingstarx.htm

Dicentra cucullaria, Papaveraceae, dutchman's breeches.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/dutchman.htm

Geranium maculatum, Geraniaceae, Geraniales.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/wild_geranium.htm

Mertensia virginica, Boraginaceae, Boraginales, Virginia bluebells.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/bluebells.htm

Claytonia virginica, Montiaceae, Caryophyllales, spring beauty.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/spring_beauty.htm

Erythronium, tribe Lilieae, subfamily Lilioideae, Liliaceae, Liliales, trout lilies.

Erythronium albidum, white trout lily, Illinois.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/wh_troutlily.htm

Erythronium americanum, Illinois, New Jersey, yellow trout lily.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/yl_troutlily.html

Erythronium mesochoreum, Midland fawnlily, Illinois.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=ERME15

Erythronium umbilicatum, South Carolina, there are 2 variations, Erythronium umbilicum var. monostolum and Erythronium umbilicum var. umbilicum. The variations concern stolons or their absense, underground parts.

Aquilegia canadensis, wild columbine.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/wild_columbine.htm

These are all the native plants that make up a spring garden.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Is this Ribes?

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, this area is looking great! You are moving fast. Please keep pictures coming, love seeing how it goes in other people’s gardens.

Jay, your link is a very interesting read, still have to look up the butterflies mentioned. I don’t think I have ever seen garlic mustard. Maybe because I don’t have any area resembling understory yet? Will keep my eyes open though. Still have too look up some of the plants in your pictures.

Saw the first silver spotted skipper of the year today. Some of my common milkweed coming up. Not exactly in an area it is supposed to be. Oh well.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, Ribes missouriensis by the looks of it. Not multiflora rose. Lucky you! I have to buy mine. That's great that the milkweeds coming back. Wish I knew some close by butterfly gardeners. I could get rid of my extra milkweeds lol!

1 Like Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Garlic mustard is a real nuisance here, comes up even in the lawn. I was at Bowman Hill Wildflower Preserve this morning, which is a pretty intensively maintained park, totally fenced in from deer, and I noticed garlic mustard and Japanese honeysuckle around. There was a stream with a little boggy pool area full of yellow flowers. I thought it was marsh marigold based on a sign they had at the visitor center, but the guide said it the flower in question was lesser celandine. I thought she was talking about celandine poppy, but no, now they started calling that wood poppy and try not to refer to stylophorum as 'celandine' poppy. They dont want visitors to get confused and plant lesser celandine. The lesser celandine is spreading everywhere in there.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Were you getting dirt?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

With my luck, it’s probably going to show up soon. Oh boy, my Niche Gardens order should ship next week! I contacted the Etsy seller I ordered Monarda citriodora plants from. Said they would ship in 3 weeks. It has been 4. They answered the plants were slower than expected, but should ship within 2 weeks. Did they start seeds when I ordered?! Not a big problem, but I wish they would notify me about delays instead of having me ask.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Niche Gardens? I'll have to look at them. They couldn't possibly have anything I want, could they???

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, I don’t think so. I have ordered from them several times and liked the plants. They are also very helpful. Remember the Helianthus schweinitzii I have asked you about? That’s one of the plants I am getting from there.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Niche Gardens has 2 different Chrysogonum, green and gold cultivars, 'Allen Bush' and 'Eco Lacquered Spider'. for $12.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I wish I could grow that Helianthus but it's a piedmont plant.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Did you sow your Redring milkweed seeds outside? Was checking eBay just for fun (don’t know yet if mine will come back) and the price for tubers/ bareroot has skyrocketed again.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, I sowed 60 variegata seeds. If none germinate, I won't be a happy camper! Niche Gardens has cultivars for some Ilex species glabra, verticillata and 1 other.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I placed a big enough order, I think. Getting the veronicastrum from there, too.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The 'Fascination!'. You don't have either burning or bleeding hearts Heliopsis? They have those pretty seaside mallows Kosteletzkya. Some nice grass and Salvia collections. There are a few plants on their list I need to look up.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Both actually. The veronicastrum, I mean.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Where are you getting the Cupid from? I didn't see that at Niche Gardens. I can't wait till April 1st so I can order from Mountain Gardens.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Now that I listed all the spring wildflowers I realize there are still some species I need to complete the collections. I think with bulbs like Trilliums the best way to get started is to order them from the internet, unless you know someone with large colonies and bulbs to spare. I ordered a few Trillium species for this spring. Grandiflorum, nivale, and erectum. I have been growing cernuum and cuneatum for many years.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I don’t think I ordered the Cupid, I have it written downs but it doesn’t have a check mark. I am going to have trouble finding spots for everything as it is.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

They will probably have a newer, fluffier, more purply cultivar in another year lol. Why stop now? The white flowered one reigns supreme in my book! I've grown only 1 white flowered Veronicastrum for decades and I never planted it. It just showed up. Time to start propogating it.

Bright, white lights!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am not going fluffy with anything. I like color, but don’t like messing with the shape of the flowers. Not seeing the point in fluffy flowers with extra petals the pollinators can’t even get through.

dandy_line (Z3b N Cent Mn)

Skip-looks like Gooseberry to me. I have giant pines on my property so I yank out all Ribes I see.

Jay, your pic of Celandine Poppy scared me at first. Because of-

Chelidonium majus - greater celandine (lesser celandine?)

a vicious interloper that I started from seed about five years ago thinking it was Celandine Poppy. I think it maybe was called Celandine which is how I was led astray. They germinated and I spread them throughout my gardens. It took a while before I started to notice that maybe something was amiss. These things were spreading out almost everywhere which didn't seem normal for a wildflower. It was two years ago after some due research I discovered the error that was taking over and since then every day in summer I search it out for destruction. I don't know how the seeds get disbursed so far but it's an ongoing problem that will take me many more years to eradicate. It's even getting loose into my neighbor's yard areas.

The two plant pics above look identical to me except that the bad guys have string like seed pods. -20f doesn't kill it either.

Supposedly biennial, it should die off if I get every-last-plant.

Skip, you might have to get volunteers together and go eradicate that stuff at Bowman Hill W.P.. The staff probably can't do it alone. Imagine the area that it is occupying now becoming 4 times that size in 5 years or so. And growing!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I agree, but that 'Cupid' flower sure does seem a lot fluffier than the normal white ones. Maybe it was photoshopped? I have a lot of other purple colored flowers.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, do you grow any Heliopsis? I'd order the Cupid but I can't spend any more. I do like it and Fascination and don't have a problem with growing them. They are still comepletely native as far as I'm concerned. I'll just be having white ones this year. The white Veronicastrum and Eryngium yuccafolium will be contrasts to the colorful prairie flowers. Wild quinine and Indian plantain can fill that role too.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I didn't put a pic of the invasive celendine, did I? Bowman Hill is going to have a tour of their wildflower nursery. Skip, you should go and give them some good advice. Dandy are you growing Stylophorum now? That is confusing and retarded that both species are called celendine. Now, you are growing the native Jacob's ladder, Polemonium reptans? I was confused about the Polemonium, but I've got it now. I remember years ago I bought a variegated Jacob's ladder. It did bad and died. I'm sure it was the European species. There's a native Corydalis. I tried growing it with no luck but I was able to grow the European Corydalis lutea and the blue flowered Chinese Corydalis flexuosa, which never lasted more than a year or 2. I just looked. There are 4 Corydalis species native to Illinois. That's mind blowing!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I first got interested in the genus Corydalis when I saw and heard of a native wildflower named Corydalis sempervirens, pale Corydalis. This species has been reclassified since then. It's been put into it's own genus and is the sole member of that genus called Capnoides. So now this plant which was formerly Corydalis sempervirens is now Capnoides sempervirens.

Capnoides sempervirens, subtribe Corydalinae, tribe Fumarieae, subfamily Fumsrioideae, Papaveraceae, Ranunculales.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=COSE5

The real existing native Corydalis.

Corydalis aurea, Papaveraceae, Ranunculales, scrambled eggs. Illinois, Minnesota.

http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/golden-corydalis

Corydalis flavula, yellow fumewort, Illinois, New Jersey, South Carolina.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=COFL3

Corydalis curvisiliqua, Illinois.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=COCU2

Corydalis micrantha, slender corydalis, Illinois, Minnesota, South Carolina. The native Corydalis are ok. They are all yellow. I still like the Capnoides sempervirens even though it's an annual or biennial. So, the only Corydalis I ever grew that lasted a long time was the aliwn C. lutea. That had yellow flowers, and I tried a fern leaved variety with yellow flowers. Then there is the blue flowered species from China or Tibet.

Corydalis flexuosa

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Ground in full bloom. Something to aim for.

What a dazzling intersection of species!

Been there, done that.

If you plant it they will come!

To be looking at that many plants and they are all yours! Priceless!

Green and gold in proliferation mode.

In 2 weeks it's going to get up to almost 70, so it shouldn't be much longer before outdoor germination starts happening.

I can explain what I'm doing. Way in the background to the left of the shed there are 2 very large oaks, but all the smaller trees are white mulberries and alien buckthorns. There is a raised bed there too. It's where I grow the Stylophorum, Geranium maculatum, Mertensia, ect. To the left of the raised bed is another buckthorn I want to cut down. To the left of that buckthorn is a large, old, blue spruce. I want to cut off the lower limbs so it's easier to work under, and then I want to start adding plants around the base of it. There are a couple burning bushes in the picture that need removing too. By letting more sun in I can grow more species.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Sounds like a plan Jay!

I do plan to go to Bowman Hill for their plant nursery opening. They have stuff like the trilliums, jack in the pulpit, shooting star, dutchmans breeches and other dicentras that I would like. I was thinking of getting 1 each of their wood poppy, bluebells, geranium, etc so I have the local ecotype to crose pollinate whatever I get mail-order or through trade.

Dandy, they have volunteer days at BHWP where they go and eradicate invasives. I saw some blue dye here and there that had been sprayed. The lesser celandine is Ficaria verna.

its a low growing plant with waxy leaves about the size of creeping charlie and it is blooming earlier than everything else. It carpets the roadside all along the delaware river. I could see it in sensitive places like along a very small stream off the trail through a thicket that was lined with ostrich ferns and probably other spring ephemerals. Im not sure how youd walk in there to weed.

Ok-I see it was a Ranunculus. Lots of 2-4-d may be the only way to eradicate.

Jay-your Celandine is the correct one so you are in good shape. I keep trying to germinate them but not successful. Maybe this year is the year tho. You might have to send me some of your Celandine in a care package.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I just looked and the Geranium maculatum is starting to emerge. Dandy, what do you need besides Stylophorum?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

This is Virginia plantain, right? Hopefully Jay’s pictures are teaching me something. Saw a couple of patches in the flower bed. Didn’t notice them before. That is telling you how far behind I am with my Spring cleanup.

common milkweed popping up between them. That is throwing any kind of order, like shown in Skip’s planting diagram, out the window. I need a plan B.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The common milkweed comes up wherever it wants to. Yes those are Plantago virginica. I hope you find a P. patagonica. P. cordata is nice too. It just rained and now I'm seeing weed and flower seeds germinating.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Anything in your bins yet? It’s supposed to freeze tonight. After it being so warm. The apios tuber I planted in a pot is just starting to emerge, so I brought it inside. Didn’t check on the ones I planted directly in the ground.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I didn't see anything germinated in the bins. I'll have to pay even more attention to the weather. I wouldn't want all my Ascepias variegata seedlings freezing. It was cold today, only 40. Tonight and tomorrow night it's going to get in the 20s, but then a big warm up and no more freezing temperatures. I'm wondering if one of my weed trees might be a black walnut. I see a lot of nut husks on the ground. That would explain why a lot of plants died out in that corner. It was too cold to get much done today. I took some of the red lava rocks out of the beds. I'll just keep removing the rocks every time I plant or do anything in there.

Save    

Jay-the problem species have been the Stylophorum and Mertensia, among others of course. But I am getting better over time. I did get one Pulsatilla iinto the garden once, and one Castillja. There must be ways to do these that I don't know about. Hoping all comes out ok this year of course.

Watch out Jay-I'm sending you some snow tonight!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It doesn't say snow but the radar is showing something. Dandy, you have Geranium maculatums? Do you have Polemonium repans? Wild sarsaparilla?

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Range of Ficaria verna, lesser celendine. The lighter blue means the species is exotic and present.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Im not seeing any sprouts yet in my trays. Its supposed to hit 31 tonight and tomorrow night, then stay above freezing afterward. I'll start watering daily after that to encourage germination. Im seeing some plants in my front garden greening up.

Does common milkweed put on a lot of vertical growth in the spring? I might have screwed up, I planted(sowed) winter rye on top of the milkweed and Tridens grass, thinking I would be able to kill it by mowing in the spring before the milkweed really starts growing. But re-reading, it looks like I have to wait until the winter rye flowers which might not be until may. Will the milkweed grow back after being mowed in may?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

If the milkweeds had a decent amount of roots then they should grow back. It's hard to say. Any syriaca that's been in the ground for a year or 2 should be able to bounce back from problems, but because these were just put in the ground I can't give a better answer. This sounds just like something I would do, plant something on top of something else I just planted lol! I have about 4 bins that just say on paper 'mux up'. It should be interesting IDing what grows in them. Can't you just rip the grass off the top? The robins are loving my digging everywhere. Makes me really want to get all that landscape fabric out. It's kind of like digging for dinasaur bones. I have to remove years of dirt to get to the fabric itself. This reminds me that I need to thin out my common milkweeds at the old garden. I need to do some cleanup there too. The suckers that grew from the redbud that was cut down have gotten tall. I need to cut them to ground level and apply brush killer. It's in the area where all the spring ephemerals are. I'm going to move all of them to the new place.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I really can’t say. I always have some growing out of the border that gets mowed and grows back. But it might have the support from the roots inside the flower bed. By mid May mine are at this stage inside the flower bed.

3 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

It was supposed to be 'living mulch' lol. I should just order a bag of oats if I want to try this again in the fall, the winter cold kills them. The seeds were actually a blend of crimson clover, oats, and winter rye, I should take a closer look at it tomorrow. The rye is still growing green and strong.

Planted and seeded August 24

Sept 5th, 12 days later

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

If they were like that at the end of the year they should be ok and should grow through the grass because it looks thin. You could check to make sure the grass isn't hindering them when they pop through and pull any out that is.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My big colony of common milkweeds looks just like yours Iris. Those are beautiful plants! Plant Delights charges a lot for shipping. 31 dollars to ship a plant??? Nope! My Tweedias are looking for something to climb.

Ocimum tenuiflorum, Lamiaceae, Lamiales, Holy Basil, tulsi. The seeds are starting to germinate. I want to grow holy basil in a pot and keep it in my holiest of holies lol!

I just put in my bare root plant request with Mountain Gardens.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am always thinking twice before ordering from Plant Delights because of the shipping. I mean, they are in the next State over from me and it’s still very expensive. Love their catalogs though. So fun to read.

javiwa

Jay: The seedlings in your tray look soooo lush...wow! As you know, I transplanted mine into larger individual cups/containers and have had them outdoors in filtered sunlight for weeks. None has died (yay!), and they're all growing new leaves; but all are pretty lanky. I know that's a sign of too little light, so I may need to unfilter the sunlight. Esp all my perennis cannot take full sun, so they'll need extra attention for now. We've had Monarchs constantly laying eggs in the yard, and I don't want to lose some of my new plants to hungry caterpillars; so, I may hold aside a few in pots (much as I'm trying to get rid of my pot world!). As it is, the many Monarch cats have already nibbled down to almost-nubs what stems didn't die this winter.

Great news! Remember those pink incarnata that grew so well in my patio pot, quickly succumbed to rust? It's coming back at the base -- so excited! We bit the bullet yesterday (thanks for the inspiration last fall, Iris!) and carved out a new bed in our lawn. I'll be busy shredding more leaves to cover the area, and will need to decide what goes there. At least some of my new milkweeds can be up front where I can see them. :)

My cassia should be crawling with sulphur cats this week, and I already spied three ~4th instar Eastern black swallowtail cats hiding among my fennel which has surprisingly grown to a lush 3'x3" bushy wonderfulness.

javiwa

Iris: I'm drooling over your MW patch! Wow...

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Well look what the wind blew in! You finally made a guest apearance Javi, how splendid!

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That is an awesome syriaca patch!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Plant delights wanted to charge me over $31 on a $17 plant. The only other nursery that had the plant wanted $40 minimum orders so I didn't order the plant but I did because Mountain Gardens also carries it becuse it's another famous Chinese medicinal. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I can get 1 Apios priceana plant. It's going to almost reach 80 here next Sunday. That should set off a lot of germination.

Save    
javiwa

Sorry I've been a bit AWOL, Jay. Been spending a lot of my computer time on a laptop that doesn't have me logged in to GW/Houzz. And when I've wanted to chime in, I've been too lazy to get off my behind, walk over to the desk, and look up my PW! haha....maybe that's a sign my garden work is pooping me out, but in a good way.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You have more planting space now. We'll have to fix that lol!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Thismia americana. Hasn't been seen since 1916. It looks like it's crying out for help. We await your return! A yam? I read about this from the Illinois plant society. They keep members informed about new species and disappearing species.

https://www.daily-journal.com/news/local/the-hunt-for-the-ghost-plant-thismia/article_44ba5a6e-e48f-5019-a430-da7854f08c7c.amp.html

https://youtu.be/p5TgJFTlraU

Not Rosemary's sister but Ode to Thismia.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Javi, I am jealous. All kinds of caterpillars! Great job on the new flower beds. Looks like you have plenty of room. At least for a little while...

My husband is lucky he had to go on a business trip. I am so mad! He mowed for the first time this weekend and ran over a few trees and shrubs. Yes, the grass/ weeds were really high and my trees and shrubs tiny and for the most part still dormant. But they did have mulch circles around them he should have been able to see if he wouldn’t drive that tractor around like some sort of race car.

Seems the deer are not the only reason I should put cages around everything.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Now the weather guy said we might get snow tomorrow morning. Say what?!

Tight fit!

The black cherries are flowering.

4 Likes Save     Thanked by Jay 6a Chicago
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Hey Iris, I accidentally cut the entite top off my oak seedling last year and it grew back, dont lose hope yet for your trees and shrubs yet

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am not sure who of you here put Stenanthium gramineum in my head a while ago. Probably Jay. I found one nursery online selling it, but I suppose they do little mailorder (as in everything by phone/email). Any idea where to look? I would like to try it.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yeah, not giving up. But really? So far I saw one Virginia sweetspire, one buckeye, one sweetshrub and a little oak cut off. What did your oak seedling do as far as a leader?

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I dont quite remember, I was just happy it pushed out new leaves. I'll take pics when they leaf out again in a few weeks.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, I put that plant in your head Iris. Go for it! Them!!! I have 3.

https://www.izelplants.com/stenanthium-gramineum-eastern-featherbells.html

My rhizomatous Trillium nivale came in. Tapla just said that any tree leader can be set to grow straight.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha. I thought so. It says sorry out of stock.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Maybe I will email the nursery that popped up on google. But they have more interesting stuff. I said I am done.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Sorry Iris, I didn't know they were out. Bunchflower is similar.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

No problem. Ever heard of Kollar Nursery?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I was just looking at that nursery. They have a lot of native plants that I'm starting from seeds. It says they have the Stenanthium gramineum in stock. I would give them a try. I'm going back to look at more plants over there. They sound dedicated to natives.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yep, looks like a dangerous place to look around... I emailed them to see if they ship to South Carolina and how it works.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The bunchflowers I've always known as Melanthium but that genus name is no longer being accepted. The new assigned genus name is Veratrum. There are 9 native species listed under Veratrum on bonap. 5 native Veratrum species occur in the east. Veratrum latifolium = hybridum, V. parviflorum, V. virginicum, V. viride and V. woodii.

Veratrum hybridum, Melanthiaceae, Liliales, Slender bunchflower, SC, NJ. Veratrum hybridum is a synonym for Veratrum latifolium.

https://www.ncwildflower.org/plant_galleries/details/veratrum-latifolium-veratrum-latifolium

Veratrum parviflorum Appalachian bunchflower, SC.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=VEPA3

Veratrum virginicum, Virginia bunchflower, S.C., N.J., IL.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/bunchflower.html

Veratrum virginicum.

Veratrum viride, false hellebore, Indian poke, South Carolina, New Jersey.

Veratrum woodii, Wood's bunchflower, Wood's false hellebore, Ozark bunchflower, South Carolina, Illinois.

Veratrum woodii.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=VEWO3

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I really don’t like all this name changing. My lastest bug book apologizes in the foreword that it is probably going to be outdated by the time it goes to print.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I run into it all the time. The bug names are hard enough already lol.

Save    

Dandy, you have Geranium maculatums? Do you have Polemonium repans? Wild sarsaparilla?

Yes-I have them wild here(except-Polemonium reptans was from seed).

Also

Wood Anemone, my only spring ephemeral.

And things like

Swamp Lousewort

Pipsissewa

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

So you just need Mertensia and Stylophorum then? I have to look up a couple of your plants. I grew a pasqueflower years ago. It lasted s few years. You do have some Aralia nudicaulis plants right? The Chimaphyla umbellata is awesome. I didn't know about it. It seems to do better in Minnesota and New Jersey but I'd love to grow it. I've always wanted to grow Pedicularis and spreading dogbane, but never got around to it.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Kalmia, Ericaceae, Ericales.

Kalmia angustifolia, Ericaceae Ericales. Native to New Jersey.

Kalmia angustifolia.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=KAAN

Brown Elfin Butterfly uses Kalmia angustifolia as a host plant.

Kalmia buxifolia, South Carolina, New Jersey, sand myrtle.

Kalmia buxifolia.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=lebu

Laurel Sphinx Moth

Laurel Sphinx Moth Caterpillar.

Kalmia carolina, native to South Carolina, sheepkill.

Kalmia carolina.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=KACA2

Columbia Silk Moth uses Kalmias as hostplants.

Kalmia cuneata, native to South Carolina.

Kalmia cuneata.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=KACU

Northern Blue Butterfly uses Kalmia species as host plants.

Kalmia hirsuta, hairy mountain laurel, native to South Carolina.

Kalmia hirsuta.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=KAHI2

Kalmia latifolia, South Carolina, New Jersey.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=KALA

Kalmia latifolia.

Kalmia polifolia, bog laurel, New Jersey.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=kapo

Kalmia polifolia.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Threatened or endangered somewhere.

Adlumia fungosa, climbing fumitory

http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/allegheny-vine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aeschynomene_virginica

Lindera melissifolia, the drainage of wetlands has caused its demise. Pondberry is close cousin to spicebush and probably hosts the ssme insects.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=LIME7

Trillium reliquum.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=TRRE6

Erythronium propullans, Minnesota dwarf trout lily.

http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/dwarf-trout-lily

Rhodiola intedrifolia ssp. leedyi, Leedy's roseroot.

http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/leedys-roseroot

Asclepias meadii

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered/plants/meads/index.html

Hymenoxy acaulis var. glabra. Once included in the Gaillardia genus.

https://www.fws.gov/midwest/endangered/plants/lakeside.html

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Scutellaria, Lamiaceae. There are about 42 native varieties AFAIK. The species pictured are the 7 species native to my area. I would like to grow some of these in the future years. The Sctutellaria species native to South Carolina are S. altamaha, S. elliptica, S. integrifolia, S. mellichampii, S. multiglandulosa, S. nervosa, S. ocmulgee, S. ovata, S. saxatilis, S. serrata.

Scutellarias native to New Jersey are S. elliptica, S. galericulata, S. integrifolia, S. lateriflora, S. nervosa, S. parvula, S. saxatilis, S. serrata

Minnesota native Scutellarias are S. galericulata, S. lateriflora, S. ovata, S. parvula.

Scutellaria elliptica, hairy skullcap.

Scutellaria incana, hoary skullcap.

Scutellaria galericulata, common, marsh, and hooded skullcap.

Scutellaria lateriflora, blue, mad dog, and side flowering skullcap.

Scutellaria nervosa, veiny skullcap.

Scutellaria nervosa.

Scutellaria ovata, heart leaved skullcap. The only Scutellaria species I'm growing.

Scutellaria parvula, small skullcap.

https://youtu.be/y3nCkymyVHI

https://youtu.be/sthjkqvCEbQ

Save    
javiwa

Sorry, Iris, but your story gave me a chuckle...can't live with 'em, can't live without. ;) If you'll enlarge my pic, you'll notice two overturned clay pots towards the right. Before DH fired up the weed whacker, I HAD to protect my recently relocated tithonias. And there's another to the left behind the brown trashcan. He said he would be careful, but I didn't want to slow down his job. He accidentally chopped one of the smaller tiths he didn't see among the tall grass, but I've got 10-12 more plants I potted up -- have been giving away to neighbors. :)

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Javi, I can't wait to see your yard in about 3 months. The Tithonias are growing fast. I started them too early because I thought I might run into problems. I'm going to repot them in bigger pots tomorrow.

1 Like Save    
javiwa

Too much pressure, Jay! ;) (Tithonias have fast become one of my best buddies in the yard.)

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I want to see pictures! Jay, I hope you are going to figure out how to get your progress pictures on here! Just found a pretty purple wildflower. Not calling it a weed just yet. The flower shape reminds me a bit of the purple ones you just posted above. Going to look closer tonight.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Liliym pyrophylum.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=LIPY5

Range of Liliym pyrophylum.

This is an old pic. Here's a new lily thats only native to South Carolina, figures!

New picture. I'm removing the larger leaves off the Tithonias bottom left with the Tweedias directly behind looking for something to climb. The vines to the left are Dregea sinensis. Back left Gomphocarpus and Calotropis in single pots. There are only 3 Calotropis procera. The C. gigantea seeds didn't germinate. My popcorn cassia seeds didn't germinate either. Last year I only sowed about 6 seeds each of Asclepias curassavicq and Gomphocarpus physocarpus. I ended up with only a couple plants of each. I sowed a lot more seeds this year, and got better germination, so now I have about 30 tropical milkweeds and 30 Gomphocarpus plants. Hopefully I'll find people around here willing to take a few off my hands. I should not have to make any emergency milkweed runs to the nursery this year. If I have more Monarchs than I can handle, God help me! I just wailed a machete on a mulberry thats been a pain for a long time. It felt....fulfilling!

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Your plants are looking great! I don’t think you will have any problems finding homes for the extras. Can you ever have too many caterpillars? I can just imagine what your neighbors are thinking, seeing you out there with a machete.

I am going to have to look up the lily. And the plant I found out there today. First things first though. Does the name that animal forum deal with sea creatures? Was just feeding my husband’s saltwater tank. Missed the fire shrimp and looking closer there was a weird creature. Maybe it was just a cucumber. Should look it up to see if it is safe enough to stick my arm in. Bad enough there is this cranky old clown fish that bites. Sorry, off topic.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My next door neighbor spent time in prison for stabbing somebody so I could care less what they think. They know better not to mess with me lol! I don't go on any animal forums. The lily is beautiful, but it grows in sandy areas. That's funny that clown fish bite. Don't they stay close to the stinging anemones? I looked at Kollar nursery's plants, but I didn't order anything. I have the non native bleeding heart. I'd like to get a few of the native bleeding hearts, Dicentra eximia. I planted 3 snow Trilliums. I added lime and leaf matter to the hole. The fire pile has been growing for 12 years and I think there might be a couple tons of bad toxic ash because gas was used to start the fires. I have to clean it all up. I think it's leaching into the soil and killing the grass. The west fasing side of the house is going to be a big job prepping because there are a lot of red lava rocks on that side.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The clownfish does, but I have to get close to the anemones to feed them. What do you call a flower shape like this?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Simple, odd shaped, bi-lateral simitry??? It's a mint right?

Valerianella umbilicata, northern corn salad. It's taller than the other corn salads and can be used as a wildflower. It's unusual to see something in the honeysuckle family with flowers this small.

Valerianella umbilicata.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/north_cs.htm

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It’s the flower I found today. I looked at a lot of images of purple flowers and thought I could simplify my search a bit.

javiwa

Percula or tomato clown, Iris? Have never heard of an aggressive clownfish. We used to keep saltwater tanks. Found a beautiful undulate triggerfish at a local shop for $10...such a steal, we thought. Owner said someone returned it, and he was trying to get rid of it. Within 24 hours, we knew why: it started chunking away at our decorative coral one night, and pretty much had destroyed everything by morning. DH netted it, stuck his hand in to grab it (for eventual return to the store), and it clamped on tight...never heard DH howl like that. Shop owner had quite a grin when we brought the fish back.

Jay: I'd love some Gomphocarpus seeds if you can spare some this fall. TIA.

javiwa

Just finished shredding the last bag of leaves for the year!!!! (As in: will stow the machine so I won't even be tempted any more. Though, I AM having DH construct a second compost bin...hmmm.)

Voila - new bed mulched with said leaves:

Now the stress of what to plant where. :)

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It looks like the hoary skullcap Iris. Maybe not hoary, but it looks like a skullcap.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I thought the pictures of purple flowers you posted reminded me, but the leaves don’t fit. I am not totally sure if I looked at the right ones on the ground (it’s all so jumbled together), but it almost looked like some ground covering succulent and the flower stalks growing up about 10 inches.

Javi, your flower bed looks so nice! Bet it will be gorgeous in no time. It is a tomato clown. And he does draw blood if he gets a sensitive skin area. Still trying to figure out what that weird thing from earlier is. At least it is moving slowly. The tank is 180 gallons, so lots of stuff just from the live rocks. Never seen this one. I prefer taking care of his freshwater. Between mowing over my trees and this one, he owes me some plants....

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You didn't show many leaves for that plant. The veins in the flowers aren't like any Scutellaria that I know of. It still looks mint family.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Javi, yes I'll send you Gomphocarpus seeds! I saw a salt water fish tank on tv, and something was eating the coral at night. It turned out to be some weird marine worm.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well, this is what it looks like on the ground. I am going to try to look it up a bit more after I find out the sea creature. If I can’t find it, I might dig one up to sort out the leaves and take some more pictures.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Wow! Now I'm really stumped. I would send it you know where lol. They are going to have fun with that one.

https://youtu.be/lTO3K6U-3Xo

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, I might do that tomorrow after digging one out. I think it’s really pretty, so I hope it’s nothing invasive. It’s growing in pretty much gravel in the flower bed right next to the driveway, not much else wants to grow there.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Those are parts of the same plant. Those stems on the ground? The leaves remind me of Portulaca. The flowers and leaves don't seem to match. Could be something in the figwort family? Take a picture of the whole plant before you pull it. Why pull it if it turns out to be something good.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Don’t worry, there are at least 5 of them. Didn’t weed there yet, so who knows. How come it seems all of you have well behaved gardens with known enemies, and every time I turn around there is something new?

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Iris did you hear back from Kollar nursery? There are tons of plants in my garden I havent identified yet, including BIG ones. I'll have some photos when I clean it up more and start weeding regularly.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I can see a bunch of newly germinated weeds coming up everywhere. My jewelweeds are germinating. I was worried they didn't shoot any seeds before the deer mowed them down.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, why are you waiting to hear from Kollar nursery? They have nice plants. I didn't know there was another species of spicebush. I found out about this ground covering st. John's wort called Hypericum calycinum. I wish I had gardening friends close by. I wonder if they would have the native bleeding heart Dicentra eximia at this years native plant sale? I've never grown squirrel corn, Dicentra canadensis either. I'd like to collect all the species of ephemerals native here eventually, maybe adding a few each year. If I could get could get good at propogating them from seed that would be great.

Squirrel corn.

Squirrel corn.

Dicentra eximia.

Yrillium sessile.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

There is a Hypericum that is listed as growing in the park right down the street, I would like to gather some seeds from that if I can find it. Hypericum hypericoides St Andrews Cross.

Bowman Hill had Dicentra eximia and a couple other ones for sale last year.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Skip, I did not get an answer from them yet. I will give it at least another day. I would think this is an awfully busy time for all of these nurseries. I mean my last email to Pine Ridge was just to see if they still have my credit card on file. And if so, send me whatever they have from my wish list at whatever time they get to it. I know last year this lady was really overwhelmed. Still got me the Redring milkweed, so I cut them some slack. I am so glad you have unidentified plants, too. I know that I don’t know nearly as much as all of you do, but it makes me feel better there are plants you don’t know.

Jay, I did have a single jewelweed last year popping up by itself after trying to grow it from seeds without success. It flowered, but I am not seeing anything coming up. I have a lot of poison ivy, so I would really love some jewelweed.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Looks like a ground cover to me. Hypericum calycinum. I saw it for sale.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, I contacted Kollar Nursery about the plant you put in my head.... since they don’t have the online ordering of just putting stuff in your cart.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I think there was a problem ordering. I decided not to get anything so I didn't press the matter. That's an awesome hypericum Skip, can you get me some seeds too lol!.

Hypericum hypericoides. St. Andrew's cross. + + +

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The list of plants for the sale of the native plant society here is finally up. I don’t think I will go. It’s really crazy in the first place (think Walmart on Black Friday) and it looks like they have fewer plants than I do. The only thing interesting was Helianthus glaucophyllus. Don’t have that one.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Here's a lily that's native to South Carolina and New Jersey. Fly poison. It's not native for me.

Amianthium muscitoxicum, fly poison.

Amianthium muscitoxicum.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=AMMU

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, do you belong to your native plant society? I am for sure going to our plant sale!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I do not. I don’t think the membership fee is worth to get into the plant sale earlier. I do read up on their activities sometimes. I am not the social type to dress up for banquets and such, so it doesn’t really appeal to me. I emailed them before to ask if they wanted some plants, but I really kind of got a brush off. Even though it would have been offspring of plants I got from them. And some Native here they never offered. Oh well.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That Kollar site is strange. You can't put anything in a cart or am I missing something? I like the sourwood tree but don't have a space to put it in. It's very frustrating when you really want something and it's hard to get.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Looks to me like they are not doing a lot of mail order, but are willing to ship if you email or call.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

They didn't have any plants important enough for me to want to call or email them.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, I still can't figure out what your lavender flowered plant is. I can't see any internal parts to the flowers and the leaves look more like a Sedum than a mint.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I did email, still no response.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I am going to dig one up and take closer pictures of the leaves.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

My trays arent looking too hot, lots of sunken soil, hoping the seeds didnt wash away. Maybe I'll have to redesign the hoop house again, this time with a plastic cover with venting next year. Darn it I should have just bought 100 bins like Jay.

I picked up a hose atttachment that's supposed to have a gentle stream for seedlings and that thing didnt work either! Wayyy too much water volume. Frustrating

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

With the weather now and these bins I'll really have to be on my toes if we have any freak heat spells or freezes. Some of the soil im the bins got compressed but it should be ok. I started compensating for it later on. Hopefully I'll be able to plant everything straight from the bins so I want need to do a lot of repotting. I only sowed about 12 seeds each for many species so there won't be too many extras.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Fingers crossed for the seeds! Hope they will work out fine. The water hose attachments are frustrating. I have yet to find one that works well for all purposes from watering little seedlings to trees. Or rinsing off the porches. Mine are currently a very unattractive yellowish/ green from all the pollen.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

You could water them from the bottom Skip. Oops,I forgot, you didn't sow 3 seeds, more like 3000 lol! I pulled out a bunch of fabric and a rose bush came attached. It's history now, but it was only still alive because of me too. A whole clump of spiderwort grew on top of the fabric. It looks like the original owner got cheap and just used black plastic in places. I swear the entire yard is covered in either fabric or plastic. Now, all the worms can start crawling up for air. Taking out the barberry is going to be major, so I want to have the Aronia already on hand to make a quick transition to something that looks nice to lessen the shock. There were 2 Asclepias tuberosas that were in pots that were never planted. I kept them in the garage and tried transplanting them today, but it looked like they rotted. I added their nice soil to the bed anyways. There is some heavy clay further down. It's always been frustrating finding the perfect nozzle. And then when I do, they don't last long.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Making progress! Yay, my first plants arrived today! Pretty sure the UPS guy made fun of me. He looked around, handed me the package and said:” I see you desperately need more plants.” Ha ha.

Jay, thought of you and your Senna seeds earlier. Went to check on my back flowerbed. Found this little one.

Seriously?! These plants better hurry up and grow. I didn’t sow any intentionally, but there are a lot coming up. I think she found most of them...

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I hope everything germinates fine Skip! We're talking about a lot of species. It's a great concern!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah it is concerning. I guess these things are always a gamble. Im not worried about larger seeds like milkweed, its the tiny ones that can float away easily. I ordered a different nozzle that supposed to be even gentler, hope this one works.

Nice work around your yard, RIP rose bush.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My friend got ticked off about the rose but it really did come out when I yanked the fabric out. I think I should probably start adding some nice looking plants before digging any more shrubs out. I still want to take out 3 burning bushes, 2 privets, 2 spireas and a climbing rose. I'd like to move a few of the Viburnums into sunnier spots. The rose vine is getting too much shade, but I think a Clematis virginiana would do and look better in that spot. It's kind of hidden so its absense won't be noticed lol. I grew a virgin's bower vine years ago and I liked it a lot. I'm kind of going around now and digging out the mulberries and buckthorns so I don't have to worry about them later on when they are trying to smother other plants. There are going to be several huge bags of leaves so I'm going to have to start composting them.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, is that a senna seedling the butterfly is on? I think I'm growing the obtusifolia in a pot too. What plants did you get?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It is a Senna seedling. They are just coming up. Guess this little one was glad to find something to lay eggs on. I got a little bit of this and that. The veronicastrum (2 each), a magnolia, fothergilla, more boneset and rattlesnake master. And of course my helianthus Schweinitzii. With this one being listed endangered, I am a bit nervous even though sunflowers usually go wild in my garden. Should I cage them? I don’t think my Jerusalem artichoke are coming back after being repeatedly eaten by the deer last year as young ones. They they were supposed to be like weeds.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Oh, I forgot. My plant from yesterday got an ID very quickly on Name that Plant. Texas Toadflax. Yay! I’ve read the Buckeye uses it as hostplant.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I was looking for it. I didn't see it. Did I mention figworts, hmm! I thought I did. I figured it might get noticed fast. What plants did you get today?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Did my post get lost?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, that's a beautiful plant, and a buckeye host plant. It's.native here but I've never seen it. Can you please save me some seeds. I bet they're tiny lol!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I love when the weeds turn out to be something nice. Iris, you should cage the sunflower. The deer ate my helianthus maximiliani last year repeatedly until i started spraying it with Liquid fence. Then I planted switch grass around it, that should create a physical barrier while also giving the sunflower something to lean on so it doesnt flop over again. The new grass starts were too small last year but hopefully I'll get to see if it works this year.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I would say better safe than sorry, but maybe cage the sunflower this year until it's established. Can you tell which caged plants the deer want to eat by the way they act. So those sennas are annuals and spread everywhere? I thought they were perennials until recently. The partridge peas are annuals and there are going to be thousands of them if I don't weed them out. Major invasives at the old garden. The partridge peas, kudzu - like morning glories, larkspur, trumpet vine, lamb's quarters, ugly Bidens, and a few more mulberries. I'm pretty sure the mulberry in the easement of the property is a male plant.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What post got lost? Sometimes one goes above me and I don't see it for awhile lol. I wish I had more cool plants showing up in my yard. Maybe the hurricanes blow in all those seeds.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Cages it is! It does look weird, but since my neighbors are doing the same with their young trees nobody complains. I would say the Senna are annual, but they are easy to pull. I was going to thin out the seedlings this year, but I guess I am already too late. Or have to look very carefully for eggs. Also saw way too many Frostweed. Love them, but will need to free some other plants.

Driving today, I already saw some wisteria flowering. I should stop sometime and take pictures of what it looks like just a mile away with the kudzu.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I thought the post with the list of plants I got was lost. I should get some things planted tomorrow. Rain expected tomorrow night and temperatures expected to be safe. Perfect.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Id like to see pics of the vines. Im always tempted to stop and take pictures along the roadside. I really wanted to take a picture of this low area between highway exits last year but there are no shoulders. It was absolutly filled with white boneset and goldenrod, you could not see the ground or any green near the center when it was flowering. It looked spectacular. Just imagine how many pollinators got fat for the winter in there.

I actually did take a picture while stopped at a traffic light one day. There used to be more trees in there, now they've been topped by whatever these vines are, probably bittersweet.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The alien, invasive bittersweet right? I should go take pictures of all the invasives just down the road. I think I'll use them for green matter to make the compost cook faster. There aren't any more below freezing temps. in the weather forcast. Why hasn't South Carolina eradicated kudzu yet? Is it really that hard to get rid of? We could use a little rain here. Well, it looks like it will be raining here a lot over the next couple weeks so I try to get as much done while it's still dry.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Agalinis auriculata
https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/eared_foxglovex.htm

Agalinis tenuifolia.
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/slfs_foxglove.htm

Agalinis purpurea.
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/pf_foxglovex.htm

Nutallanthus canadensis, formerly Linaria canadensis. The north American Linaria species were reasigned to Nutallanthus.

Nutallanthus canadensis.
https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/bl_toadflax.htm

Nutallanthus texanus.
https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=nute

Nutallanthus texanus.

Nutallanthus texanus..

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The area of kudzu near my house is by a river, so this might be an added problem using herbicides. South Carolina has a lot of problems with invasive plants. But I can’t even win the battle in my yard. For example this one wisteria has been a battle for years. I have thrown everything except the kitchen sink at it. It looks dead, just to pop up next to a tree 20 feet away. I don’t even want to talk about honeysuckle, privet or pears.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Just a guess, I assume its asian bittersweet based on some thats growing nearby at work. Workload and budgets for public land management and road maintenance are already pushed to the brink, and taxes are already sky high, so I understand why "they" havent eradicated all this trash already.

Some developers bought this contaminated land down the street from this picture too and put up an adult active community (55+ only, although all the houses are 2 story and like 3000sq ft and start at like $475k so who is "downsizeng" to that!?). The groundwater is contaminated via being downstream from a land flll and old industrial activity. Anyway, before they bulldozed the woods there last year, the wood edge was completely devoured by japanese knotweed and these vines. Im kind of looking forward to those developers having to deal with that stuff trying to creep back in to their perfect sod and miscanthus beds for pretty much the rest of time. At least now somebody has to do something about it instead of letting invasives run wild over an abandoned private woodland.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Xerophyllum asphodeloides. Another lily in Melanthiaceae that's native to South Carolina and New Jersey.

Xerophyllum asphodeloides, Melanthiaceae, Liliales.

Xerophyllum asphodeloides.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=XEAS

Xerophyllum asphodeloides. It likes sandy, acid soil. Plants are available online. The foliage looks like grass. The same as Stenanthium leaves. I'm not trying to tempt anyone into buying it. It just could be a substitute for Stenanthium if one was not able to find it lol!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The zoning board and town hall meetings are a joke. Im sure one or two people compained at the public hearing, then the local govt officials shrugged and rubber stamped the building permits. There are probably ways to engineer around the contamination issues. I know that plans to build a school on one of these sites was rejected, but they had no problem building condos on that very same site that the school was not allowed on.

Sorry for getting off topic. I emailed a nursery this morning about them getting 5 spicebush, 3 pussy willows, and a sweet birch for me from a local native wholesaler. Waiting to hear back from them.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's raining here and it's part of the system heading your way Iris. It looks like you're going to get a lot more rain. I'm going to have a lot of brush to deal with. I'll have to cut it all up nice and neat. The soil underneath the landscape fabric looks very compacted and lifeless when I remove the fabric. I want to order an chokecherry and black cherry and chokeberry from the local native nursery maybe next month. These rains now will cause all lot of plants to emerge. The ephemerals. If I can get more sun in the back shady corner I could turn the large, raised bed into something amazing. I have the species to do it. There is a huge nest of milkweed bugs in the garden.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Terra preta

They can't leave perfection alone. This is a new Rudbeckia hirta cultivar. Denver Daisy. I'm sick of all these doubles. It's only beautiful when it happens naturally.

http://northcoastgardening.com/2010/10/why-i-hate-landscape-fabric/

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

The double flowered plants are sterile right?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I hope so!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

This is one good looking seedling! Sorry you have to deal with the landscape fabric, but it will be worth it getting it out. Planted all my plants and moved some penstemon to a safer place. It’s been a while since I had to drag 200 feet of water hose around. Spring has officially arrived in my yard. Saw the first snake.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Lol that looks like the peak of summer here. Nice pics, what kind of spider is that?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

That's a cute spider.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I just know it’s a jumping spider. I just know a few of them. Should probably look into this if I ever get done telling my weeds apart. Speaking of weeds, you seedlings are growing like them, Jay! They look great! Probably want to get out of there.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have to start repotting some on Saturday. I started everthing too early except the Calotropis. That does need a lot of time. Well, it's my first time doing it. I thought the Tweedia might be difficult, but it's ready to go outside. I saw these luxuriant bleeding hearts at Wallmart and I thought they were the native Dicentra eximia. There wasn't a species name on the package, but I thought what else could it be, but the native. It is native, to the west coast. It' Lamprocapnos formosa. I thought about it and I'm getting my money back and buying plants of the native one that grows around here. What's so difficult about putting the species name on the package? It's so that people like me who don't know better will buy then lol. And I thought I was getting a bargain. It's like there's an evil force trying to shove non native plants down everyone's throats!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It would be nice if there would be a name. Houseplants are even worse with the labeling. The lowest temperature in the next 10 days is 47, so I think I am going to move my seedling to the porch to get used to some fresh air. I was at Lowe’s Tuesday to get some soil. Even strolled along the plants and didn’t buy a single one. How is that for willpower?

javiwa

Gosh, Jay -- such healthy seedlings! I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go ahead and move my milkweeds into the ground -- they're still so small. It got so hot and muggy here all of a sudden.

Iris: I applaud your will power, but it's only the first week of April. ;)

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, most of the plants I see at those places I don't want to buy anyway. I shouldn't even have looked at Wallmart. I'm seeing less natives in the stores, not more.

Phidippus audax, the daring or bold jumping spider! "Go ahead dare me!" :)

Javi, I might have to unload a few Gomphocarpus on you. They're getting big too fast. I will be ready for the Monarchs, and all the others too!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thanks for the spider ID, Jay! I love jumping spiders. Such character. Lowe’s does occasionally have some plants I like. They did have Joe Pye weed two years ago. And I got one of my sweet bay magnolias and some oaks from their sales. The sweetbay magnolia was in a huge pot. Marked down 75 percent, so I paid 15 dollars for it. There was nothing wrong with it. Edited to say that this time around they had tables of hostas, some columbine (but most of the double kind), African daisy, and starting at petunias. There was some garlic that looked interesting, but I had no idea about it.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Our local native plant sale is May 17. They don't have the plant list yet. The junior college down the road has a greenhouse and they have a spring plant sale too. Then there's the Illinois Native Plant Society plant sale. I want to check that one out because I've never been to that one before. I'm going more just to look. I should get the final few plants from the local native sale. I think I want to try the native honeysuckle bush. It will be nice growing the native instead of the invasive ones.

Diervilla dwarf bush Lonicera..

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=DILO

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I never bought any plants from homedepot or lowes, they are almost unlabeled, mislabeled, or something vague like "Holly", "Spirea", "Knockout rose". Rarely anything native. I almost bought some Liatris last year but reminded myself I didnt really need it.

I want to get the native Lonicera sempervirens too. If my Aristolochia doesnt germinate and grow ill get one of those at the native plant sales too. My american holly cuttings came today, they are even smaller than I expected, like little tip cuttings. I will definitely have to grow these in containers for a few years before I feel comfortable planting them. Each one is not even a mouthful for a hungry deer.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

So many options for sales! I just sent that nursery another email. I know it’s a busy time and I don’t want to be annoying, but maybe I answered that math question wrong to prove I am not a robot and it didn’t get through. Just kidding, it was an easy one. If I don’t get an answer, I will just forget about the plant for now.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I have 3 sempervirens vines in the older garden. I think I have the other native pipevine species, tomentosa or something. I'm going to bring dug up rooted vines to the new place.

I have 3 sempervirens vines in the older garden. I'd like to get the L. reticulata either regular or Gintley's Ghost. I really to start growing and propogating the

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, their website is a joke. Why even be on the internet. Stuff like this always happens when you want something bad lol. Etsy and ebay make it very easy to order, to the point that I have to be real careful what I click!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, why don't you try calling them tomorrow. It can't hurt. How many days now about 3? Everything is on hold until I hear from Mountain Gardens. I'm going to write a check to Joe Hollis. Awesome!!! I was just looking at another nursery that also grows their plants in the ground and digs them out when ready to ship.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I don’t really think it’s a joke. It’s probably to show the physical customers what they have. Since it looks that’s what they are going for. Pine Ridge isn’t any less complicated to order from. Maybe it’s one of these family owned one, too.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What are you saying Iris? That you must prove to them how desperately you want their plants lol? I poured it on when I ordered from Mountain Gardens but I meant every single word of it! I'm confused. This Lamprocapnos formosa isn't supposed to exist. One strange thing is, it's not listed on bonap under Lamprocapnos, but the Chinese species spectabilis is. Then, when I look up Lamprocapnos on wikipedia it says that only spectabilis was moved into the new genus and is the sole member, BUT IT'S NOT! There's Lamprocapnos formosa, where did that come from. I may have to put an add on perennials, no I'll ask the name that plant people. It's weird, don't you think? And Wall Mart capitalises on, and adds to the confusion.

Lamprocapnos formosa, Papaveraceae, Runculales, U.S. Pacific coast, Missouri New York.

Lamprocapnos formosa.

Range of Lamprocapnos/ Dicentra formosa.

Dicentra eximia. Eastern U.S.

Dicentra eximia, Papaveraceae, Ranunculales.

Range of Dicentra eximia.

Lamprocapnos spectabilis, Papaveraceae, Ranunculales, China.

Lamprocapnos spectabilis.

Range of the non native Lamprocapnos spectabilis.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, no. Not at all. I am just saying I would like these kind of plants. Would it be possible to ship them to my state and how to handle the payment. Starting something about name changes might turn into a Hot Topic quickly. But might be fun. My wooly Pipevine is getting leaves. Yay, at least one of them is,

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

The formosa is listed on bonap under Dicentra. They must have changed its name after they changed spectabilis. They still use both names.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Another mystery. I have the wooly pipevine Aristolochia tomentosa, but it's not listed on bonap with all the other Aristolochia species. Why is that. I don't think serpentaria is either.

Aristolochia tomentosa, wooly pipevine.

It's a good thing that my pipevine isn't growing in a moist area or I'd never be able to get rid of it. I'm adding Serpentaria if all goes well. Part of my forest floor.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=arto3

Aristolochia macrophylla.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=arma7

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

That pipevine is crazy looking. They moved Aristolochia macrophylla and tomentosa over to Isotrema. Dont know about the serpentaria, thats not under Isotrema either.

I just finished sifting and mixing up some potting mix, then put the Ilex opaca cuttings in there for now until I can get some individual containers to put them in. US Forest service says the average field grown tree takes 10 years to reach 6ft tall in one of the carolinas I dont remember which. Hoping with good aerated and fertilized container culture they grow faster.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

People around here don't grow holly trees. You start to see them in Southern Illinois. Where are you planning to grow those trees Skip? I can't grow trees, but I can grow spicebushes. The macrophylla was still listed under Aristolochia a couple hours ago lol. The serpentaria mystery. I'm sure it exist because I'm growing it and have seen actual pictures. If it comes down to it I'll ask them at the botanical gardens.

Holly Sallow Moth

Holly Sallow Moth

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I looked up Aristolochia serpentaria and the only species synonym was Endodeca, so I looked and it was the only species on bonap listed under Endodeca.

Endodeca serpentaria var. serpentaria.

Endodeca serpentaria var. hastata.

I don't know which variation my plants will be if the seeds germinate.

It used to be so easy when they were all called Aristolochia! I hope they stop changing any more!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Floerkia prosperpinacoides, Limnanthaceae, Brassicales false mermaid's weed. A little plant that probably goes unnoticed most of the time.

Floerkea prosperpinacoides.

https://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/fs_mermaid.htm

It seems to be flourishing in my area, though I don't recall ever seeing it. I must try to do a few plant search hikes.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I would still call that nursery and talk to them in person Iris. I remember how bad I wanted the Stenanthium when I first saw it. Plant Delights bugged me again, and I told them their shipping charges were outrageous. It's too bad because they have some nice plants. I'd probably bite the bullet for the Asclepias amplexicaulis though lol.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

American holly grows wild in woods and roadsides, and is planted in yards all over here. It makes a nice understory tree. They take on a more open horizontal branch structure in the shade. I dont have room for this many hollies either but I want to plant some at the back of the lot. Im planning to thin out the osage orange and remove as many black locusts as I can afford eventually, replacing with these hollies and other trees.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Osage orange is a valuable wood. Not native to the north.

https://www.woodworkingnetwork.com/wood/wood-month/osage-orange-almost-too-pretty-be-put-use

I think my shady area with the weed trees is similar to the area you're trying to clear. It looks like I have a black walnut in there too. No Japanese honeysuckles or oriental bittersweets though, or stiltgrass, or mile a minute vines, did I leave anything out?

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

You forgot the garlic mustard and multiflora rose lol. I havent conclusively IDed the big woody vine yet it might not be asian bittersweet. I will leave most of the osage orange, just prune all the crossing, dead, and badly overhanging branches.

Pinelands nursery got back to me, theyre going to send me a quote for 5 spicebush, 3 pussy willows and a sweet birch. Caterpillar heaven!

javiwa

Jay: I'm hoping the A. elegans I brought home last fall will attract some pipe vine swallowtails so I can share some pics, too. :) So thrilled it's coming back.

(For scale, that's a 4x4 post in the lower left.)

Here's the potted pink incarnata that succumbed to rust late last fall; it never did bloom. Not sure why the leaves are so yellowy and speckled. Thoughts, anyone?

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Javi, I've been using micorrhizal fungi on my milkweeds and it's made a world of difference. It would help your incarnatas immensely!

https://www.mpgranch.com/dispatches/milkweed-fungal-perspective

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2015/10/fungi-can-help-monarchs-self-medicate

https://entomologytoday.org/2015/10/14/root-fungi-on-milkweed-plants-affect-monarch-butterfly-health/
Aristolochia elegans

Aristolochia elegans

Aristolochia elegans

Aristolochia elegans

Asclepias incarnata 'pulchra'. A subspecies of A. incarnata.

Asclepias incarnata 'pulchra'.

Asclepias incarnata ' pulchra'.

Asclepias incarnata ' pulchra'.

I am a robot lol!.

God save the Queen!

Plant delights already knows how to push my buttons but this is way too expensive. It might take years to get soil rich enough to grow these!

1 Like Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yo, yeah, I'll be in strict butterfly gardener mode just as soon as I have some plants for cats to eat! We all have lots of new host plants. :-) It will be an auspicious day if my Black Swallowtail crysalis from last year hatches!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, at least you don't have burdock and nightshades or do you? I decided to let a few pokeweeds grow. They are native, and maybe I'll luck out like Iris and get army worms on mine lol. I think if Iris had plastic flowers even some kind of cats would eat them too lol.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha, Jay. At least you guys know what kind of milkweed you have where. I looked at my flower bed in the back earlier. There is a lot of milkweed popping up that looks suspiciously common. I did not plant any back there since it is running amok in the front. Going to have to take some pictures to compare them. The whorled one is all over the place back there, too. But at least that one is small and harmless looking.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Iris, do your hairy balls milkweeds come up on their own or do you plant new ones every year?

Skip, did you have to do some talking to get trees from that wholesale nursery? How far is it from your house? My syriaca volunteers should be happier with all the landscape fabric removed. I should take pictures. The roots from the juneberry traveled about 20 feet underneath the fabric. There are a lot of robins around here, but the worms will have a happier life too. I've had to rethink my yard conversion. I'll trim the slated hedges way low and then add a bunch of plants all around them. When the attention gets shifted the shrubs will magically dissapear! I'll plead permission to remove the front shrubs once I have the beautiful native replacements right here for the viewing. Who wouldn't want shrubs whose flowers attract butterflies and hummingbirds? Maybe a honeysuckle reticulata would be better than the Clematis virginiana from a hummer point of view? I want the Diervillas all over the place. The backyard bed will begin with the planting of the Smilax, which is now the perfect size after growing for a few years. That would be hilarious if those lonely 2 common milkweed workhorses all of a sudden looked like Iris's healthy patch now that I took the fabric out lol!

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I do have burdoch.

I like the huge leaves, I cut off the flowering stalk every weekend last year so it didnt go to seed then eventually started mowing it. I have a pokeweed forest too, thats going to be impossible to get fully under control.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Yeah there is a 3rd party retail vendor that has a contract with them, called Pinelands Direct. He didnt have the sweet birch, spicebush or pussy willow on his website, but I emailed him and he is going to get them for me. He said he can order whatever they have, so I might ask him to get me a bulk seed mix next year. Theyre located 40min/26miles away from my house. Although he said they wont have the spicebush until august.

A closer nursery has the spicebush in 3gallon size for $24.99 maybe I'll go with them.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I did a good job eradicating my burdocks but there's still probably millions of seeds in the soil seed bank. You csn always grow rhubarb. I never really understood why people would use up so much garden space to grow something just to use for pies once a year. Don't get me wrong, I love rhubarb and rhubarb and strawberry pies. I'm growing this edible bloody dock for salads but I'll let the caterpillars it all of it if they want. I share!

Hey, it's the bloody dock! Rumex sanguineus.

1 Like Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I usually have some volunteers popping up, but if I don’t see any by May I order some starter plants. Can’t wait to see some pictures. Not sure landscape fabric can stop common milkweed. Mine is coming up between the stones on the walkway again.

Skip, I am surprised your post with the willow went through without a problem. I mentioned this one in a post in the butterfly forum and it didn’t show up. Javi suggested it was probably censored because of the name. Sure enough it showed up a day or two later. I planted a tiny one last Fall. I did have one before, but it died and was not the native kind in the first place. The other willow I planted a year and a half ago has grown a lot. It did have cool caterpillars last Summer.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, I'm not familiar with Betula lenta around here. Mostly river birches are grown around here. Some people try to grow the white, paper birches, but they don't do good around here. My family always went to northern Wisconsin for vacations when I was a kid and there were a lot of beautiful paper birches up there. I don't know specifically if anyone is growing sweet birch around town. There were some unusual looking birch type trees planted by a marine recruitment building that I'd never seen before. There is a native dwarf river birch that I tried growing once. I lost interest in it. Having a small garden can cause you to make hasty decisions! Don't want anything crowding my specimens! haha

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What post about the willow? I missed something and I can't find it. 3 gallon spicebush sounds real nice! They can't cut though the fabric, but there might be miles of meandering roots underneath it waiting to be liberated! The syriacas at the old garden travelled right underneath the flagstone path. No worries Skip. They're tenacious!

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Betula caerulea.

Betula caerulea

http://www.tree-guide.com/blue-birch

Betula populifolia

Betula populifolia.

https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-plant-descriptions/gray-birch

Betula pumila, bog birch.

Betula pumila.

Betula aleghaniensis.

Betula aleghaniensis.

Betula aleghaniensis.

https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-plant-descriptions/yellow-birch

Betula × sanbergii. A hybrid between B. papyrifera and B. pulila. Sandberg's birch.

Betula sandbergii.

Betula sandbergii.

https://plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=BESA

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I didnt know they censored words on this website. I got the Salix discolor because I think it will be able to grow in the area that temporarily fills with water during the winter.

People typically plant river birch, gray birch or paper birch here too, as lawn and landscape trees. Ill plant this back in the woodsy area where it will look at home. It does have nice yellow fall color.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Skip, what happened then? Did those comments dissapear or just the words? That's so stupid. The people who run houzz have dirty minds!!!

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I didn’t know before that either. That’s the kind of location I planted mine. Had to replant it twice this winter since it got washed out. It’s just about 12 inches tall though. There is a river birch at the edge of our property. Not sure if something is wrong with it or if it is normal it’s constantly breaking big branches.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, the comment I was talking about just didn’t post at all. I guess there are filters for certain words. They probably had to review the post and then it appeared.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Which birch did you plant Iris?

My Antennaria plantaginifolia survived the winter, and is expanding!

javiwa

At least you guys know what kind of milkweed you have where. -- I'll let you know in a couple of months how accurate my sorting and labelling were, Iris. ;)

OK, embarrassingly mea culpa time over here: have been wondering out loud why my milkweed seedlings, though germinated a month prior to Jay's, I think, were growing so slowly. I took a soil temp reading (they're all in yogurt cups right now): mid- to upper 80s. :/ Bad, bad, bad javiwa!!! I need to get these in the ground this weekend. Ugh.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I didn’t plant the river birch, it just showed up. As for willow I planted the nigra and the discolor.

Yay for your Antennaria! More caterpillar food. My Pipevine doesn’t look anything yet like the pictures Jay posted. Still well behaved. But it did reach the top of the fence.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yeah, I went on facebook to join the milkweed group and when I commented it had to be reviewed first. The milkweed group was a joke. Facebook is a joke! I deleted it. There's aways somebody who wants to be the alpha milkweed male, and there can only be one lol!

2 Likes Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I don't have the Antennaria plantaginifolia but I want it. Thet had Antennaria solitaria on name that plant. It's a tiny plant. What kind of birches are you growing Iris? We might get snow next week. This is so typical, this weekend almost hitting 70 directly followed by snow. I could never get those pretty, hardy variegated kiwis to fruit because of our cold spells. My 14 Trillium erectums and 12 Lillium superbums came today. I got the ok to move the Viburnums. That's a good sign. I'm very intetested in seeing where you are planning on planting all these trees Skip?

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Wow, Javi, that’s pretty warm. Comparing my certain common milkweed to the ones I saw today, it definetly looks like it. I am a bit uncertain about these. They kind of grow in a line like they are connected by rhizomes. They look like milkweed to me, but the leaves are narrower and the color is different than the common.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I see room for more trees back here, especially if I get rid of the 3 black locusts in the middle and prune the osage orange branches that are curving over. If I go to the woods nearby, Id see like 50 trees in an area this size, all spaced pretty close together. You also have to remember the trees are going to take like 15 years to start looking crowded.

Here's a different view. Basically all that space beyond the trees in the center, inside the fence, there is room for shrubs and herbaceous plants. On the other side of the fence, it can be more trees and more wooded (eventually). Also, that 2-trunked black locust on the left needs to go! Its all rotted on the back.

Yes! Lots of room for Viburnums and Elderberry racemosa(the non-suckering kind).

All of your talk about sproutings and leafing makes me envious. Snow melt is going to complete in a just a few more days. Yeah.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Yikes. I just checked and it looks like I am expecting 3 plant orders next week! I thought I had spaced it out a bit better. Now where am I going to stick my Wahoo?!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Dandy, are there 2 different types of Aralia racemosa? Suckering and non suckering? I think I need both. I need a sharp shovel to cut off all the juneberry suckers close to the shrub. They have grown into the landscape fabric and it's so impossible to remove I'll need an electric saw. I keep creating new planting spaces by doing this. The juneberry is surrounded by decorative concrete blocks and the fabric runs underneath them so I have to move the rocks. I don't think I'm putting them back. It feels like I'm terraforming a planet. I'm going to collect more woodland soil tomorrow and plant my native lilies. Maybe bring over a few plants from the other place. Salvia lyrata, Golen Alexanders, Penstemon hirsuta, some Aquilegia canadensis or Maianthemum if they've emerged. And Sisyrinchium.

Skip, I understand what you're doing with the trees. It's going to look so much better when you're done! I'd love to come and help you plant all those new species Iris, too bad you're so far! My sights are now set on that row of lilacs.....which if memory serves me right are NOT NATIVE!

Apocynum cannibinum. The plant that looks like Asclepias syriaca could be a dogbane, but I'm thinking you would have noticed it last year, but maybe not lol. If I only had an industrial grade wood chipper, life would be so much easier!

Dandy, I can send you a few Stylophorum plants and Mertensia if you want some. I need to dig out a mulberry thats near some plants, and when I do they will be lifted out too. The Mertensia hasn't shown yet. I'll be getting rid of any remaining hostas over time, but I might try eating the young shoots this year. They eat them in Japan and they like eating newly emerging Aralia foliage too.

Save    
Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Time to stock up on T-posts and poultry netting Iris! I saw them do this at the wildflower preserve with certain shrubs: 3 posts in a triangle around each plant with netting as the fencing material. I think tractor supply was having a sale on 5 or 6ft posts actually.

Jay just remember India's Forest Man during your planting. https://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/12/26/572421590/hed-take-his-own-life-before-killing-a-tree-meet-india-s-forest-man

You are confusing Aralia racemosa and Sambucus racemosa too Jay

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I guess another trip to Lowe’s for some sort of protection is in order. Seems some of my shrubs will never make it to the stage of cage free. The deer nibble off whatever makes it out of them.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

My bad. So what is suckering? Viburnums? Sambucus? Aralia? I think the A. spinosa suckers, but not the racemosa. Maybe suckering isn't as much s problem if you stay on top of keeping them under control from the start. The juneberry here has decades of suckers all tangled up. I could make a corral in the back to store the leaves in the fall.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Jay, the deer leave you enough hostas to eat? Seems to be a favorite for them.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

They don't bother the hostas in the spring. I'll let you know how they taste. There is the chance that all these new plants I'm adding will draw them in. I suppose I should kind of try to get rid of all the Commelina cummunis around here since I'm growing 2 native Commelinas and I don't want any crosspollinating.

Commelina dianthifolia, Commelinaceae, Commelinales, birdbill dayflower.

https://www.swcoloradowildflowers.com/Blue%20Purple%20Enlarged%20Photo%20Pages/commelina%20dianthifolia.htm

Commelina virginica, Commelinaceae, Commeliales, Virginia dayflower.

https://www.wildflower.org/plants/result.php?id_plant=COVI3

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Mm

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I was thinking about India's forest man while I was outside. I will try to get up every day at the crack of dawn. We'll see how that goes lol.

https://youtu.be/U1jtd3MrFQM

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

They are calling the native plant sale the Bringing Nature Home plant sale. The big state sale is the same week. It sounds good. Lots of milkweed species. But are they the right ones?

https://www.reconnectwithnature.org/news-events/event-calendar/spring-2019/bringing-nature-home-native-plant-sale

I need to call the native nursery here. They have a page for Calycanthus but nowhere to order it. Do you think it's better to grow the straight native species instead of the cultivars like Aphrodite? I could replace the privets with 2 Ceanothus americanus and the 2 spireas with the Diervilla lonicera. So I need 1 Aronia melanocarpa, 1 Prunus virginiana, 3 Diervilla lonicera, 2 Lindera benzoin, 1 Lonicera reticulata. I want 1 Diervilla in the back too. Might order 2 more Aralia spinosas for screening different areas. And then I plant all the winter sown plants around all of these.

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

https://youtu.be/WyMda3-sSOA

Erigenia bulbosa, Erigenieae, Apiaceae, Apiales, harbinger of spring, pepper and salt.

Erigenia bulbosa.

Erigenia bulbosa.

The Illinois Native Plant Society calls their magazine the harbinger, so I'm assuming this plant Erigenia bulbosa is very rare and difficult to get seeds and plants of. So I guess if anyone would know how to locate a source it would probably be someone in the Illinois Native Plant Society. It doesn't want to grow by some of you for whatever reasons lol. I just discovered this species, it's been off my radar til now.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/woodland/plants/harbinger.htm

Houstonia caerulea, Rubiaceae, Gentianales, quaker ladies.

http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/prairie/plantx/quaker_ladies.htm

Save    
Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Has anyone else heard about this website called Garden Watchdog, that gives reviews for thousands of mail order plant companies?

https://davesgarden.com/products/gwd/

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I have. Not really good at checking before ordering though. Last time I looked there, it was after the fact of having the worst experience ever ordering some plants last year. Should have checked before.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I saw some nurseries I didn't know about. Probably not a good thing. You'll have to tell me that story sometime.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I would rather forget about it. I ordered in March to get the plants in the beginning of April. Wanted to cancel the order end of April since I didn’t get the plants. They said it’s not possible, since their “digger” already had my order. The plants came in the middle of June when it was hot. Bare root in ziplock bags without any sort of soil, paper towels or anything. Some smelled like hot compost. Still put them in pots. The few that did survive didn’t look anything like the plants I ordered. It took the credit card company to get it sorted out. I still have some shrub looking one in a pot that is alive. Now that it is getting leaves I have to figure out what it is.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

What place was it? That does sound terrible. Maybe that pepper and salt plant will show up in your yard.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

It was a wholesale nursery in Tennessee. Seems they have been using a few different names. That’s why I asked you if you have ordered before from the nursery you mentioned a few days ago. Suspicious of nurseries from Tennessee now. Sorry Tennessee!

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I ordered my holly cuttings from Boyd in TN, but yes the Tennessee wholesale nursery Co seems shady.

I started looking up which Trilliums grow here in my county, thankfully its a short list! Just Trillium cernuum. Trillium erectum is nearby.

I got seeds for that Houstonia but I wouldnt be surprised if they are difficult to germinate. Ill try the fridge method at some point.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I got some Lilium superbum and Trillium erectum bulbs from bluffview nursery in Tenn. I think there was a Native Wildflower Nursery in Tenn. too. I was going to plant the bulbs this afternoon. Pulling out all that fabric is exhausting! About 4 hostas came out. They were growing on top of the fabric. Saves me work removing them later. They will help the leaves break down faster. It's going to almost hit 70 today and the next 3 days. I wonder if any seeds will germinate.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well, hopefully it was a lesson learned. Now watch my lonely seedling turn out to be something else. I don’t know what my surviving shrub is, but it certainly isn’t a spicebush. It’s a tough one. It arrived here dead looking in a box without even a bag. Looked dead until a few weeks ago when I noticed some buds. It’s going to have to stay in the pot until I know what it is and if it is safe to have in the garden.

my tent caterpillars sure have grown a lot!

Jay-Sambucus racemosa does not sucker up like the canadensis does. It stays as a shrub with new stems coming off the main stem every year. It is my bird goto plant.

The Aralia racemosa is deciduous and has a large fleshy octopus like root. It looks like it could make a good meal if eaten. It's just phenomenal in shady areas with small red berries in September.

I don't think thee Diervilla will ever become a hedge. Too small and doesn't seem to clump very much to make a dense display. Maybe NJ Tea and St Johns Wart might be good. Or Ninebark makes a bushy plant too.

For shady areas, look up Loess Roots in Nebraska. I got some really nice Mayapple from Rod and other things at really good prices.

http://www.landscapingrevolution.com/Loess_Roots/loess_roots.html

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

Grabbed some inspiration pics from the park less than 2 miles down the road

Same sunlight exposure as my backyard:

American Hollies in the understory:

Tree density:

theres a field on the other side of these trees

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

The Kollar Nursery? Nope. They are not on that watchdog list. I checked.....

Do you think there is enough of that shrub for an ID? I really hope it’s something non invasive. Seems it’s a little fighter, so I am kind of rooting for it.

Oh no, so sorry about your foot! That hurts. Got a plant for that? Just kind of kidding. With our never ending floor replacement project, we really have a mess. I hurt my little toe running into something in the dark. Was seriously considering my boneset. My husband texted me some really jungle looking pictures. He is in the south of China. Could probably find your medicinal herbs In the mess of it.

Skip1909(7a New Jersey)

I have that root slayer shovel, its pretty awesome. Easily cuts through roots less than 2". For bigger ones I hit them with a mattock and finish them off with the root slayer.

Hope your foot isnt injured too seriously!

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

Yes, I think there is enough plant there to get an ID and the leaves look very distinctive. Kind of pretty. My Tweedias have flower buds. They are still little. The pink flowered species isn't so far along. They seem to be doing well. I was wondering if this root slayer shovel would help me remove all the suckers from the juneberry.

Space, the final frontier.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

I will take some more pictures tomorrow and try. Should get thunderstorms here. Well, seems this root slayer works for Skip. I bought something like it for my brother in law once based on reviews, but never heard if it worked well for him.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

It's settled I'm getting a root slayer. I had fun with the mattock when I was killing the royal empress tree roots. I'm removing the fabric on the east side of the house. The ferns are there and I want that to be another area with a lot of spring blooming woodland wildflowers and ephemerals. These plants are all getting ready to pop up so now is a good time to transplant them. Once the soil starts getting rich and humousy I can start adding more native ferns and woodland plants. I'd like to cut a couple limbs off the cottonwood which will add s little more sun to this east side.

Oxypetalum solanoides/Tweedia solanoides, Asclepiadoideae, Apocynaceae, Gentianales.

Oxypetalum coerulea/Tweedia caerulea, Asclepiadoideae, Apocynaceae, Gentianales.

Trillium erectum, Melanthiaceae, Liliales, red Trillium.

Lilium superbum, Liliaceae, Liliales.

Stenanthium gramineum, Melanthieae, Melanrhiaceae, Liliales, Eastern featherbells.

Save    
Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Ha ha. Are you trying to rub in the Stenanthium gramineum since I still didn’t hear from that nursery? Should be getting more than enough plants next week to keep me busy. Just need to figure out where to plant them. Hope it isn’t getting too muddy. There are a lot of rainy days coming.

Jay 6a Chicago(5b/6a)

I planted my 3 Stenanthium bulbs in the front yard last fall. I hope they are ok. Nothing's popping up in that area yet

They are on my mind for that reason too. The milkweed beetles must have hibernated in my garden. There were huge swarms of them today. I usually never see them before I see any milkweeds. I will have to keep the common milkweeds in the front somewhat under control so they don't take over. They will be easier to root prune now that the fabric is gone.