SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Being the driver for a colonoscopy patient is not fun

Oakley
5 years ago

Yesterday was my first experience in the world of colonoscopies, with me being the designated driver. DH is the one who got the instructions for his C so I'm wondering if there was a little tidbit of info he read and forgot to tell me, like how I couldn't leave AT ALL while he was having the procedure done.

It was at a top notch hospital with great staff all around, no complaints there. I knew I'd be there for a couple of hours and I had my Vera Bradley tote all packed with a book, my iPad, and regular purse stuff and planned to eat lunch in the cafeteria while he was having the procedure. I did take 3 cookies with me thank goodness.

Except I found out that drivers cannot leave. Fine. Except there was no coffee, no water, and no lunch spread. :) It was noon and I was starved. The procedure took longer because there was a possible heart problem and an EKG was done, then blood work taken and sent to the lab for results. Add on an extra hour. The procedure itself was only 30 min.

This is a nice hospital too, but the C. area was like branding cattle. The waiting room wasn't that big and it was crowded. The chairs were cushioned but hard and small. I carry a mouth spray for dry mouth and if I didn't it would have been bad.

The doctor said they do an average of 30 a day, with 60 a day on Th. and Fridays. My visual was hilarious.

When we came home we were both exhausted. Was my experience the norm?

Comments (50)