SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holly_stockley

American Regional Architecture

Holly Stockley
5 years ago

I fell down a little literature rabbit hole this morning that started with a report on Zillow that "regional architecture" is on the rise. It led to a little analysis of their profile data (which is pretty weak, since it's based on the check boxes for "style" in MLS listings). But they seem to be calling it a trend.

Now, contrast that a bit with an article from Places (an architectural journal), that argues there is no true "regionalism" anymore in American architecture:

https://placesjournal.org/article/a-fortuitous-shadow/?cn-reloaded=1

(You didn't read it. I get it. It's long. Interesting, but long)

So here is a question: Has the speed of information dissemination increasing led to homogenization of American home styles? Beginning with the Sears kit home, and culminating with modern production builds, things have gotten more and more "the same" from coast to coast.

To include apartment buildings:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/features/2019-02-13/why-america-s-new-apartment-buildings-all-look-the-same

Second question: Is this less noticeable in the custom home market? Do people who are building a home that is not in a development or at least not part of a production model tend more often to choose a regional style?

Third question (Inspired by bpath's post of that lovely 1930's gem this AM): If so many of us fawn over historical styles and house, why do we not make an effort to build anything with near the charm? Why so many CAD-designed, uncategorizable hodge-podge "transitional" stock plans, and so few Dutch Colonials, Dog Trots, Georgians, etc?

(Disclaimer: I tend to share Clem Labine's opinion of the Modernist school of architecture, so I usually mentally sift these out when I'm looking at local building styles. My bad. But, in truth, there is very little built here that would classify as "modern" unless it's followed by the word "farmhouse.")

Comments (34)