SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
palimpsest

How does your region affect your decor/taste?

palimpsest
14 years ago

In the thread "what do you like that others don't" we touched on one aspect of design. However, I think it brought up something else, which is regional variations in decor.

I think that some regions are clearly underrepresented in the design media, so it gives the impression that certain styles are prevalent whereas "yours" may be outmoded. However, it may be something that is popular and "appropriate" in your area. I will give a fashion example, and refrain from giving an interiors example for right now.

When I am at the airport, if I happen to see a man in a ten gallon hat and a woman with giant hair and bedazzled jeans, if I am in the Northeast, I think "tourist" and how they stick out. If I am in the Texas Oklahoma area, *I* am the one who is the "tourist" in my navy and chartreuse Pumas and ironic band t-shirt from the 80s.

So, how does where you live affect your taste? This may be a particularly interesting question for the city born who is now country, or the Iowa native who now lives in LA.

Comments (81)

• IdaClaire
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not at all, Paint_chips! Your point is exactly the one I was trying to make - albeit I obviously didn't do too great a job 'splaining myself, Lucy! ;-)

I wasn't directing my "bristle" comment at anyone in particular -- just stating that I'm well aware of the stereotypes, and do find them a bit hard to live down, and that in turn is annoying. I can't tell you how many little English village pubs I've visited and struck up conversations with the locals, and somebody always, always has to do their "best" Texan imitation by hoisting up some pretend chaps, bowing out their legs, and belting out, "Well, HOWDY, ya'll! I'm frum Texxxxx-izzzzz". Yeesh. That gets really old.
    ;-D

• johnmari
    14 years ago

I live in eastern New Hampshire. The most common residential architecure styles are Cape Cods, saltboxes, center-chimney and center-hall Colonials, a boxy Victorian-era vernacular style locally called a "New Englander" because it's so ubiquitous (that's what I have), much-simplified Greek Revivals, and in rural areas the rambling farmhouse complex nicknamed "big house-little house-back house-barn" - that's a larger farmhouse containing the main living areas with a smaller addition on the back or side that usually held the kitchen, then an even smaller section (often unheated, containing pantry and storage as well as acting as a passageway and mudroom) connecting to a large barn. This area has been settled since the early 1600s and there are houses from the late 17th and early 18th centuries still standing and still inhabited, and those styles frquently inspired later buildings. Lots of the "white siding and black shutters/door" cliche, and a bizarre penchant for yellow houses with brown trim which is kind of a gross combination IMO. The contemporary/modern houses didn't really take off here, nor did the "ranchburgers" and raised ranches (usually called split-levels here, which also includes the multi-level houses most of the rest of the country calls split-levels). Sure, there're some, but it's nowhere near as common as they are elsewhere. Some flavors of bungalow would suit this area well because they're so cozy but there just aren't very many of them. :-( There's a Spanish-style bungalow near me, peachy stucco and brick with a terracotta-tile roof, and it just looks downright ridiculous. It simply doesn't fit.

Houses up here tend to have somewhat lower ceilings and smaller rooms rather than the soaring ceilings, entire walls of glass, enormous airy rooms that are more common in warmer climates because they're more expensive to heat. Heating is rarely far from a typical New Englander's mind! LOL (Even midway through June we're still turning on the heat since some nights are dropping into the 40s and we've had too many days that were barely 60, windy and wet.) When they do crop up they're usually in new construction which isn't generally quite as conscious about fitting the house to its surroundings and climate. Grand houses of earlier eras had high ceilings and large rooms because it sent the message that the owner was wealthy enough that he didn't care about heat! Wood floors are very desirable even though floors tend to be freezing cold, but that's what area rugs (braided rugs are everywhere!) and slippers are for. :-)

Decorating tends to be on the conservative and somewhat utilitarian side except among the wealthy, probably because we frugal Yankees never throw anything away. LOL Country, primitive, "cottage" (not so much the Shabby Chic type though) and Americana decorating abounds, probably because it works very well in the Capes and Colonials that are so common. Hunter green, navy and burgundy never went out of style here! There's a lot of Shaker-style furniture and accessories because so many of the Shaker villages were in New England, and I think it's probably a rare house that doesn't have something by one of the Wyeths in it. :-) My own decor is relatively eclectic (what I nickname Early Attic and Neo-Yardsale LOL). I lean toward lots of wood in floors, furniture and trim; just-plain-old furniture; warmer and deeper colors (cool, pale colors make a room feel colder in the winter and winter light can wash them out, although a lot of people do use off-white for walls); snuggly fabrics. If it ain't practical I don't have it. I never had the problem others complain about with leather furniture being cold or stiff in the winter, so I would have more leather if I could afford it. :-) Since my house stylistically straddles the late Victorian and early Arts & Crafts periods I can indulge my love of both - anything from about 1880 to WWI works in here.

• Related Discussions

How has building a house affected your marriage/relationships?

Q

Comments (86)
    kculbers 3 months ago Pinebaron: how did you find out about those tourmaline rocks?? kculbers: My apologies for not responding sooner, just saw your message. Some online research plus knowledge gleaned from a book of fortune or something, helped a lot since I was previously only aware of stones negatively impacting various things. Now I keep a very large tourmaline rock on my office desk below my monitor and another really large one in our living room; that definitely did the trick for us. Now it's almost exactly three years since we moved to our 'masterpiece' although it only became party capable a year later (we love to entertain), i.e. by Thanksgiving 2019. At the time the pandemic struck, my DW was promoted at her work and my own work tripled due to an insane demand for what I do, helping generate an enormous surplus, an ingredient that helped grease the wheels of life. Buzz Solo in northeast MI @Pinebaron We finally sold our house in September 2020. we lost money on it but it's out of our hair (and I left my old neighbors with a good new neighbor!) And DH and I are still married, still frustrated in different ways (the home building board has seen a lot of my "can't find an HVAC guy" posts, but we're getting there. What worries more I think is what we're going to do with ourselves when it's done and we move in! we're going to have to find another project so we don't sit and stare at each other all day. Buzz Solo: A house, no matter how complete, is always going to need some love and there should always be a project or two in-flight to keep you both interested and engaged. If all is really done and when travel becomes easier, take a vacation or two, even a one day sightseeing or window shopping excursion can do wonders.
    ...See More

When your taste in art clashes with your sense of style

Q

Comments (18)
    I find them beautiful, captivating and mildly disturbing all at the same time.... and I am sure that visitors might feel the same way... or may JUST find them disturbing, lol. However, I stare at one particular picture from that artist all the time because I think it's just so beautiful... so maybe that is what I should be aiming for? Art that stands out to me, rather than something that blends in? Ahhh ... you're getting it. ;-) I believe that truly good art makes you feel something. There may be any number of different emotions evoked by a piece, but the fact that it moves you in some way means that it is speaking to you. I completely disagree with the notion that art in the home "should be a part of the larger picture and shouldn't really stand out." Think about a museum. Do the paintings and sculpture and photography in a museum simply blend into the background? Absolutely not! Art should feel alive. It should make you feel alive in a sense, as well. As for what visitors may think or feel about your art ... may I just be blunt and say who cares? - ? Never live your life (and that includes decorating your home) based upon what others might (or might not) think.
    ...See More

Does your decor match your wardrobe?

Q

Comments (28)
    Wow this is interesting. I feel like the answers are all over the place. That makes it fun. : ) Thanks for doing a comparison of your wardrobe and decor, everyone! In terms of style, I think my decorating is pretty close to what I wear: comfortable and dressy casual. I love wearing long, flowy, ultra-comfy skirts. No heels for me. The last pair I wore (almost wrote war, and nearly left it...) was nearly 20 years ago when my mom insisted I wear them with my wedding dress. No more! LOL (I dearly love my mom, but if I'd have had my way, I would have worn some cute little sneakers!) I also like some feminine touches in my decorating: florals, battenberg lace trim on curtains, eyelet, anything to give a soft, pretty touch without it being overkill. But, I also like plaids and will use those occasionally, too. I enjoy quilts, and see them as artwork as much as blankets. I have enjoyed hanging a variety of quilts on display, and I've flopped them over the backs of couches through the years because they are so much fun to look at. Color is where it gets trickier. I have many deep toned colors in my closet. Deep purple, rich turquoise, wine red, russet and chocolate browns, a few khakis, navy, black, and very.little.white (it makes me look ill.) I have red hair, and try to pick items that work well with it. I also love wearing pale aqua, and almost any shade of green, (well...except Kermit the frog green--it makes me look like I'm about to...croak. Seriously.) When I was making artwork, pre-kiddos, I also loved working with deep jewel tones. They were vibrant and delicious! I'm not sure how I'd feel living in walls covered in those vibrant colors though. I wish there were a paint display house, where I could go and sit in different colored rooms and just "feel" the colors for a while. That would be wonderful. Or they could be distracting, since I'd be staring and evaluating the whole time. I guess it's good that we don't dress exactly like our surroundings, or we'd blend in too much, just like some of our pets.
    ...See More

Does your Christmas decor match your existing color scheme......

Q

Comments (47)
    Isn’t Christmas stressful enough? Now we have to worry about weather or not our Christmas tree matches our year round home decor? Let’s get rid of all our tree ornaments we collected and invested in over the years and run out to buy new to match the decor in our homes. I’ll decorate my tree with the same ornaments I use year after year and receive so many compliments on it even if it doesn’t match my year round interior decor. I donate to charities throughout the year. I think this year I’ll choose a family who can’t afford a tree and take them to pick out a tree and ornaments. I don’t think there going to question weather the ornaments and kind of tree they choose are going to match there decor. I’m pretty sure they will be happier to be able to gather their family around the Christmas tree this year. I doubt they will look at each other and discuss weather the tree matches the decor. They will be so happy just to have a tree they decorated together.
    ...See More
  • kitchendetective
    14 years ago

Mari,
    Our first house after we married was in Central California--a 1600 square foot Cape Cod. White wood, green, nearly black shutters, saltbox. Walls were honest-to-goodness plaster. It was built by a master carpenter for his own family in the 1940's. Red oak floors, doors, window frames. Detached garage built later. Mostly blue and white interior (russet accents), all white walls and ceilings, except for living room. White picket fence, roses, and azaleas. Three gigantic fruit trees in the always green backyard. I adored it. Became pretty cramped for us with 4 kids, two dogs, and two cats, but I still miss it. The driveway was lined with prize-winning hibiscus, though. Not very Cape Cod, huh?

• txnewmommy
    14 years ago

I live far West Texas. It is hot & arid here so tile floors are extremely popular. We have dust/dirt constantly blowing in the air (much like an old western movie) so white furniture has a tendency to turn brown quickly. Leather furniture is forgiving & very popular around here but I certainly do not have an entire house full of it. I do have the one "requisite" leather chair w/ nailheads though . . .

I have mixed some Texas/Southwest elements in with a more traditional style & added a few eclectic accents.
    This may not be everyone's taste but it fits our location & family perfectly--it is definitely "home" for us.

-Sarah

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That is a beautiful room and a perfect regional example.

If you were just starting that room, and asking for opinions, you would probably get a number that said "Oh, don't do tile!, its so cold" "You must have stained woodwork!" and it would be without the contexts of Texas (tile is so appropriate in your climate) and traditional (the painted woodwork allowing the finish of the furniture to take center stage). I even see a ceiling fan peeking in :)Not so necessary, perhaps, in a cold climate. This is why context and region can become so important.

• determined_sammie
    14 years ago

Hmmmm...stereotypes are interesting! I live in south Florida, golf coast ... and I don't know a single person who has her house decorated in what might be considered a stereotypical Florida style. Tuscan is big, as is traditional, and themes based on villas in Spain. The homes I've been in that are situated on the water have been decorated either very modern or Tuscan. I was quite surprised at the decor when I moved here...

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Txnewmommy, what a lovely, well-edited room.
    I must ask...is that a Maitland-Smith table? I have a very similar one (although frankly I like yours better!) Here's a photo of mine. (You're also a better photographer!)
    Similar things, different regional style. Right to the point, isn't it?

• txnewmommy
    14 years ago

Bronwynsmom: I like your table! No, my table is a Drexel-Heritage table but it does have a very similar style to yours. :]

• 2ajsmama
    14 years ago

Sarah - beautiful room, and the tile floor is perfect in your area, carpet wouldn't do (though maybe hardwoods, except it would distract people from your lovely furniture). Where exactly are you? DH is from Vega, I know how dusty and hot it can get in the summer (and how cold and snowy in the winter)!

We live in NE now and tile floors don't work except in baths and kitchens (and even with those small spaces we want radiant heat!). So we've got carpet everywhere else but DR. I have to say, our leather sofa is cold all the time (even in summer since we have AC). But DH would love your leather chair.

I like both the tables. Lovely wood furniture (nicer than any of mine)!

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

I am in Southeast - Western Tn - bordering MS & AR (3 poorest states in US)- big redneck country!! So, the rest of the country perceives that everyone in this area must be a redneck b/c it never fails!! if a tornado comes thru the area or anything happens on the news they are going to interview the most awful, countrified red neck person they can find with a wife beater shirt, butt crack hanging out of his pants, old nasty hat, with a tooth pick hanging out of his mouth, and this person will say "on yonder down the road a bit"

I just cringe.

But I am traditional in my decorating - and to be honest I am kinda getting sick of it. I have neither the gumption or the money to redo it. So you will have to put up with me:)

Smiles:)

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Of topic about the stereotypes, we mostly get a lot of toothless people on the news here in the Northeast as well.
    And of course the news is about shootings, car accidents, and fires. When I go back to my small town, where vinyl and laminate are tne norm, by the way...people ask "Aren't you afraid everyday living there?"

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Hmmm, yes. If it bleeds, it leads.

Have you ever seen Jeff Foxworthy do the bit about the tornado in the trailer park? "Hit was pandelirium!" I almost fell off the sofa.

Our local news is, for the most part, pathetic. Never a story of civic importance, or a thoughtful explanation of a legitimate controversy over development policy; never a coherent report on major medical news from our university hospital, or reviews of first rate cultural events (just the quarterly beer busts, with lots of gimme hats and rude T-shirts - "woo-hoo!"). And although many of us have spent countless hours working on neighborhood and city issues, preparing intelligent, well-researched presentations to City Council, the only Council meeting soundbites that make the news involve the most ignorant rabble rousers.

Ooops...pushed the thread off course again. Sorry! I seem to have a lot of extra opinions loaded up this week.

Hush, Mom.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Where I grew up, wall to wall carpet is still the desired norm, with hardwoods creeping in (or being uncovered). The climate is cold, and the housing stock is old. There are a lot of houses that have a main radiator or two for the entire upstairs, and floor vents just to let warm air rise.
    It was also shoes off at the front door in most households due to the type of industry the town had. Now that that has changed, I wonder if that practice is dying out.

• txnewmommy
    14 years ago

Ajsmama:

Hi there. I actually had to look Vega up on a map!
    I live as far west as Vega but we are about 450 miles south of Vega so it is a bit warmer here & we rarely get snow.

• trk65
    14 years ago

The area I live in (Raleigh NC Metro) has a pretty stable housing market and we still have a decent new construction market. This has an effect on decorating trends because if you choose to you can be exposed to all of the latest color and style trends by checking out the new subdivisions. We have an annual "Parade of Homes" event for 3 weekends in the fall and there are a couple HUNDRED new homes opened up for viewing and judging.
    The new construction also tends to have the effect of making homes that are just a few years old look kind of dated.
    As far as our own style is concerned-we always liked prairie/craftsman/mission style furniture even when it wasn't a great fit in our northern homes. Now we can incorporate these elements into our home more easily.

• hapyfrustrated
    14 years ago

I live in South Texas. I have tiled floors and absolutely no carpet, it is just too warm. We are not rednecks and bristle every time hollywood shows an actor with a disgusting pathetic southern accent. I call my decorating taste, elegant ranch. This is not a joke, and I resent people making fun of cowhide rugs, cowboy hats and chaps, which all fall into my scheme. My husband is a real cowboy, and is a cattle rancher. Our home is not the typical "ranch", we have beautiful rock on the exterior walls, and a wrap porch on three sides. I am not in to posting pics, but love it when others do.

Though I appreciate the Tuscan, and beach decorated homes, the ranching style certainly fits our tase. I wouldn't have it any other way.

• cattknap
    14 years ago

We live near Louisville, KY and the number one most popular architecture in our area is brick Federal style, Colonial and Cape Cod. The historic areas of Louisville feature many Craftsman style homes, Victorians, etc. Modern decorn is very popular too.

Some here decorate with horse art, accessories, etc. and the fleur de lis is very popular (a symbol of Louisville). Most interiors I have seen are traditional.

I don't really see a "regional decor" like I do in Phoenix/Scottsdale (southwest decor) or So. California where the "beachy look" is in.

• stbonner
    14 years ago

I live in Charleston, SC. Houses here tend to be VERY traditional, as does interior decorating and even clothing. Downtown you will see lots of single houses, but most suburban homes are traditionally styled. We have lots of brick homes, lots of hardi-plank or wood siding, some occasional stucco. We never see rock veneers around here for the most part.

We like lots of porches - screened and open. It is traditional here to paint the ceiling of your front porch a very light blue. Cottage style homes are also very big here.

I have a friend who had a beautiful contemporary home here and she had a terrible time selling it. Contemporary homes in this area stick out like a sore thumb and are really tough to move.

• enailes
    14 years ago

Johnmari, I so enjoyed your description of New Hampshire. I spent a summer from college living at Hampton Beach and worked in Portsmouth. I love N.H. and New England and all its charm! I live in Maryland and of course have a colonial and tend to have very traditional tastes, my folks are from the South so I was exposed very early to southern traditions in decorating and the "love" for decorating and keeping things nice. I would say that Maryland is a hodge-podge of whatever you want as far as style, we've been called the "little america" because we have the cities, mountains and oceans; no particular decorating style appears to dominate. However, the closer you move to historic cities and towns, such as Annapolis, Frederick, New Market etc., the more traditional styles do tend to dominate.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

There is an old suburb here (late 19th c.) that has a lot of stone houses of various architectures but with Victorian layouts.

As the larger lots were sold off, there were some houses built that are considered "Modernist Gems". Since they are little glass and concrete boxes, built at a time when the glass was not very insulating, and when room size tended toward the small (especially kitchens and baths) some of them are not very saleable. They are very cool to look at, but maybe not so easy to adapt to the 2000s. I think there are more of them than people realize, they are tucked away from view.

• kellyeng
    14 years ago

I live in the Texas Hill Country where the architecture is very distinct. The most popular residential new construction design is a conglomeration of Mediterranean, Spanish, German, ranch and a little Arts & Crafts for good measure.

I love this style because it really incorporates natural materials very well such as old timber beams, local limestone and sandstone, Travertine tile from Mexico, Cedar siding, mesquite wood floors and metal roofs. A popular material for cabinets and trim is alder and pine that's stained and lots of stained concrete floors. Landscape is xeriscape (no water + lots of deer = native plants) with lots of limestone boulders, big oak trees and cedar trees and of course a swimming pool! Also, a popular feature is to shade west-facing windows with metal roofed awnings.

My decor leans towards early American and earth tones because I like the simple lines and soothing colors since the architecture takes center stage.

Texas is very regional in its architecture. If I see a picture of a (new construction) house in Texas I can tell if it is from Dallas, Houston, Austin or Lubbock - all very distinctive.

Pics from my idea file (all TX Hill Country Homes):

{{gwi:1737755}}

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

Here is an example of some of the original Hill Country settlers' architecture (fachwerk) from the Fredericksburg, TX, website:

• kellyeng
    14 years ago

Here are a couple more Fredericksburg German homes (my house looks a lot like the sepia pic):

{{gwi:1737765}}

{{gwi:1737767}}

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

I have lived in the center of the US with the exception of college-colorado.

Living on the west coast my entire life I kind of consider Colorado to be pretty close to the center of the US. In fact it's not far from the geographic center of the contiguous US, which is in Lebanon, Kansas.
    I remember as a kid being surprised at how far east the "midwest" was.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geographic center of the contiguous United States.

• segbrown
    14 years ago

But no one in Colorado considers themselves part of the Midwest ... or "center." :-) Rocky Mountain West is the most accurate description, I guess.

Funny how some descriptive place names make no sense anymore, like "Northwestern U" in Chicago. When it was founded, it *was* the northwest!

• desertsteph
    14 years ago

"We have dust/dirt constantly blowing in the air (much like an old western movie)"

being in the AZ desert, i sure can understand this. i have dust and dirt filtering thru my place on a regular basis. i should bill Mother Earth for filtering services...(it would help if my windows and doors actually closed tho)I was raised in Indiana in mostly older homes then moved into a very modern house in 1969 when i married. that was terrible. i don't think i was ever comfortable there. I liked old houses with high ceilings, woodwork etc. my colors were greens, browns,rusts, golds,teal... in '84 i moved west (have lived in AZ, then to high desert CA and back to AZ) and i love the southwestern style, design etc. my choice today would be a sante fe or adobe house. I just love them - tho mixed with old furniture, oriental rugs etc.

In Indiana I wouldn't have thought of ever NOT having full window drapes/curtains/shades. Out here I really don't want ANY. need some for the heat of the summer tho but that's about it. otherwise I want my windows clear to see my views. I do have a view of the Superstitions (a bit clouded these days by houses built across the road). I want to see the saguaro to my east, the mtns to the north, west and south - and just plain desert.
    I've mixed southwestern things in with my Indiana antiques and i love the saguaro, coyotes and kokopellis (we even have real coyotes outside). I've been merging them in where able to - I'm even looking at cabinet doors with a SW design and am planning a saguaro tile in my backsplash. I love the sunlight pouring in and around me (from yrs of dreary rainy days in IN). my colors here have remained the same - browns, golds, greens, rusts (terracotta), teal, etc.
    i love the nature of the desert and the ability to be outdoors almost year around.

"There's a Spanish-style bungalow near me, peachy stucco and brick with a terracotta-tile roof, and it just looks downright ridiculous. It simply doesn't fit. "

that's what i think when I see an IN type house here in the desert and the people plant grass...

" My point was that not every Texan wears those ridiculous clothes

A fellow Texan who has never met a single soul with a cow hide rug.

I resent people making fun of cowhide rugs, cowboy hats and chaps, which all fall into my scheme. My husband is a real cowboy, and is a cattle rancher. Our home is not the typical "ranch", we have beautiful rock on the exterior walls, and a wrap porch on three sides"

I think many natives of some areas here in the west would also resent it. There are real cowboys out here. i think maybe some people in other areas of the country don't know that? They think it's just a thing from the past, in movies?
    nope, real live ones wearing jeans, big buckles, boots and hats. my bfg fits that somewhat. not a cowboy but a native of OK and has lived in TX and AZ (last 40 yrs).

i'm sure a number of ranchers wouldn't care for it. PW might take offense at it - she has lots of cow hide rugs at the lodge...you might want to check out her lodge remodel sometime.

Here is a link that might be useful: PW and the lodge

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>that's what i think when I see an IN type house here in the desert

But that's what the original American (as opposed to Mexican or Native American) settlers built, you know, so it is part of the AZ vernacular. I lived long ago in the old Cudahy homestead in downtown Phoenix, and that, while looking like a midwestern house, was wonderfully adapted to the desert. Wide porches kept the sun off, the inside had granite-lined closets, etc. I only had a swamp box and it was only uncomfortable about 3 weeks at the height of summer, and then only during the afternoons.

(Last time I was in Phoenix, back in '01, it was still there, but the wimps had installed a giant AC on the roof. 719 N. 4th St, if you're ever in the neighborhood. It looked pretty funny after downtown spread out so much and it was totally surrounded by giant skyscrapers. I'd be curious to know if it's still there.)

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cowhide Rugs/ upholstery also have a midCentury modern (coastal urban) history. Le Corbusier furniture, and Eames furniture was available in cowhide--and still is. I did a project in a modern highrise that is pretty much all off-white, including an off-white cowhide rug.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>I'd be curious to know if it's still there.

Darn. I got inspired to look at it on google earth and it just shows a construction site for what looks like a school. I hope the house got moved and preserved.

• amck2
    14 years ago

I know my New England roots - I've only lived in Maine & New Hampshire my entire life - influence not only how I decorate my home, but also what styles of homes and furnishings I'm drawn to.

I subscribed to "Cottage Living" magazine and when it folded and I began receiving "Southern Living" from the publisher in its stead I simply could not relate to and make use of the decorating tips, recipes, etc. I asked them to stop sending them. It was like sending someone (a non-New Englander) from Arizona a subscription to "Yankee Magazine."

That's not to say I couldn't appreciate how they might appeal to others. And that has been one of the benefits of this forum. I've come to learn about and appreciate styles of decorating from areas different from where I live. Though I think bronwynsmom put it best about how it makes sense to keep in mind where you're living/what style home you have and incorporate that into your decorating.

Speaking of Texans, though, a few years ago a number of top execs from a Texas company moved to our area. Most all of them had homes built because they couldn't find any on the market to their liking. Of the ones I went to, the common denominator was "BIG!" Really big rooms with really high, vaulted ceilings. Seeing them, I realized why no New Englanders & Capes had fit the bill. So my generalization about Texans is that most are accustomed to big, open spaces. Perhaps I'm wrong....

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

This is a very, Very interesting, educational thread for me....thank you for starting it, Palimpsest!

But, I must be very tired.
    When I read the title I thought it said "How does RELIGION....."

Wasn't until I got through half the OP that I realized Religion didn't have anything to do with the topic.

Now that I've read the posts and learned so much, it's time for a nap. :)

• kitchendetective
    14 years ago

Hmm. We raise off-white cattle. Charolais.

I know many cattle ranchers and many people with western and southwestern decor. I don't have any hide rugs, but I wouldn't mind covering a French chair in one. I happen to like hair-on-hide upholstery, too. Just don't happen to have any. I have a couple of leather pieces in the study. My pets like to hang out there in hot weather. When it's cooler, they go for the fabrics.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amity:

I was probably in my thirties when I realized that the "City and Region" segment of our Sunday paper was *not City and Religion. Not only did I misread the title, but I never noticed that there was no religion in it.

• ladyamity
    14 years ago

LOL omg lmao .....Toooo funny!

But at least I don't feel so, so, um......so silly. :)

• hapyfrustrated
    14 years ago

desertsteph, I visit PW's website every day, the lodge she and her husband just remodeled is great!

This is the last I will say on the cowhide rugs, they do fit a certain decorating style. Either you love them or hate them, we have a lot of company and everyone who comes in wants to confiscate my rugs, even people who live in the city!

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

One thing that is interesting also is the relationship of houses in immediate proximities or neighborhoods. Sometimes the division of larger properties and the shift of houses from large (turn of 20th century) to small (postwar) to larger (end of 20th century) is an interesting mix. Sometimes it is jarring.

There is a house nearby that takes the place of four to six of the small turn of the century rowhouses it replaced. The neighborhood is east coast vernacular brick rows. The new house is an Italian Villa with a window on one facade that is as large as the entire facade of some of the other houses. In the window is a staircase and chandelier that would consume the entire interior of the neighboring houses.

The house has a reputation for being hideous and vulgar. (Partly because it was originally planned as a one bedroom 6 full bath 6 car house with a stripper pole in the game room, but I digress)

If you strip the house of its context, its not bad. Its well built and for what they were copying the proportions are good. (I will pass on the interiors (o_O) ) The problem is the *context--it belongs on a canal in Florida, or somewhere in California. Its just in the wrong place.

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I live in the hinterland of a western province of Canada so one of the appropriate house designs here is the log home. There are many log home companies in this region that ship all over the world. We thot of having one built but instead chose a traditional wood frame farmhouse style. It's more my style than log and an appropriate style on an acreage in a forest.

There is every style of house in this area altho the traditional brick or stone does not fit as well. IMO it looks too formal in a rural area. They seem more appropriate in cities and in eastern Canada.

Some differences here are climate related: fewer extremely high ceilings, air conditioning and ceiling fans not a necessity, triple pane low-E windows common, WT to keep out the heat are not as necessary. We get lots of sun here but it's seldom extremely hot. Wood stoves in family/great/LR's are fairly common and I wouldn't want to live without one here. Fireplaces don't give the same heat value and it's so cozy when it's -32F outside. Formal styles are less common.

From what I've seen there really is no typical decor style according to this region altho western/cowboy style is common because of the many cattle ranches and horse activities here.

My life experience has been most influential to me as we've lived all across Canada and in Europe. At one time I was a city gal and never thot I'd live anywhere else. Now I prefer the country. My style is eclectic but leaning to English country cottage. I think it would be the same if I still lived in the city. I've always liked antiques and unique decor.

• bronwynsmom
    14 years ago

Palimpsest, your last post relates to something I think about a lot. People seem to have lost track of the understanding that it is not just a house that has design integrity...it is also a whole neighborhood, and sometimes a whole district...and that it is appallingly inconsiderate to build something that destroys that integrity. If you live on 40 acres and your house is off the road, then, sure, build anything you like. But it is the visual equivalent of playing loud music on outdoor speakers all the time to ruin the rhythm and grace of a place just for one's own satisfaction.
    Cities establish historic districts with architectural controls, and gated communities create covenants, to protect residents from each others' excesses. And it's hard to appreciate the value of those restrictions until you make an investment in a neighborhood you love, only to have your next door neighbor turn his property into something completely incompatible with what everyone else has chosen to respect.

• saltnpeppa
    14 years ago

Palimpsest,
    Forgot to ask.....what kind of rock t-shirt would you be wearing with your Pumas? :)

Smiles:)

• zeebee
    14 years ago

Another Northeasterner here, living in NYC. It's hard to make sweeping statements about NYC because an industrial loft, a townhouse, a post-war high rise apartment and a semi-attached frame are all housing choices and they tend to have different decorating styles.

There are some common elements: hardwood floors (ranging from oak parquet in the traditional homes to bamboo in the modern ones); area rugs but very rarely wall-to-wall carpeting except in a bedroom; very few en-suite baths except in new construction; lots of subway tile in bathrooms, even the modern-leaning ones. Kitchens are smaller; our kitchen will be about 15 x 12 and that's pretty good-sized for the area. In the apartment I owned before, my kitchen was a long skinny 9x14 and was considered a BIG kitchen for an apartment.

Specific to my type of house: I own a brick townhouse in a neighborhood of brick, brownstone and limestone townhouses, all of which were built between the mid-1840s and 1900. Townhouse owners here tend to go to one of two extremes: either restoring the woodwork, preserving the plasterwork and decorating with Victorian period-appropriate colors, wallpaper and furniture; or gutting the house of all original detail and embracing a clean, almost minimalist look. Radiant heat and central air/forced heat are hard to do without gutting a house and having a willingness to drop ceilings and build out soffits. Unless your home has been recently renovated, it will use steam or hot-water radiators in the winter and window air conditioners in the summer.

• cooperbailey
    14 years ago

The first house I lived in was on the Salt River Indian Reservation in AZ, just a wooden cottage raised up on concrete footings. Some years later - my Mom and Dad bought a brand new rancher in Phoenix- this was late 50's when the 6 story Westward Ho Hotel was the tallest building in Phoenix. Our house, as most were in the area, was a pink cinderblock built on a polished concrete slab. No two story homes or basements. The older areas had a few 2 story homes but that wasnt the norm,that was old Phoenix money or the Wrigleys! We had vinyl tile, popcorn ceilings and wool avocado wall to wall in the living room.Later shag rugs in the bedrooms!( pink and red for me!) When I was a teen we had a decorator that chose traditional furniture with a mediterranean Spanish flair and used pecan wood tables.All of the windows had WTs that would keep the sun out. Some people used to foil over their windows.I never heard of a roller shade until we moved back east to MD. Also never encountered stairs, except in the old Montgomery Ward store which was a story and a half balcony! I think we leaned traditional with a Spanish flair because my Mom grew up in a huge Victorian with land in the Maryland countryside and my Dad grew up in a big house in Mass,in a clapboard center hall colonial.
    I still live in MD in a small colonial revival house built in 1923. My taste has changed from Colonial Williamsburg to "cottage whatever". I think it is more comfy for us. and vintage thrift stuff mixes well with family pieces -the real colonial antiques and the victorian antiques. My neighborhood is mostly colonial revivals, quite a few Queen Anne Victorians as well as some gothic victorians. There are also quite a few 4 squares. Most all of the houses were built in the 20s with a few in the 1880s.
    Traditional decor seems to be the norm and seems to be age related- Potterybarn-esque for the younger crowd to Wiiliamsburg traditional and a couple -make- you -gulp Victorians( and not in a good way)
    Unfortunately the trend here in the last 10 years has been huge great room add ons- so you have many houses built in late 1880s early 20's with monstrous things sticking out the back. Definitely not in keeping with the vintage of the house. Inside, these rooms are beautiful but lack the charm that is found in the rest of the house.Crossing into the great room is like entering another country, one that has little to do with the rest of the house.Looks like they all use the same floorplan. Predictible.

Talk about stereotypes, Aunt Jane and Lynne no offense, but when I was growing up, to us Arizonians ya'll were Easterners to us! Bit of snobs we were. Still am as far as Mexican food! LOL

I equate the Kokopelli Southwestern style of decor with the big hair of the 80s! Never saw any of it growing up in AZ, just in the East and thought who are they fooling with that fake stuff?

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    14 years ago

>Never saw any of it growing up in AZ, just in the East and thought who are they fooling with that fake stuff?

Likewise! Oh, the Westward Ho. Even when I was living in downtown Phoenix that was the tallest building if I looked west instead of south. Memories, memories.

• palimpsest
    Original Author
    14 years ago

scoobyruby:

One of my favorite t-shirts is a SMITHS Hatful of Hollow in the light blue of the album cover. I have people stop and ask how and where I found it.

I bought it in 1986 or 87, when you could just go to Zipperhead and get one. Since it is *still something special, I have found out, I only wear it very occasionally and store it carefully.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

RE: How does your region affect your decor?

It affects us purty good.

We got a nice place to live here:

We got one of them there flat screen TVs with a sateelite:

Are dawgs got there own house:

We got a bar bee cue out back:

We even got us an alarm system:

We built us a special mailbox:

And inside we got all the nice stuff:

We really like it here in Washington.

• bellaflora
    14 years ago

oceanna: LOL -- love the bbq. Talk a/b recycle & being green, you Washingtonians rock : -D

• User
    14 years ago

Dang, I thought that was Miz-sah-sippi--not War-shing-tun. ;)

Being born and raised in the TRADITIONAL Sowuth, and being hard headed and contrary, I'm afraid that I'm the "anti-South" when it comes to my personal taste. I wanted to get as far away from Traditional as I could. I like streamlined and uber modern. Glass and stainless steel and concrete. Form following function. So, I'd say that my location has certainly affected my decor and taste! Just not quite in the way you'd expect. LOL!

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Oh yeah, Bella and Livewire. They don't call us the Emerald City for nothin ya know.

I fergot to show you this little beauty my mister git me fer are first anniversary. Talk about recyclin, I know you decoratein folks would really apreeshiate this. I love this green livin.

• oceanna
    14 years ago

Nobody liked my green... er... silver sofa?

• User
    14 years ago

Well, the silver sofas that I'm used to are usually the duct tape slip covered ones. That silver plastic would sure work right for the sofa on the porch next to the washing machine though! ;)

• patricianat
    14 years ago

For those who are not happy living in the region they are in, "Delta is ready when you are."