Common misuse of words ?
7 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (335)
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
Related Discussions
Common wrong 'common' names.
Comments (20)Gottagarden, the exact same thing happened to me. I ended up with those orange daylilies too(Hemerocallis). That was my first introduction to "common" names from people who are not really into gardening. I try and use the latin if it's pronouncable (and that's a big IF on some of those honkers) or appropriate to the situation. For instance I certainly wouldn't ask the clerk at Walmart where the Hemerocallis are. Pointless. Funny about prejudice though. I once asked a friend of mine why she didn't use the latin to talk about some of her plants when she knew what it was. She replied that the rest of her friends would think she was trying to be uppity. So now I realize that there are people out there who garden who don't want to know more then they already know and consider it snobbish to use a name they are not familiar with. I like to learn the latin if possible and how to pronounce it. But I guess there are two different ways to see things even in gardening...One of the strangest common name mix ups was when I lived in Indiana. I was told that some people refer to Bell Green Peppers as Green Mangos. Now that would be confusing....See MoreMicrosoft Word/Word Perfect
Comments (13)Nonnie, please don't take offense but I think the problem is more with you being a novice than with Wordperfect. I say that based on a couple clues you give me in your post. One thing is WordPerfect will accept any universal graphics format. Those do not include graphics generated in program-specific formats like Print Shop or Master Prints and other such programs. Universal formats include bmp, jpg, tif, wmf, eps, pcx, png, and there are many others, but these are the most common. WordPerfect will accept all of these and most (if not all) of the others. And, of course, it accepts its own format wpg. To find out what it will accept, go to Insert Picture as if you are going to insert one. Click on the Files of Type arrow at the bottom and scroll to see what all is in there. Files of any other type will not be compatible, which means you might have to tell it to accept more if it isn't already programmed to do that. This is part of setup and is located on your WordPerfect installation disk. Concerning the article you are trying to put into your document, I don't know what that is. Is it type-written words or is it a graphic image? Is it a WordPerfect document? A Word document? A document created in some other program? Or a graphic clip that someone sent you? And how are you trying to insert it? If it is type written, is it possible to copy and paste it in? Please give a little more information? Increasing memory, as Owbist suggested, is always a good. I do know Word is the more popular word processing program used these days, but WordPerfect is also powerful and nothing snuff at LOL. I can understand the documents you receive from people are usually written in Word and having Word will make like a lot easier for you. So, to answer your question, yes you can install and run Word without having to uninstall WordPerfect. Installing Word is simple enough. The installation Wizard will walk you through it. You just follow the instructions on the screen and answer the questions it asks. You may want to instruct submissions to limit file types and size. If I were you, I'd make that only bmp formats because they don't blur or distort as readily as jpg formatted images. Also, people will send 10mg files because they don't know any better. You may want to tell them to limit file size to 1mg or 2 or 3 so you are able to manage the size and functionability of your newsletter pages(s). If you ever have to take your newsletter to a service bureau for printing, they will require jpg images only, so you will need to know that when instructing submissions....See MoreWord Game: Words From A Word PART 2
Comments (150)Affordable ford able bale lade lad fad fade doable dare drab brad loaf foal for deaf leaf barf fade fed led lead load lead deal dole flab blade dale fab fable able lade ade fade fore rad doff And I know there are lots more, but that is enough. GLISTENING...See MoreFloof - misused phrases
Comments (172)I think it was the Norman conquest in general that brought so many French words into English but I'm not sure. I cited a curious example of a few related words but the uncountable number of food related words and the many other words of all kinds are much more numerous than most people realize. I don't know and didn't look for the answer but I wonder if words of French origin outnumber words from any other single source. In return, many English words are used as shortcuts in French. Not so much incorporated into the language as with other words but rather for colloquial, informal use. A typical comment among co-workers on Friday afternoon is to say "Bon weekend", the meaning of which is obvious to an English speaker. You wear "un smoking" (tux) to formal affairs, leave your can in "le parking", work up "le business plan", and on and on....See More- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years agolast modified: 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 7 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years agolast modified: 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
- 6 years ago
Related Stories

MOST POPULARThree Magic Words for a Clean Home and a Better Life
Not a natural tidying and organizing whiz? Take hope in one short phrase that can change your life forever
Full Story
WORKING WITH PROSThe 4 Potentially Most Expensive Words in Remodeling
‘While you’re at it’ can result in change orders that quickly add up
Full Story
MOST POPULARA Few Words on the Power of Simplicity
An architect considers a pared-down approach to modern home design
Full Story
BATHROOM DESIGN5 Common Bathroom Design Mistakes to Avoid
Dodge blunders in toilet placement, shower type and more, and see examples of how to get your bathroom right
Full Story
Honoring Martin Luther King, Jr. — In His Words, In Our Homes
The legendary leader’s wisdom is as relevant today as ever, in all aspects of our lives
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESCommon Myths That May Be Hurting Your Garden
Discover the truth about fertilizer, soil, staking and more to keep your plants healthy and happy
Full Story
REMODELING GUIDESDo You Recognize These 5 Common Side Effects of Remodeling?
We offer advice on how to counter ‘scope creep,’ home-decoration fixation, second-guessing and more
Full Story
DECORATING GUIDESSpell It Out: Words of Inspiration for Your House
A favorite quote can enhance a room the way an inspiring idea engages your mind. Here’s how to add word power to your interiors
Full Story
COFFEE WITH AN ARCHITECTFlash Cards for Common Architectural Terms
Architect takes a stab at the language of design
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESExperts Share 13 Common Gardening Mistakes and How to Avoid Them
See how to avoid overwatering, spacing out plants incorrectly and other landscaping pitfalls
Full Story
yoyobon_gwOriginal Author