SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ravencajun

The Houston fire

Some might not be aware of the huge horrible fire that is burning and has been burning for days here in Houston. It is a petro chemical plant that is burning. There are many many big tanks of various chemicals in the area. The ones that are burning currently are supposed to be xylene and naphtha and toluene. Currently there are 8 tanks are on fire. They are so close together and burn so hot it continues to spread to more tanks. It started with only one tank. The huge clouds of black smoke are covering a large part of the Houston area. It's a horrible situation. We are of course very concerned about the air quality. They have shut down schools in the closer areas and had some shelter in place orders. Ash is falling in some areas they are warning not to touch it. There's so much foam being sprayed on it now that stuff is making it's way into the waterways. For anyone with asthma and heart and lung problems it's scary! I had to get out today to go to the hospital for more testing. Other than that I have been staying in the house. Praying for the fire fighters and those in the immediate area. This is going to be burning for days or weeks! If you look at the pictures of how many tanks are in the direct vicinity it could be a huge problem.
Pictures to follow.

Comments (56)

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    5 years ago

It is amazing to me that there doesn't seem to be a plan or procedure in place for dealing with this -- surely it could have been anticipated as a risk.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Years ago I dated a chemical engineer who worked at one of those plants, and he was on the volunteer fire crew. He always said that when he got married, he would quit the crew because it was just so dangerous.

Raven, you are so due for some GOOD luck.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked bpath
  • Related Discussions

when to plant pumpkins and winter squash in Houston

Q

Comments (7)
    Here's what the Natural Gardener in Austin has to say: "Note to veggie gardeners: this holiday is your yearly reminder to plant pumpkin seeds in order harvest for Halloween and Thanksgiving. Also, itÂs getting close to fall tomato time; aim for getting your plants in the ground the second to third week of this month." Go to their website and sign up for weekly newsletters. I love getting them!
    ...See More

Is it possible to have no-spray roses in Houston?

Q

Comments (9)
    Hmm... I do occasionally water the lawn (maybe once every 2 weeks, but not usually the area with the roses. I occasionally water the roses individually at the base if they're looking thirsty. I'd say maybe once every week or two. Is that too much? There's a fence to the back of the roses, but lots of space on every other side - at least a foot between each bush. It's funny you should mention the ants, though. Every time I've dug up anything in our yard I find fire ants in the roots. The first affected Belinda's Dream bush is the only one I've found actual mounds underneath. Also, the fire ant battle has been the one time I've broken the no-chemical treatment rule. I've used Amdro. Could either the Amdro or the ants be harming the bushes? It also seems like maybe we have a fungus-y yard or something. I frequently find mushrooms, our Bradford pear has a small amount of fire blight, and a crepe myrtle in the front gets that sooty mold if I don't keep the aphids off. Maybe general poor drainage? (Or maybe none of that's unusual - I don't know...) But the roses at least have obviously done well for quite a few years before I arrived on the scene, which leads me to think maybe it's something I've done!
    ...See More

a good PB who does pool, spa and outside kitchen in Houston

Q

Comments (11)
    Here's a few more from the north side of that will go down to your neck of the woods in town. Paul @ Texas pools Mike @ Hipp Pools Charlie @ Wise Pools Kelly @ Atlantis Pools & Spas We are all on the north side in The Woodlands area but will build pools of your caliber down in town too. I'm one of the builders mentioned on the list. David mentioned some great builders from the SW side of town. I'd feel sure that any of these 8 would be willing to come and provide you service. And equally that you'll find great BBB and Chamber of Commerce reviews on all of these men. Welcome to SE Texas!!! See ya, Kelly
    ...See More

New build, Houston (Cypress), Tx

Q

Comments (118)
    Thanks Elizablue. I got the palms from Beyond Paradise. They have a location in Cypress and one in Katy. They all are doing great and the triple Pygmy survived the cold winter which we feared it may not (I was in San Antonio when we got freezing rain that wasn't predicted so I didn't get to wrap it in a planket). The service and advice there was great too. Hope you find something you like.
    ...See More
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

Raven I am so sorry about the break in. I wonder if it might be worth pursuing an action against the facility which no doubt has business insurance that might cover your deductible. Did the police say why they are not taking action?

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked lucillle
  • nicole___
    5 years ago

Raven...I just read your personnel post...OMG.....that's terrible! What is wrong with people that would do that and police that won't arrest/stop them. The world has really gone crazy. I'm soooooo....soooooooooooo....sorry.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked nicole___
  • lindaohnowga
    5 years ago

Raven that is awful. I wish you could somehow get out of that area for a while even if it meant renting another RV. Still praying for you and your health problems and for your luck to change to nothing but good luck. Please stay in touch via email. I hope this isn't affecting the area where Marilyn and Jodi live.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked lindaohnowga
    5 years ago

When my 2 week old car was bashed in the grocery parking lot, there was a witness who provided the make/model and color of the car, plus a partial license plate, and the store had video. But somehow the sheriff just couldn't locate the person.

I was annoyed because not only was I out the deductible, but now my car would be worth some $1000 or so less just because of the accident.

Property crimes are much lower priority for police departments nearly everywhere these days I think, sole exception being theft of weapons.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
  • Texas_Gem
    5 years ago

My friend lives in Houston, she just sent me this pic from her apartment window. She says those aren't clouds, it's all smoke!!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Texas_Gem
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    5 years ago

(((((Hugs)))))) and love, Raven

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • Adella Bedella
    5 years ago

Sorry to hear about your RV Raven. Crime seems to be up this spring.

Here is a picture my husband took.

You can see the smoke cloud and the smog. My guess is with the way the wind shifts, we all will get a turn at breathing this stuff. It's been hard to breath, but it's yellow pollen season and hard to tell what is causing the problem. The kids and I all had headaches, but that could be regular allergies. We finally got sun after days of clouds and then this made the sky look like it was grey again.

I think they can get it put out after this group of tanks burn assuming they can get the other nearby tanks emptied. They keep saying 7-8 tanks are burning, but I think what they mean is currently burning. Apparently, at least four tanks have already burned out. That would mean twelve burned tanks.

I know the plume is high in the air at least in the daytime. I'm not sure I believe the monitor numbers. Those are only spot checks. I was smelling a slight chemical smell although that doesn't necessarily mean the numbers are high. Some smells are more highly detectable than others.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Adella Bedella
  • OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I heard about it yesterday. My niece was flying home to Houston after a visit here with family. What a nasty welcome home! It’s awful for anyone having to breathe in that.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked OutsidePlaying
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    5 years ago

The little time I was out today has definitely affected my breathing and I have been coughing a lot. It feels like grit is in my throat and I have a headache. Of course anyone with low immunity and respiratory issues are all probably experiencing similar symptoms.

There's no doubt that there's serious toxins in the black clouds, it's spreading over most of Houston areas.

• pudgeder
    5 years ago

Raven, I'm so sorry. What a pain! I agree you are due some good luck for a change!

All you Houstonians, my prayers are with you!

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked pudgeder
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

I'm keeping in touch with my son/his wife and my g'baby who live in downtown Houston and so far they are ok. I live south of Houston and have turned on the 3 HEPA filter machines I have although the air seems clear here.

• maggie200
    5 years ago

Raven, my heart beats hard hearing your story. Makes me cry. All you wrote is devastating.

My brother lives there in Memorial. Is it affected? Also, did you talk about how it started? I don't know. Poor Houston.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked maggie200
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    5 years ago

They have never said how it started. South has had less exposure. Of course the big problem is that they can't evacuate Houston.

The toxicologist, Dr. Dora Mayberry, was interviewed in the studio following the event in Deer Park, and she said it was alarming to hear them liken the black plume to what one might get from their backyard barbeque. She said the wrong people are being asked to give answers. They are the one with the most to lose and they don't have the education or equipment to make the statement that "there are no toxins in the black plumes." She said that is exactly what the black plumes are about..toxins. She added that saying there are no more toxins than in a backyard fire goes beyond an attempt to not alarm the public, into intentionally misleading the public. She recommended we all stay in doors as much as possible, no outdoor physical activities and no outdoor sports and keep your kids in.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    5 years ago
  • maggie200
    5 years ago

Raven, thank you for a very good write up to answer my question. I have to say you are an excellent typist. . I am not so don't laugh. The video shows how people are taking info from stupid people. It would be impossible to believe this is not serious. If I called my brother I would cry. He's almost 80 and I'm but 5 1/2 years behind. Raven, I'm so sorry you're in this mess. I've followed you on here for many years off and on and wonder how you will do if you have to go to a doctor. I really don't know. This will be another hard recovery for Houston. Thanks and I wish I could help you and your husband.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked maggie200
  • marilyn_c
    5 years ago

We are okay here. You can see the smoke off in the distance, from the highway but can't see it from home....too many tall trees.

Raven, I am just sick over what happened to your motor home. It is appalling that nothing is being done to arrest those who did that. I am sure the other people who own RVs that were damaged are very upset about that as well.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked marilyn_c
  • joyfulguy
    5 years ago

I'm troubled that you have this double problem to deal with, Raven. As though you haven't had way more than your share of heavy and long-term loads to cope with in recent years.

I'm sending good wishes and hopes that the issues are dealt without complications and with as few problems as possible, and offering prayers that both of you may have ongoing peace of heart as you cope with them.

ole joyful

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked joyfulguy
  • Lars
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I remember a similar fire in Baytown when I lived in Houston while at Rice, but Deer Park is significantly closer to central Houston than Baytown, although Baytown is close enough to smell, if the wind is in the wrong direction. Even Pasadena has a bad odor (that I remember), and I had a best friend at Rice who was from Pasadena and played the organ there for his Lutheran Church. I would sometimes go with him to hear him play.

I loved living in Houston (not in the summer), but I was also aware of a lot of the dangers there. Baytown scared me, but we have similar situations here in the Long Beach area, which is closer to me now than Baytown was. I also live five miles from the Inglewood oil fields here, but I do not think they are dangerous. At least nothing happened to them in 1994.

The pictures I see from the video you posted remind me of a volcano, although perhaps worse. I hope you have a gas mask or something to wear for when you must go outside. I did not have one when I lived in Houston, but being on the west side, I did not feel the need. Are you in south Houston? As indicated in the video, Houston is a huge city, and the effects will be very different in different parts of the city. I think that the Memorial Park area will do better because of all the trees, but then most of west and north Houston has a lot of trees. They help a bit, but they really cannot filter out the particles in the air like a mask would.

I can't say that much good about my experiences with the Houston police, and so I think it is wise that you have insurance. We have earthquake and fire insurance here, but not flood (being on top of a small hill in an area with 15" annual rain), but I would have flood insurance if I owned property in Houston. I do remember the disasters in Houston that I went through seemed to bring people together and create stronger bonds in communities, and I guess that happens in other areas where disasters happen on a regular basis (hurricane zones especially). I do not feel as much of a strong community feeling in my current neighborhood (as I did in Houston), but there is still something there - just a bit more aloof.

I am concerned about your health and hope you are taking all the best precautions. I also hope that you are getting help from you neighbors, as I expect.

I saw the news of this fire on CBS Evening News with Jeff Glor (which I always record), and so I heard about it as soon was we got back from Mexico. It was also on Deutsche Welle the day we got back.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Lars
  • Adella Bedella
    5 years ago

The news is reporting that the fires are out. Maybe we can enjoy the beautiful weather and regular old allergy season today. I have flowers to plant.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    5 years ago

I hadn't heard. I'm sorry to hear this. I hope your breathing is good and strong, smoke free.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • sjerin
    5 years ago

When I heard this fire was still burning as much as ever and not fading out as they'd hoped, I sure did think of you, Raven. I'm glad to read above that it is out! That must have been one heckofa job to knock it out.

Raven, it's unbelievable that this terrible thing happened to your RV!!! It's incredibly unfair and I'm as sorry as can be that you have to deal with this; how sad that you were basically told, "tough luck." I suppose suing the storage company would just bring you more stress? That, you do not need. A virtual hug to you, Raven.

Erin

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked sjerin
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    5 years ago

First thank you to all of you for your support and prayers and well wishes!

I am in the North Houston area and a little west.

Yesterday finally the people in charge of the fire brought in the Louisiana hell fighters. They should have done that day one! Those guys are awesome and put out oil well wild fires all over the world. Remember the huge wild fires in Saudi Arabia? They were the only ones that were able to get those put out. My brother in laws brother was with the hell fighters back then. They could have been able to stop this fire quickly the first day. Look how fast they put it out with 8 tanks burning.

At any rate I am beyond excited that it's out now! We have a good breeze today so that should help move out most of the remaining smoke. I feel very bad for the people who lived directly in the Deer park area. I pray this doesn't lead to a life time of problems for anyone. I am still staying indoors today. I have to go to the Dr tomorrow and yes I do have a mask!

As to why the police have shown no interest in the individuals who did so much horrible damage to so many RVs is beyond me. We begged them to take evidence. The storage facility owner begged them on numerous occasions. He was furious. This was a brand new very nice facility which is why we picked it. These were juveniles so probably would not get much more than a slap. They were apparently living in our motorhome for a few days. They had even figured out how to turn on the heater so they could stay warm. That caused all the power in the facility to trip off. We found a lot of stuff that they had apparently stolen from others in our motorhome. As we walked through with the police I spotted 4 of the biggest knives I have seen laying on the dresser in the bedroom! Like machete size! NOT OURS! I said omg they could have killed someone with those. The police did NOT TAKE THEM! They did not even photograph them. I made the lady from the storage facility get them out of my bedroom. They left clothes and hats and about 10 boxes of hair dye in the motorhome. They completely trashed the place. Everything that was in the cabinets was tossed everywhere. We found a huge box of kitchen matches, I think they were planning on burning the place. We are fortunate that did not happen. Apparently they had little children with them, we found children's toys and books in the motorhome. We are going to sell it once it's repaired. I just can't stomach going back inside after the things I saw and not knowing what they were doing in there in my bedroom! Luckily they didn't do anything to the exterior or the motor. They broke the lock on a window to get in. Hopefully the repairs will be successful and we will be able to sell it quickly.

Again thanks for the support!

• Rusty
    5 years ago

So glad to know the fires are out! ! ! National news (ABC) gave it pretty thorough coverage, but I haven't checked it today yet, so just found out by reading it here. Also glad to know that y'all, and Marilyn C are basically okay. I hope and pray that you (and all others that breathed those fumes) suffer no long term effects.

I am beyond speechless by the (non) actions of the police in regards to your motorhome! It makes no sense whatsoever. Hopefully the repairs will go quickly.

Rusty

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Rusty
    5 years ago

The reaction of the Houston police reminds me of the San Diego County sheriff when I went through that spate of having my home burglarized. They said it was illegals and there was nothing they could do. Never looked for fingerprints, never followed up on the stolen jewelry etc. I thought they could at least question and search the greenhouse facility next door!

With the rise of violent crimes and drug overdoses now I can see that the police don't think theft is all that important (and I am sure that the thieves know that!!), but it still feels terrible to have your private spaces and property invaded and destroyed.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Not a comment on OP's sad break-in experience, and my best wishes to her, but rather a response to raee:

I'm sympathetic to police departments and the decisions they need to make about where and how they spend their resources. It's up to each to decide what they can and can't do, where their time is best spent. A good example is that many police agencies in California over the past decades (before legalization) decided to NOT enforce marijuana personal possession misdemeanor laws. Drug dealers, different story, but they decided that it just wasn't worth wasting their time for personal possession. Same is true in many areas about investigating some robberies and break-ins or the degree to which this is done.

I'm not suggesting this is true of raee, but many people rely and expect a certain level of governmental services but complain about paying the taxes that fund them. The result is that many essential services are underfunded and they have to make do with what they have.

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

Raven I missed the first post about your motor home! It makes me sick! I am so sad for you about the whole thing. And angry that it appears nothing is being done toward the criminals.

While I understand what Elmer is staying about petty crime, this is not petty. It is thousands of dollars, if not hundreds of thousands of dollars, of repeat offender criminal activity. It’s also called building a case for the prosecutor.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes ours alone is well over $50,000 damage, there were at least 20 other rv and motorhomes that were broken into and damaged. Nothing minor. Plus it significantly damaged the income of the storage facility. They had to make arrangements to evacuate the facility.

Update on the fire! Breaking news right now. A huge fire ball explosion just happened at the same area. One of the tanks has reignited. They are spraying foam on it. They have hot spots still they are watching.

• ghostlyvision
    5 years ago

KHOU is reporting crews had the flare up out within minutes - I don't live close enough to Deer Park to know if that's true lol, I'm slightly NW of Houston. We got all the smoke and some chemical smell, I couldn't believe the 'no toxins' baloney, you could smell them in the air yesterday. I had to do some errands and felt yucky all day afterwards.

So sorry about your damages Raven, I just don't get how people can be so cruel and the police leave us feeling helpless and unprotected. :(

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked ghostlyvision
  • josephene_gw
    5 years ago

I am amazed (mild word) at the treatment you have received from your police dept. sometimes you have to put your foot down. How many folks have had this happen to them? Where is your mayor? Where is your city council?

where is your insurance company? They are the biggest loser?

This was no small break-in.

i am sorry for your loss.

we lived just north of Beaumont for 10 yrs and had a pollution problem coming from Houston. What were they thinking not calling the hell fighters in sooners?

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked josephene_gw
  • josephene_gw
    5 years ago

My thoughts are with you.

Hope the worst is behind you.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked josephene_gw
  • happy2b…gw
    5 years ago

There is no excuse for the police not to do their job. These people sound like they are not only a menace, but dangerous. I would complain to the elected officials.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked happy2b…gw
  • Adella Bedella
    5 years ago

Raven. Not sure when your incident happened. You could take it to the tv station. I know at least one occasionally looks into citizen complaints.

• yeonassky
    5 years ago

I'm so sad that you went through this! Shame on them for not doing the right thing. Praying that it is resolved properly. ((((((Raven))))))

Also praying that the fire is taken care of quickly.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked yeonassky
  • Adella Bedella
    5 years ago

Shelter in place and schools closed today in areas surrounding the plant. Benzene detected in the air.

• ghostlyvision
    5 years ago

Hearing a lot about the elevated levels of Benzene (although no actual numbers) but not about what they're doing to stop the leak outside of 'laying a foam blanket'. Press conference expected momentarily.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked ghostlyvision
  • ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes the benzene level is very concerning! There was no doubt in my mind that there were dangers in the smoke and the fumes. The shell plant next to the fire area reported that they were detecting benzene yesterday. They were not going to let them get away with lying about no danger. Now the owners of the plant just said it may be the foam that they were spraying on the fire causing the benzene. Not likely. They really just need to be honest. Like benzene was never listed as what was in the tanks! Now they are admitting yes there is benzene.

• Adella Bedella
    5 years ago

The fires apparently flared up again today. They said there was a dike breach.

• lucillle
    5 years ago

They really just need to be honest.

They are probably facing unbelievable fines and expenses, if they can lie their way out I think they will go for it. But I think all the attention is bringing some honesty into the equation.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

I suspect exposure to fines, other sanctions, and civil liabilities will be based in large part on the findings of future investigations and not at all on press releases or in the moment public statements.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • Adella Bedella
    5 years ago

I've heard they are already sued by the EPA and the city of La Porte. I'm sure there will be more lawsuits to follow.

It's an inherently dirty industry and the risk is high. I'm curious about how much of this they could have controlled.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Yes it's burning again and unfortunately it has spread to another group of tanks and the drainage ditch. It's impacting the waterways now. They get it knocked down but after a while it blows up again in flames and smoke. They are closing down more things now, not just schools. We both have definitely felt it yesterday and today. At the Dr yesterday we were both coughing quite a bit and scratchy throats and itchy eyes and noses. We have a lot of pollen, and ozone in the air as well as the benzene and other smoke toxins. They have lots of people in the direct vicinity that are going to the clinics they have set up. One lady today had a horrible rash all over her arms. It's scary.

• lucillle
    5 years ago

not at all on press releases

That is not the case in the modern world. The amount and tenor of publicity many times has a direct bearing on responses of all kinds to events. Many strides forward in the law in behalf of those who need those strides most only occurred after public outcry and the attendant press articles. On the other hand if an event is hushed up, it is easier for these companies to argue their way to a slap on the wrist.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Black smoke clouds can't be hushed up. Nor can events covered in the national media. Interim PR comments when little is known anyway get flushed down the toilet.

ravencajun Zone 8b TX thanked Elmer J Fudd
  • lucillle
    5 years ago

I was discussing events in general, not just this one. Press coverage affects how the event is handled, during and after. Press releases by the company itself are covered by media, and if the company attempts a hush up and the truth comes out, that will absolutely not be flushed but will be a factor in how that company is handled later when it is held accountable.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

"will absolutely not be flushed but will be a factor in how that company is handled later when it is held accountable"

Lucille, we've had a series of tragic fires in California in the last decade or so that have occurred during times of high winds. At each instance, of course, the sources of each fire were unknown until investigations could be completed. Power lines were suspected in some cases. The power utilities could only offer words of public support and descriptions of efforts they took and would continue to take. While denying having played any role.

Pacific Gas and Electric, the electricity utility that serves much of the northern half of California, has now filed for bankruptcy under the weight of lawsuit claims for billions of dollars for fire-caused property damage. Their comments along the way ranged from neutral and non-committal to denials of culpability for starting any of the many wildfires in its service area. All those statments are out the window now and irrelevant. .

PR statements are puffery and hype, everyone knows that. There's no liability or risk to companies for having put out positive spin later found to be untrue.

• lucillle
    5 years ago

There's no liability or risk to companies for having put out positive spin later found to be untrue

If someone relies on such a false statement to their detriment, your statement is simply untrue.

• Elmer J Fudd
    5 years ago

Lucille, I think fraudulent deceit (a civil tort and not a criminal matter) is when statements are made that are known at the time to be untrue. In disasters, pre-investigation, nothing is known with certainty. Spin is common in press releases. You're simply guessing.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting