SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susan_rauch

Who to hire for remodel project, and tips on hiring

Susan Rauch
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hello. I'm hoping I can get some advice. I've tried googling my way through this but I'm just not getting anywhere.

We are planning to move in about three years. Our house has had very little updating in the twenty years we have been here. Sold in current condition, I could expect to sell it for around 900K but I believe with $50 to $100k in updates, market value would be closer to 1,150,000, so I think it will definitely be worth my time and effort to do the updates.

I have found an excellent contractor (I hope) but I need a person who can tell me what to do in terms of design. I have absolutely no talent in this regard, and I need someone who can advise me on the following: flooring in entire house, kitchen counter replacement, back splash and cabinet refreshing, some updating to bathrooms, garage door replacement, outside deck, painting, lighting, and various other cosmetic issues. There won't be any "structural" remodeling like changing rooms around, new bathrooms, or such.

Basically I want someone who will do an entire game plan for me in terms of updating the house, and perhaps be available for questions that come up, but not do any or contract any of the work themselves or even the purchasing or installing.

Are there people who do this type of work? And what are they called? What is a rough idea about how much this would cost (house is 3500 SF & I'm i Southern California, so usually that means everything costs more ughhhhh.) Is Houzz a good place to find someone like this, or are there any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help.

Comments (3)

• smiles33
    5 years ago

Did you ask your contractor if s/he has leads on a good designer? I think a good designer can pull up flooring, paint color, counter, and other cosmetic choices.

You might also consult a real estate agent who's very experienced with your market to make sure you are catering to your local market. For instance, when we were getting ready to sell our prior home, our agent told us we had to replace the 1990s tile counter (with brown grout!) and the carpeting in order to effectively compete with the other houses for sale. She had a contractor for us but we had to run around town finding the right granite color and flooring. I wish we had just delegated it to a designer but we were on a tight budget and short timeline.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You need an Interior Designer. Look at the local ASID or IDS websites, or Houzz. Expect to pay about 10% of the project costs if you can make decisions easily. If you can't, and need to spend a lot of time revising your decisions, expect to be converted to hourly, and pay more than 10%.