SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
originalpinkmountain

Dining room refresh phase 2: wallpaper and mission creep

l pinkmountain
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

For phase 1 I have definitely decided on going with wood veneer flooring, hopefully matching the parlor floor as closely as possible. I want the two rooms to feel connected and so far they do pretty well.

Next up is wallpaper. My DH does not like to install wallpaper but out of his great love for me and goodness of his heart, he will help me do it if that's what I really want. It's what I really want, fake grasscloth wallpaper. I grew up with the real stuff in our living room. Real grasscloth does not suit our lifestyle, but I love the look and the fake stuff will be perfect. Here's my dilemma. Our house has curved corners on all the walls. Here's a couple of photos showing it. I'm worried that the flat edge of the wallpaper will get dinged and peel, particularly along the doorway between the kitchen and dining room, which we use constantly. They make clear plastic guards, but I don't know if they will work with the round corners on the walls and I don't love that look either. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has experience with this type of wallpaper.

As for mission creep, hubs suggested we could trim out the room with crown molding, but I'm not sure how that would look with just this room done. It would cover a multitude of sins where the ceiling and wall are cracking where they meet. Just not sure how it would look with this room being open to the parlor, and it not having crown molding. Also, I was sort of planning on doing picture rail in the dining room, although that might not be necessary. Not sure how that would look with crown molding. I think due to my constant changing out of my art, with wallpaper, having a picture rail might be a good idea.

Here is a photo of the two rooms, the dining room looking one way from the hallway between, and the parlor looking the other. (Note: 'Little Shop of Horrors" Audrey chandelier in DR is going!) Now I sort of want to do grasscloth in both rooms, but I think hubs would not be happy about that. Knowing where to stop would be tricky as the whole house is "open concept" except for the kitchen, so the front entrance flows along a hallway either right to the parlor or left to the family room. So it's hard to stop even painting a room, since they all flow into each other. For that reason alone I guess I have to stop at the dining room, and save the rest of the repaint for another day. I hate the builder's white, but it is flexible enough to not look totally bad. I need help figuring out if it is going to be OK to just bling up the dining room for now. It's getting to be stone soupish, because I'm afraid the parlor is going to look out of place now, and then next the family room . . .

Comment (1)