OT : New ways of doing old things.......
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (31)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
The WAY they used to do things! Rockwell's book..
Comments (10)You can find the F.F. Rockwell books in used book stores from time to time. Besides the rose book, there was a general gardening book, one on home vegetable gardens, one on bulbs, and one on rock gardens. I have the edition published in 1966, and it was one of the first rose books I ever read, from cover to cover, avidly. Hopelessly out of date now as to chemicals, but still full of useful general information, and with a surprising inclusion of a chapter on old roses. The formula recommended for a general regular spray were these: malathion methoxychlor Phaltan Benlate Karathane Except for Benlate, I think they may all still be available. What is different I think is today's philosophy of IPM, least toxic measures first, and not using insecticides unless you see a problem. Those among us who are organic gardeners find even that position too extreme. And yes, protective clothing by all means, at least a mask and long sleeves. Still, I have real affection for the pleasure and information this book has given to me. Not to mention that it is beautifully bound, an object of craftsmanship in itself. That is worth a lot of today's eye candy in my lights....See Moreway ot:!!! My New Grandson!
Comments (20)Oh Lords Kyle! LoL That's so funny, I couldn't help but laugh aloud on that. :) He's a butterball like my eldest! :P A cutie! Hope she is doing better, I never had one of those epidurals, refused to cuz I was scared of having anything stuck in my spine! Tell her to take it very VERY easy and not lift anything heavier than that baby. Keep us up to date Kyle. :) ~Tina...See MoreSlightly OT - Do I save the brick from old chimney for projects?
Comments (34)Thanks again, everyone -- especially for your ideas on how to clean the bricks! Here's what was left of the house during the last stages of demolition this weekend: ... and then the chimney came down! Now I have a nice pile of bricks to show for it... you should have seen me digging through the debris to salvage the good ones... everyone else thought I was nuts, so they only "helped" while I was looking! I had to leave with the kiddos for a few hours, and when I came back, a bunch had been thrown in the junk pile. Good thing the dumpster was full, so I could still pick them out of the junk heap before they get put into a new dumpster! There's still a lot of sections of brick left that didn't break apart -- too bad they're too heavy for me to manage (10 or 12 or more bricks still mortared together). Anyway, just wanted to keep you posted. On a side note, I noticed this flowering shrub at the demolition site (our new property) -- can you tell me what it is? So pretty! I get so excited when I see hope of new life at our to-be home! bloomin......See Moreway OT but have to share good news!!!!
Comments (11)Congratulations Gill. Grandkids are wonderful. Mine help me pick up leaves in the garden and in return I dig the sand forts at the beach. also, unlike your own children, when you have had enough you give them back. And-- they don't get root rot. Enjoy your trip. Congrats again. Bill...See More- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Stories

FEEL-GOOD HOMEThe Anti-To-Do List: 10 Things You Don’t Need to Be Doing
Aren’t you busy enough? Give yourself a break and consider letting these tasks go
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESDo Carry On: 4 Actually New Ways With Vintage Suitcases
Don't give old-time luggage the heave-ho just yet; these ideas for upcycling give the trend a second wind
Full Story
LATEST NEWS FOR PROFESSIONALS5 Things General Contractors Do to Generate New Business
Even if you don’t have time for marketing, there are ways to build your business’ future
Full Story
FURNITURE12 Ways to Use a Good Old Armoire
Add a Hutch for Instant Storage and Style in All Kinds of Places
Full Story
DIY PROJECTS17 Ways to Decorate With Everyday Things
Characters on the new Netflix series 'Orange Is the New Black' make the most of what they have. Here's how you can too
Full Story
LIFE10 Feel-Better Things to Do on a Sick Day at Home
Nourish, pamper and heal yourself when a cold keeps you housebound, with these restorative ideas
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDES5 Things to Splurge On — and 5 Ways to Save
Maximize style and your budget by focusing your decisions on areas that deliver the biggest impact
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESPractical New Uses for 23 Old Things
Junk? What junk? Those things cluttering up your storage space are home solutions waiting to happen
Full Story
SALVAGE12 Ways to Get in the Spirit of Old Stuff Day
Vintage heads into the limelight on March 2. What pieces could you cast in a different role?
Full Story
LIFE10 Ways to Boost Creativity by Doing Less
You heard right. Sometimes the best way to refill your creative well is by taking a step back
Full Story
Kath