SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_652198745

Help me save this 40 year old ficus benjamina!

Farby G
5 years ago

Hi everyone,

This tree was a gift to my mother on the day of my birth and so I'm very invested in its survival.

Short version:

The tree has been neglected. It is losing foliage and weakening gradually over the years. If the trend continues it will eventually die. What should I do? See photos below.

Full history:

The tree hasn't grown much in 35 years and has been potted up once, if at all, maybe 25 years ago so the soil quality is very low and the plant is completely root-bound. For the last few years I've been giving it 20-20-20 fertilizer in the spring and early summer which it seems to appreciate.

Lighting conditions for the last 6 years haven't been ideal: 2 hours direct sunlight in the winter, 4 hours in the summer. A few years ago, I tried putting it outside in the summer for more sunlight and by the next day it was completely infested with aphids. I treated it with insecticidal soap, brought it back inside and it barely survived.

I've noticed that every year, for a 2-3 month period in late winter / early spring, some leaves will turn yellow and drop and the tree will lose maybe 20% of its leaves. Then in summer some new leaves will grow, but not quite enough to make up for the loss. Oddly enough, it started producing fruit for the first time about 5 years ago despite looking weaker and weaker. Every year it now gives me 6-10 small green fruit :)

My concern is that over the last 6 to 8 years, new growth has slowed resulting in the tree becoming less and less bushy over the years. If the trend continues it'll be in trouble.

I know the tree needs a potting up at a minimum and that re-potting would probably be better long term. But it is weak and I'm concerned it might just drop all of it's leaves and die if I do anything drastic.

At the moment, the tree is almost done losing leaves and should start growing new ones soon. This is about as sparse as it's going to get this year.

I would be super grateful for your input if you have experience with these plants.

Farby

Montreal Canada

Comments (9)