SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smdobransky

1950s Kitchen Update Cabinet Color Crisis!

smdobransky
7 years ago

Hello! I am having a bit of a white variant crisis! I inherited my grandfather's 1950 house and am grateful for the solid wood cabinets he put up (albeit they are a few decades dated by now). Our contractor comes next week to paint, cut off the wood scallops, lay new wood floor, butcher block countertop, etc. I've decided on Sherwin Williams Storm cloud for the bottom cabinets as I think they will go quite well with our butcher block countertops:

Now I desperately need help with cabinet color, ceiling color, and wall color!

As you can see, we have a soffit above the cabinets, and obviously a ceiling above that. Should the cabinets be the same color as the soffit? Should the soffit be the same color as the walls, cabinets a different color, and ceiling another? We use Sherwin Williams Extra White on all our house trim and will most likely carry that into the kitchen.

We have considered: Sherwin Williams Alabaster, Dover White, and West Highland White for the cabinets at the recommendation of a SW store rep.

I love the Dover White, have Alabaster in our Hallway, and White Duck in the living room and Dining Room.

I was leaning towards the Dover White on the walls - but then what on the cabinets? Dover White as Well? I'm nervous the Extra White Trim and Ceiling will make the Dover White look dingy.

Really I would love any white (probably warmer or neutral in tone) color combinations that others have used in their kitchens.

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this!

Comments (24)