SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randy_

Branch pruning, Ficus Benjamina

Randy_
10 years ago

Hello all - after plenty of solid advice I'm happy to report on the good health of my ficus. Got rid of a nasty scale problem, undertook root pruning, and potted-up in Al's gritty mix. A year later, what a difference!

Now that the tree is healthy and happy I want to work on the shape - the previous owner must have had it close to a wall as it's narrow in depth yet wide when turned 90ú. There are a few branches in this wide area that are thick very dominant. I would like to cut these branches back hard and trim a bit from the top 1/3 to promote growth lower in the tree.

I have no idea where to cut these thick branches (marked A in photo). Seems the more I read the more confusing the matter is. I don't want to whack into the trunk at this juncture. I'm including a quote from Al (to andersons), as it seems to describe what I'm thinking of doing (esp the part about strong middle branches).

Somehow the idea of choosing a new leader is difficult to visualize, which is advice received last year. I'd just like to balance the tree better, from 2D to 3D if that makes sense. Photos included to hopefully illustrate situation. Thanks!

'I think you misunderstood about the pruning of the upper part of the tree. That part will always grow strongest, and I wasn't very clear about the 'cutting back to 2 leaves' part. I meant to remove half the branching in the upper 1/3 of the canopy, then reduce the remaining branching (in the upper 1/3 of the canopy) to 2 leaves per branch. The rest of the branches should be left as is unless there are very strong branches in the middle third, in which case you should reduce only those branches & leave the weaker branches untouched for now. If you want to remove lower branches after the tree recovers - feel free. BTW - when pruning containerized trees (as opposed to current practice for trees in the landscape), flush cuts are ok, and sealing them with waterproof wood glue or even Vaseline to keep the cambium from dying back and increasing the wound size speeds healing of major pruning cuts markedly. Also - your cuts will tend to bleed latex, but a quick spritz at the cut site with tap water half a minute after pruning will stop the oozing.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ficus album

This post was edited by Randy_ on Thu, Jul 4, 13 at 1:38

Comments (10)