SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joe_williams27

Killing or controlling bermuda grass in KBG/fescue lawn

Joe Williams
5 years ago

I'm looking for advice on killing/controlling bermuda grass. Quick history...I'm located in zone 5b, central Indiana. I have a .75 acre lawn in a residential neighborhood with a mix of KBG and fescue. KBG is the predominate grass, but in this area with a lawn that big most lawns have a mix which I do. I do all my own lawn care and I do work to keep a relatively weed free lawn, although with a lawn that big I don't even attempt to have a "perfect" lawn. I just purchased this 18 year old home during the winter of 2017 so I've just had one summer with the lawn. It had sat empty for 2-3 years with minimal lawn care, so last summer my focus was getting it back in shape and I made huge strides in one summer. However...I have one patch near the house, approximately 20' x 50' of bermuda grass. Probably got started as a small patch and quickly began spreading when the lawn wasn't being cared for. Through my research last summer, turflon ester seemed to be the most recommended plan for controlling bermuda. I understand because of it's sprawling root system it can be near impossible to erradicate, so I know I may be up for a few growing seasons of work to get this under control before it continues taking over areas of the lawn. I got a treatment of turflon ester down in September and another in October 2018 and saw some noticeable top growth kill. However it began going dormant shortly after so I'm not sure how successful I was. I also thought I noticed a little damage to KBG from the turflon, but I'm not sure.

Sorry for the long post:) Just thought it would be helpful to get all the info included. My question....does anyone have experience with turflon ester on bermuda grass in a KBG/fescue lawn? Are there any other treatments or combination of treatments I should consider? There is still enough good grass mixed in with the bermuda that I feel knocking it back with turflon every 30 days and letting the other grass become dominant is the best course. But I'm open to any and all advice if you've had a similar experience.

Comments (4)