SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kimberly_barker7942434

Cabinet Molding Crisis

Kimberly
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi All,

Ok, just to get it out of the way, I am a bit crazy (cursed?) when it comes to straight lines. Something can be off a tiny fraction of an inch and it will drive me insane. I am actually pretty in touch with the fact that I'm probably overly dramatic about it and sometimes I just try to live with things. Sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't.:-0 Case in point, I am at the tail end of updating/remodeling my kitchen and the upper cabinet molding project has hit some snags. My house ended up having some ceiling variations that caused some molding issues and I'm not sure how to address it or even if I should. In person, it looks worse to be honest -- the slope in this one section is pretty pronounced and it's right in your face if you are sitting in the kitchen breakfast area. I have tried to just leave it be, but it's really bothering me and I keep wondering if this could have even approached in a better or different way that would have helped it look straighter in person...

I think what happened is ceiling slopes slightly downward from left to right, so the contractor was trying to follow the ceiling, but I feel like doing that and letting the line on the cabinet slope downward made it more obvious. So was there a different way we should have looked at doing this? Would it have been better to attach the molding straight and then worry about the gap between the molding and the ceiling instead of following the ceiling which makes the actual 2nd piece of small molding slope itself? There are a few other places that have issues but I can overlook most of those as they aren't as pronounced...this one just really bothers me and it makes me feel like I want to rip that whole little top piece off (not something I wanted in the first place, but they said it helps with ceiling variation :-0 ) and figure out how to make it less noticeable.

Please note: this photo really isn't helping my case because for whatever reason, it doesn't look nearly as bad here as it does when you're standing in the actual kitchen. I actually had a couple of people ask me about it even (one who is as wacko as me when it comes to lines, admittedly, and one the fridge installer) so I know it's not just me!

So, how do you approach an uneven ceiling and the need for molding to get up to it and look good? Thank you in advance! As always!

Kimberly

Comments (21)