SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heidibolden

Need Help w/ Ficus Benjamina that had Dead Middle Branches

Heidi B.
8 years ago

I have a 9 year old ficus benjamina that we repotted approx 5 months ago (in May 2015) because the leaves were yellowing and a few branches were dying just below the top of the tree. It hadn't been repotted in quite some time and we thought that maybe it was root bound. We checked for insects and pests, fungus, etc and didn't see anything of that nature. After repotting it in a slightly larger pot with Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix, we moved it outdoors onto our screened-in porch like we have done every summer (we live near Atlanta, GA). It's new pot does have a drain hole in the bottom and we placed crushed soda cans in the bottom before we filled it. Over the summer the remaining leaves recovered back to a healthy shade of green, however the dying branches below the top never sprouted any new growth. I waited all summer to see if any of them would recover because I was afraid I wouldn't give them enough time and cut them off too soon. I'm an amateur when it comes to house plants or just plants in general. Maybe I should have cut the dying branches back a little (1/3 or so) at the beginning of the summer? Anyhow, we moved the tree back inside about 2-3 weeks ago just before nighttime temperatures started to drop to around 50 degrees here. It has been kept in the far corner of my kitchen in front of a large window for the last 3 years and has always seemed healthy and happy. Well, yesterday I decided to Google the issue of pruning the dead branches and found a few slightly helpful blog discussions and YouTube videos but I still feel like I'm in the dark as to whether or not I'm helping or harming my tree. I did prune the dead branches away and tried to prune the tips of the lower half of the tree that seems to be doing okay even though it seems somewhat scrawny looking. I hope to goodness that I didn't really screw up by cutting away the dead branches (some just snapped right off without needing to be cut). I know to prune branches just before a node at a slight angle but I still feel confused as to what little twiggy branches and "Y" intersect branches I need to cut off. Is it even possible for someone to help me? LOL! I feel lost. I have read that you should leave the leading top branch alone but I've also read that sometimes there is a need to cut it back/off. What should I do about the gap? Any attempts to help me would be greatly appreciated. I'm determined to save this tree. We bought it our first year of marriage and it means a lot to my husband and I.

Comments (7)