SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
censalata

Remodel Ideas for 80s Living Room with Dark Trim

Christina
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi. First post here! I'm considering purchasing a dated 1980s contemporary chalet. My first instinct was to paint the trim white, but there's SO much of it throughout the house, I was thinking it'd be easier to leave it dark and try to enjoy the new challenge of designing with the dark trim in place. I would like to make the space feel cottage-y and relaxing, pottery barn-esque, but not pretentious (which I'm sure means different things to different people). I need help for ideas on trim, paint, flooring, fireplace, curtains, lighting... anything would help! I was also thinking of installing tongue-and groove cedar/pine ceiling. Not sure if it should be light/dark/medium stain...

Almost all the pictures I've seen online for designing with dark trim stick to very neutral beige/brown/white/cream palettes, but I fear that it would be exceptionally boring to do so throughout the entirety of the house. Ideally I would like to try to find ways to incorporate my favorite colors, which are pops of blues, greens and deep pinks and purples.... Thoughts?

Actual Living Room Pics (not the best, but they're all I have):

I found these images on http://designindulgence.blogspot.com/2013/07/before-and-after.html and liked them though they're quite neutral. They don't include the bright pinks/purple/greens that I like. But I'm not sure it's possible to get the bright pinks/purples/greens to go with the dark trim...

Here are some decorations I have in my current home. I love these colors but want them to be cohesive and not overwhelming in the new space: (I threw several items in one pic; this isn't how it's laid out in my actual house). Not sure if I could ever get any of these colors in a palette with dark trim. I don't know how to make the look sophisticated.

Click on this one to see the pretty lampshade that's cut off>>

This is a photo that I love:

Finally, here are some neutral rooms with dark trim that I think are very sophisticated, well-designed, beautiful, and relaxing but BORING:

The next two pictures are moving more in the right direction with the pops of color but still a bit boring for my taste. I do notice they look way more sophisticated then the decorations I showed from my house though. I want a sophisticated look, but I also want some excitement...

Ideas?? I would love any input! Thank you :)

Comments (4)