SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aziline

Building a home and keeping workers happy

aziline
5 years ago

The toilet being used thread got me thinking about this.

Little background. I grew up in S CA and my dad build cabinets for higher to high end homes. In the late 80s and early 90s on the weekends or during the summers I would go on install jobs with him. I remember one job where the owners wife would get lunch at least once a week for the workers/subs and was at the job site a lot cleaning/sweeping or doing what ever little job needed to be done. My dad said how nice that was and that stuck with me.

20 years later when I was finally able to build me own house, in Northern Utah, I made sure there was always a cooler with ice, water and at least 3-4 different sodas. Electrician wanted Pepsi but I was buying Coke? I made sure there was Pepsi on the days he was there. Where we built there isn't a gas station within 10 minutes so I figured it was the least I could do. But everyone was so appreciative that it was clear that what I did was beyond typical/normal owner behavior.

So my question is this.... Is my thinking of making the happy workers typical/normal of people that are building? Or is the more general thought "that is the job job are paying them for"? Now I will say that no one took advantage and I didn't have the cooler emptied or the extras in the boxes disappear overnight so I don't know how I would have handled that.

What did you guys do/expect for your builds?

Comments (15)