Cornish Hens and Birthday Yens

moonwolf_gw

Hi everyone,

Dinner tonight will be something I've never had before (making one each for my nephew and myself): cornish hens. They look and sound simple to cook. I'll season them with lemon pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and dried rosemary (bought a container, actually a rosemary grinder, of it at Wal-Mart). I also plant to halve a small onion and stick it in the cavities of each. That is, if they get thawed in time. If not, there's always tomorrow.

Turning the big 2-9 on Wednesday. I should be excited, but not this year for some reason. Hoping that the day is merry (although we may be cleaning out gram's apartment again that day, or Thursday, depends on what mum wants to do). I think she's getting me my DQ ice cream cake (all vanilla, of course).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

SaveComment27Like
Comments (27)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sushipup1

Happy Birthday!

I love Cornish game hens. Jim will baste them with vodka to get an extra crispy skin. Hope yours are delicious!

1 Like Save    
cooper8828

Happy birthday! And your meal sounds delicious.

1 Like Save    
yeonassky

Happy birthday.

The meal sounds delectable.

I hope your mood lightens. Try to remember to do the things that usually make you happy even when you're feeling down. It might help. Take care

1 Like Save    
chloebud

Love Cornish hens. Been awhile since I've bought any. Happy Birthday and thanks for reminding me to roast some Cornish hens again!

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

I haven’t made Cornish hens in years. It’s now on my to-do list. Hope yours turn out great. Happy birthday in advance! You’re like my daughter, ice cream cake has to be all vanilla.

Sushi - basting with vodka to promote crispy skin? That’s a new one to me. Not finding anything about that online. Half wondering if you caught Jim with an open bottle and that was his quick excuse. Just kidding. ;)

1 Like Save    
sushipup1

No, his uncle prepared them that way for as long as I can recall, 40 years ago. I'll ask Jim for details. It's his dish, not mine.

Save    
sushipup1

I asked and all he said is to brush the skin with vodka and it will help dry it and crisp it. I can only attest to the fact that it's good.

Save    
annie1992

Happy Birthday on Wednesday, Brad. Your Cornish hens sound delicious and I'm sure your nephew is going to enjoy them.

I'm another "plain vanilla" person, and I have a son in law who LOVES the Dairy Queen cakes. Unfortunately, our Dairy Queen closed last year and the closest one is now 60+ miles away, too far to bring a cake home. So, I've been working on just making a copy-cat version myself. We'll see how I do!

Annie

1 Like Save    
bragu_DSM 5

hmmm... a Cornish hen-shaped ice cream birthday cake ...

wonder if it will taste like ... chicken

1 Like Save    
Sooz

Happy birthday, Brad!!!! I hope things lighten up for you...

Cornish game hens really are simple to cook and they way you're seasoning them sounds delicious.

In fact, they are so simple that DH started making them TOO often when it was his turn to cook (he cooks dinner twice a week) so I had to rein him in about that! I was inundated with them by DH, so I had to rein him in and now, maybe once every 20+ years is good for me. LOL

Smiles, and bestest best birthday wishes!

Sooz

1 Like Save    
moonwolf_gw

Well, here they are cooking in the oven.

Meanwhile, I had a fun day out with two of my theatre family members. We went to various used furniture/antique/secondhand stores (first stop was a salvage yard), to find some materials for the theatre (crown molding was the big find today). I saw a spinning wheel at the last stop I wanted, but it was missing a lot of parts and there was no price tag. Our last stop was to get ice cream at a local dairy. They got cones (with HUGE scoops), and I had a very delicious strawberry milkshake. Lunch was KFC, which I haven't had in a long time (and ours in town has been replaced by Taco Bell).

Tomorrow's the big day. Mum has the decorations and balloons up. Today was a win. Tomorrow will be, too. :) I thank you all for the early birthday wishes and kind words. :)

I'll let you know how these hens turned out. They sure smell good in the oven right now.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Save    
moonwolf_gw

It's going back in the oven. Meat thermometer's reading 150. It also looks like this. :/ This is at the leg/thigh.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

1 Like Save    
moonwolf_gw

They turned out okay! Getting ready to eat now! :)

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Save    
chloebud

Yes...definitely not done yet, but I bet you're in for some tasty little hens!

Save    
moonwolf_gw

They only needed a few more minutes, and they turned out okay :). I'm eating my onion that's inside of it, too (it's piping hot, and helps with the meat).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Save    
moonwolf_gw

The result. This was one meaty hen! My nephew will have extra white meat to go along with his when he comes over again tomorrow or the day after.

I also had waffle cut fries from the deep fryer (Wal-Mart frozen ones) to go with it. Not a bad pairing.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

1 Like Save    
2ManyDiversions

Happy (and belated) Birthday Brad - sorry to be so late! Love cornish hens - and cooked like you made them too : ) They don't need to be fussy to be delicious. I am very envious of your strawberry milkshake - last time I had a good shake from homemade icecream it was... strawberry! Yum! Have a great day : )

1 Like Save    
artemis_ma

Happy B day, Brad. I'm also a fan of Cornish game hens too.

1 Like Save     Thanked by moonwolf_gw
annie1992

Brad, I love cooked onions, so I'd have eaten the onion from the cavity of the bird too. When the girls were young I made shish kebob with beef, onion, mushroom and peppers. The girls ate the meat, the mushrooms, even the peppers, but all the onions were mine, all mine. Fine with me!

I'm glad your day was good and that your birthday went well.

Annie

Save    
moonwolf_gw

2ManyDiversions, you're not late at all. Today was the big day and it was wonderful! :)

I did get my ice cream cake, but we'll have to wait until tomorrow to eat it (and I'll have to blow out the candles then, too). I spent the afternoon and evening with my friends on the farm. It was a beautiful day (and a gorgeous night sky outside, too).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Save    
Compumom11

Best Birthday Wishes Brad! It sounds like a warm and tasty birthday! Glad it all worked out nicely for you.

1 Like Save    
moonwolf_gw

Dig in y'all! Mother picked out the colors. I do like the orange. The white and yellow together reminds me of deviled eggs LOL.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

3 Likes Save    
lindac92

Happy Birthday, Brad....the cake looks wonderful as did the hens! I like to put a chunk of apple in mine along with the onion. Haven't had a cornish hen in years....used to be a frequent meal....my little kids loved the tiny chickens.

1 Like Save    
foodonastump

Happy Birthday Cake Day, Brad! They’re usually blue, aren’t they? Good to mix things up. ;) Sounds like you had a nice couple days; good to hear!

1 Like Save    
ci_lantro

Love Cornish hens. Used to have them quite often but not much anymore. Going to put them on the grocery list.

1 Like Save    
Islay Corbel

Happy belated birthday to you, Brad!

I had to Google cornish game hen. I think it's what we have as a chicken in Europe lol! Your cake looked wonderful too.

1 Like Save    
moonwolf_gw

It turned out rather well. Was scared that I undercooked them at first, so I put them back in for five minutes or so. They were delicious. Recipe was one adapted from YouTube. Just butter, herbs and seasonings, and the halved onion was my own choice. They were a tight squeeze, but I got them in there. Personally, they could have used more flavor, but oh my, they were so easy to do! Now, I want to do a whole roast chicken for some company at some point (but I never get company lol).

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Save    
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More
Step into a Ferguson Showroom and you'll be surrounded by the latest styles in kitchen, bath and lighting design... Read More